Tesla Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Test Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First a phone interview with a recruiting agency followed by two phone interviews with Tesla staff, a manager and a team member. Next is the onsite interview that last one day with a presentation to the team followed by multiple one on one interviews.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The process began in December of 2014 where I declined the offer. When the section began to pick up steam I was recontacted in January of 2016. The interview process took 3 months of phone calls, SKYPE interviews, and a 5 hour on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Tesla...   1 Answer
    • Lots of specific technical questions   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in October 2017.

Interview

Applied directly through the website and was contacted the next day by a hiring manager, who informed me that I seemed to be an ideal candidate for the position for more than one department. After a brief phone interview, the hiring manager let me know that he needed to talk with the various group managers, and said that they wanted me to move forward to the next step, which was a practical exam. The exam was timed and done entirely online...which I did, within a reasonable amount of time. I sent the exam and NEVER received any follow up. I waited and followed up myself and never received any further communication. So after being told that I was an "ideal" candidate, I was just left in the dark. I don't feel that my performance on the practical exam could have been that bad, and although there were a few questions that I could not answer (which I already told the hiring manager that I did not have experience with prior to the test, and they seemed fine with it), I was able to answer everything else that I did have experience with. Completely unprofessional handling in that they did not even bother to let me know they decided not to move forward with me during the selection process.

Interview Questions

• Agreed not to share questions asked   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a full-day on-site interview with 6 members of the team. Day started with a technical presentation on a topic of my choice. Interviews had lots of abstract questions testing fundamental concepts and general practical engineering knowledge. Overall it was a great experience - we just talked shop and the questions seemed more like formalities.

Interview Questions

• What are some parameters of a battery module drop test   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in December 2014.

Interview

An HR rep emailed me to set up a phone interview the next day. Interviewer missed the first appointment and after I contacted him, he setup another interview for the following day. He missed that appointment too and finally called about an hour later. The interview went pretty well and lasted about 40 minutes. At the end of the interview he told me they were interested in proceeding to the next phase which would be another phone interview with him, his manager and possibly an engineer from the team the position was with. This was 3 weeks ago and nothing has happened since then. I have sent several emails and left a few messages on his voicemail and haven't gotten any response at all.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were that difficult. Mostly they were just basic questions about my experiences listed on my resume and a few questions about my problem solving process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Apply on campus recruit, and is informed to be interviewed next day at campus. It's a normal interview, mainly asking me to tell the details about my resume. Didn't get the second round interview (technical). And the HR even forget to tell me the result.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had my resume in their system and also had a copy forwarded to employees by co-workers who knew people that worked there. I was contacted by a general hiring manager who didn't seem to know much about the jobs I would be applying for, and they just asked about my resume and past employment history. I got passed onto the next hiring manager who was responsible for the group I would hope to work with. The questions from this hiring manager were much more specific and delved deeper into each item we discussed. I didn't get to hear about what would be expected of me in the positions, or much about the opportunities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I sent my resume in to an alum from my college and she passed it along to the hiring manager of the division. The first email communication I received was a request to set up a preliminary phone interview. The interview was mostly just gauging my interest in the position, my interest in the company, and a few questions about my resume. From there, they requested another phone interview for the following week. The second phone interview was mostly questions about my experiences and what I consider my qualifications. Afterwards, I received another email asking to setup a third phone interview. The third phone interview was with another person in the department and covered somewhat similar material.

After the three phone interviews, they asked to schedule an on site with me. That process was pretty quick, and they paid for the travel, rental car, and hotel (and up to $50 of food per day). The on site process started with me giving a 30 minute presentation of my choice, and then 4 hours of technical interviews. The interviews asked about fundamental aspects of EE for the most part.

In the end, they did not give me an offer because I did not have enough professional experience (despite that as a new grad, I had two summers of internships and three semesters of working with company sponsored projects). They said they needed someone who could contribute week one and could not spare the month needed to train me up to speed.

It was a tough process and a bitter-sweet result, but it was a good learning experience.

Interview Questions

• Why does putting an op-amp voltage follower circuit too close (physically) to the DUT make it unstable?   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla in April 2014.

Interview

After submitting an online application for the position, I was contacted by on of the recruiters within a few days to set up a time for a phone interview. During this preliminary interview, I had to run through my resume with the recruiter. Most questions were simple and mainly to judge if I knew what I had put on my resume. He did want to know about other places I had been applying to, with particular names.

Interview Questions

• Not a specific question but more like a recurring was to ensure the interviewer that I had genuine interest in and passion for working at Tesla and that I would be comfortable with the long hours of work frequently faced while working there.   Answer Question