Tesla Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screen and then onsite interview with panel of 4 one after the other. Initial focus is on recent projects and made comfortable. Then each Engineer in the team focusing on different areas of technology stack. Office work place looks ok and everyone is busy all over.

Interview Questions

• 1. Recent project
    2. API design
    3. SQL Queries given a problem to solve   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

good 4 hours interview at tesla onsite all are really experienced employees. very fast paced company. technically good background they have. reached there by 2 pm. came out by 6pm. expected the offer. but in last minute I came to know that not going to release for me. no idea. why it is not.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA).

Interview

6 step process:
    a) With recruiter to get a general idea of fitness.
    b) Codility
    c) Phone Interview with Hiring Manager
    d) Onsite interview with 3 people
          i) Web API , SQL, Database design, C#
         ii) Infrastructure, discuss previous projects
       iii) Culture fit, behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Advantage of WebAPI. Greatest Weakness. How to handle technical challenge.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter phone call about the role and my background. Phone interviews that were basically coding challenges on hackerrank. Onsite interviews that included a couple coding, a system design, and a behavioral interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Very bad interview process. Lot of recriters will call for the same opening. Always multiple submission. Few recruiters has some insiders in Teslamotors. First the insider will call and ask quesitons. Ultimately the resume stops at recruiters end and we never get chance to take real interview. Still below are some expectation to full fill from recruiters end.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through website. Got contacted fairly quickly by HR and a week later by the hiring manager. Phone interview went great. Was called in for an on-site interview. The first group went fine, the second person was clearly not prepared or had no interview experience because his questions were vague and he did not seem to have a goal in mind.

The third group was something special... it consisted of the most senior engineer and the hiring manager. The engineer came in with an attitude. He asked me a question about a project I worked on and then claimed that the technology I used for that project did not exist. What do you say to that? I used it for over three years with success and he flat-out denied that it existed. I tried to remain polite, but was stunned and could not do much more than explain to him that it really did exist. Then, after reading a two-sentence project description of a different project he concluded that my design for that project was completely wrong... Again, I tried to explain, but I felt like I was talking to a six-year old. The worst part was that the hiring manager just sat there and let it happen. I looked at him for any reaction or help, but it was clear he was afraid to disagree with his engineer.
    So, here we have an anti-social, arrogant engineering lead and his weak department manager, which is a recipe for disaster. Within ten minutes I lost all interest in the position. The engineer then proceeded to ask obscure questions involving a lot of syntax and nit-pick every little mistake. By this time I could not care less, so I stopped even trying.

Still, I would not call the entire experience negative. I talked to some very friendly people and all follow-ups were prompt and professional. I won't let one (or two) bad apples spoil it and I would consider applying for a position in a different department (because the one I interviewed for is going to be in deep trouble).

Tips for the company: Give your people interview training. I have interviewed a lot of engineers over the years and I have my routine down pat. Secondly, questions that can be answered by a 5 second Google search are terrible interview questions and teach you nothing about the candidate. Thirdly, fire your lead before it is too late. Finally, if you demand perfect syntax during an interview, you should probably leave the interviewing to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question: "Write a class."... Uhm, excuse me? After asking for more details it was all the direction I was going to get... so I wrote a class declaration.. Bizarre.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

technical recruiter reached out to me through linkedin and worked with him on scheduling an interview. had the first round of interview via phone. he was very nice. it was my first interview in 6 years so i was nervous and didnt answer it well.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

2 coding
    1 design
    1 behavioral
    One full day of loop interviews to office onsite, Will ask you all Leet code questions.
    Behavioral questions are pretty much standard.
    Design whatsapp.
    questions related to your resume.
    past experience