Tesla Motors Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.3

Global Supply Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process I went through involved a lot of phone interviews because I lived 2500 miles away from San Francisco.

1. Applied Online
    2. Phone screening with internal recruiter
    3. Phone interview with hiring manager
    4. Phone interview with potential co-worker
    5. On-site interview with several managers and internal recruiter

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for Tesla?   1 Answer

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process is very tedious, Stressful and not fun. 1) Recruiter Interview 2) online coding exam 3) Total 3 Telephonic Interviews. 4) onsite interview -7 people -1-1+ 1 presentation -30 min

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and Basic Technical Questions. Process is so lengthy and stressful. They do not have good process defined. They can ask random questions. It does not matter how much you read and give best in the interview, they reject the candidate all the time. Recruiters are very slow in reply. Tesla should respect the candidate. Overall negative experience on selection process.   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Did an HR phone screen, phone tech screen, and then they insisted on bringing me out for an in person interview right away.

Onsite, I did basically an entire day of back to back interviews with various team members, with a lot of overlap in conversation (could probably had done a few panel interviews and gotten the same result, and wasted less of my time).

After seeing the work environment, even if I had been offered a position, I'd have declined. You are literally packed in like cattle, and it is just noisy, hot, and crowded... not a conducive environment to software engineering, and it really shows why Tesla is struggling so much to keep employees.

Finally, the final round of my interview, with the department head, was just disregarded completely. I think it was fairly obvious that they had made a decision early on in the process, and that’s fine… I just wish they hadn’t wasted so damn much of my time.

On the bright side I got to visit the Bay Area and enjoy some nice weather for a half a day.

The worst part of the whole experience is you have to wait to get reimbursed for meals, hotel, & rental car... Tesla insisted on me coming out there, the least they can do is not make me go out of pocket to cover the arrangements they made, and then have to wait a week + to get reimbursed.

There are finer and more employee centric companies in the Vally, I advise avoiding this one.

Interview Questions

• White boarding math equations unrelated to actually performing the job requirements   Answer Question
    • White board programming questions / equations   Answer Question

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Spent a long time filling out Tesla's own form application after submitting resume online, did a phone interview with recruiter, did a Security "APTitude" challenge, and then was told they were going with other candidates in their pipeline.

Interview Questions

• General background questions, experience, goals, compensation desired.   Answer Question

Power Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The HR is nice and response promptly. The hiring manager and engineers have deep insight of the areas they are working on. The questions they asked during the interview covered several areas on power electronics.

Interview Questions

• Inductor design for converters; basics of semiconductors   Answer Question

Installation Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I contacted several employees on LinkedIn. I got one response and after we spoke, he referred me to a recruiter. Quick interview with the recruiter and he set up two phone interviews with two managers. Both went well. They then scheduled the on site interview.

It was along day of interviews, really great people but one was arrogant and rude.

I was not informed if I got the job, a week later I emailed the recruiter and was only told then I didn't have enough experience and didn't get it.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Long and intensive, lots of attention to details and hard questions to have you work though. a lot of questions on GD&T and statics. Required a presentation to begin with where I had to present something i had designed and explain it fully. that lasted 30 minutes, then 8 or so one on one interviews followed.

Interview Questions

• how would you set up datums for this part.   1 Answer

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

They really don't care if you don't have experience but I recommend to look up about Tesla, Elon Musk and their products. Cause they expect you to know it all even if you have no experience what so ever.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Coding Challenge (3-4 hour problem submitted via email).
    2. 2 Phone Interviews (1 hour) - Technical questions
    3. On-Site Interview (full day) - Prepare a 15 min. presentation followed by one on ones with ~5 people. You're brought to the engineering floor and assigned a conference room (where you'll stay for the entire duration of the interview; lunch will be brought to you). I was told by the recruiter that the on-site is strictly non-technical and just a chance for others to see whether there'd be a good culture/personality fit, however, each interviewer ended up asking me technical problems anyway. One interviewer brought in my coding challenge solution and asked me about any bugs/optimizations that could've been done.

Questions range from the typical technical coding problems to C++ basics.

Interview Questions

• What is a virtual function and how does the compiler handle them?   Answer Question
    • Write a function to find the angle between the minute and hour hand in an analog clock.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via linkedin, we had a quick phone call and he brought me onsite the next week. I was fairly unimpressed during the interview. Standard behavioral questions, but I was asked the same question by 6 different people. Employees of Tesla are very passionate about their work, and the product. They're looking for someone who is just as passionate. The interview did not give me insight on the team culture. The recruiter who spoke with me on the phone completely forgot about our phone conversation, so I had to repeat myself. I felt undervalued as an interviewer and they definitely let the name, Tesla, speak for itself. Two weeks has pass and no answer, I am assuming it was a no.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe an amazing candidate experience?   Answer Question