Tesla Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

3.3

97 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Very disappointing, disrespectful, unprofessional experience at Tesla, Palo Alto.
    Low energy incompetent individuals are on the team.
    The team doesn't know how to ask questions. They have this weird pride that they know every aspect of Tesla. Total waste of time! Recruiting Manager was the worst he didn’t seem very bright.

The recruiting coordinator was late. She just emailed a confirmed interview schedule rather than asking what times work. Total unprofessional work!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Overall process was very slow, 1-2 months. 1 Interview per week, 3 to 4 phone interviews, one final in person interview for about 4+ hours, had to give a presentation. Recruiter was awesome to work with. In person interview was back to back to back interviews with endless questions, some easy, some hard.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about electricity?
      What do you know about Tesla?   Answer Question

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long to say the least. There was a recruiter phone screen, two technical phone screens, a project, all to get to an on-site. For the on-site, my first task of the day was to give a presentation, before being interviewed for several hours by members of the team I was working for.

That being said, the interviews were useful and relevant. The first technical phone screen was simply a coding challenge where the interviewer gave a coder-pad and let me work until I was done. The project was actually pretty interesting, not terribly difficult, and a lot of fun. While the presentation was stressful to do, it felt almost like a victory lap. The questions asked during the interview were mostly relevant, with one trick question, but nothing felt overly forced.

Oh and you get to ride in a tesla after it's done. That was by far the best part.

The one piece of feedback I'd give is that the entire process was long. I think the second technica phonescreen was also not that useful.

The offer extended was fair, and comp was well in line with other companies of similar size.

Overall I think Tesla has done well in overhauling some old processes and it's definitely better than what's been noted before.

Interview Questions

• Imagine it is raining over a 100m stretch of 2-d road. Each raindrop falls onto a random position. Once it hits a stretch of road it expands to a length of 5cm. Write code that tracks each raindrop and determines when the road is entirely saturated.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Began with typical phone screens with recruiters and engineers. Had a coding challenge that was extremely simple. Moved into an onsite that was primarily focused on tech and some process.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was very long. The process took 5+ months. First, call with the Recruiter (Technical Recruiter). Then, a series of interviews with the hiring manager. Along the process, I was given some take home technical challenges. I had to complete the challenges and submit my answers via email within 2 days time. After that, an on-site interview with a past project presentation, completely technical. This was the toughest round. It involved one-on-one interviews with engineers at Tesla from all departments. The questions they asked were from every different aspect of engineering you can imagine. Mechanical, electrical, software, hardware, manufacturing, design, thermodynamics, etc. Yes! It's that varied. And most of it (not all) is not even related to what the job description says. You might say "well, they just want to test how diverse is your knowledge." But hey, when a candidate has already spent 5+ months with you answering questions directly related to the position, why would you expect him to know answers to all the unrelated branches of engineering science when you call him on-site for what is supposed to be the "last round". I mean, when it is the last round, shouldn't you be testing the candidate for exactly the skills he/she needs to have to be the right fit for the role? Well, whatever. I hope they find a genius they are looking for. From what I can say, it won't be someone who is a fresher and an entry-level candidate without any formal industry experience. It has to be someone with A LOT of industry experience. And that's alright! Just mention this to the candidate along the interview process at least once before wasting everyone's time.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Length interview process (outlined below). However, I like this, that means everyone is properly vetted, and can be held to the same standard. Nobody can just weasel their way in.
    1. Call with recruiter
    2. Call with manager
    3. written skills test
    4. On site interview with presentation
    5. Six one-on-one interview with various potential coworkers

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Tesla   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back and forth with recruiter, not too much negotiation really. An offer was given, I could accept or deny.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process is very tedious, Stressful and not fun. 1) Recruiter Interview 2) online coding exam 3) Total 3 Telephonic Interviews. 4) onsite interview -7 people -1-1+ 1 presentation -30 min

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and Basic Technical Questions. Process is so lengthy and stressful. They do not have good process defined. They can ask random questions. It does not matter how much you read and give best in the interview, they reject the candidate all the time. Recruiters are very slow in reply. Tesla should respect the candidate. Overall negative experience on selection process.   Answer Question

Global Supply Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process I went through involved a lot of phone interviews because I lived 2500 miles away from San Francisco.

1. Applied Online
    2. Phone screening with internal recruiter
    3. Phone interview with hiring manager
    4. Phone interview with potential co-worker
    5. On-site interview with several managers and internal recruiter

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for Tesla?   1 Answer

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Did an HR phone screen, phone tech screen, and then they insisted on bringing me out for an in person interview right away.

Onsite, I did basically an entire day of back to back interviews with various team members, with a lot of overlap in conversation (could probably had done a few panel interviews and gotten the same result, and wasted less of my time).

After seeing the work environment, even if I had been offered a position, I'd have declined. You are literally packed in like cattle, and it is just noisy, hot, and crowded... not a conducive environment to software engineering, and it really shows why Tesla is struggling so much to keep employees.

Finally, the final round of my interview, with the department head, was just disregarded completely. I think it was fairly obvious that they had made a decision early on in the process, and that’s fine… I just wish they hadn’t wasted so damn much of my time.

On the bright side I got to visit the Bay Area and enjoy some nice weather for a half a day.

The worst part of the whole experience is you have to wait to get reimbursed for meals, hotel, & rental car... Tesla insisted on me coming out there, the least they can do is not make me go out of pocket to cover the arrangements they made, and then have to wait a week + to get reimbursed.

There are finer and more employee centric companies in the Vally, I advise avoiding this one.

Interview Questions

• White boarding math equations unrelated to actually performing the job requirements   Answer Question
    • White board programming questions / equations   Answer Question

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Spent a long time filling out Tesla's own form application after submitting resume online, did a phone interview with recruiter, did a Security "APTitude" challenge, and then was told they were going with other candidates in their pipeline.

Interview Questions

• General background questions, experience, goals, compensation desired.   Answer Question