Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Interview Questions

Interviews at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Attorney II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of three. Supervisor took notes while two staff members asked questions. Most questions were technical or role related instead of personality based or the top interview questions you would expect. Then given 15 minutes for a written response to one question. Then I was given an opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your greatest achievements? How did you work towards it and what was the key to your success?   Answer Question

Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in October 2008.

Interview

I applied for the position of Audit Manager in this state agency after learning about it from a friend. The application was filled out on line, but had to be mailed/faxed. The invitation came about one week later in letter form with directions attached. The interview was conducted by the Chief Auditor and an Audit Manager. They had prepared questions, which were generic, mostly to get an impression of my managerial and people skills. There were no audit questions, per se. The Chief Auditor described the duties of the vacant position and benefits. The interview took place in a small conference room in the afternoon and it was blazing hot. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, and I was given a walk-thru of the suite including introductions to staff. About five days later, the Chief Auditor called to tell me that I had not been selected for the position that I interviewed for, but he offered me a new position as the Information Technology Audit Manager. He informed me of the salary and expected start date. I accepted the offer. Subsequently, I learned that the state agency had a predefined hiring process for all hiring managers to follow and that these managers had received training in the approved hiring process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted the initial offer for a couple reasons. First, I had been retired for nearly three years which created a gap in my employment history except for volunteer work. Second, due to this break in employment, I felt my skills were a little rusty and appreciated being given a chance to demonstrate my worthwhileness (if that's a word). My advice to older workers returning to full time employment, be prepared to demonstrate your continued involvement in your chosen profession by attending professional group meetings, maintaining your affiliation with professional groups, and keeping up your professional certifications/licenses (CPEs).

Natural Resource Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Interview

I interviewed to become a Watermaster Specialist. Two people interviewed me. Only one spoke but they both wrote down my answers. First they did some "housecleaning" as she called it which was just asking if I would be able to start on a certain date and those kind of questions. Then they had a paper with prewritten questions which they went through with me. She let me skip a question then go back to it at the end (but I didn't get the job so I don't suggest that) Then they let me ask questions. That was it. No test or anything else.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if a landowner got mad and in your face while you were out in the field?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Interview

The interview started out with them asking me very general questions like "describe a time with a difficult customer," "what experience do you have with data entry," etc. However, the interview then went on and they asked me very technical questions as well as some abbreviations. This job was specifically for air quality, but make sure you brush up on your environmental law for whatever division the interview is with. Also make sure you brush up on abbreviations, they asked me what EPA and PPM meant, but they also asked me some that I didn't know. They also gave me a written question that required me to convert tons to pounds and also one in which I had to find the % concentration of bleach in water. The questions below were some of the hard ones that they asked me, but one should also review just general interview questions as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview with them instead of onsite interview. It was pretty organized, and I was asked 17 questions. It feels like that they need a specialist with the skill sets of GIS, excel, and customer services.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you think you are the best candidate for this position?
      2. How do you resolve coworkers' conflict?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online. I heard back a week and a half later to schedule an in person interview. The interviewers were personable and friendly and asked both technical and behavioral questions. Some of the technical questions were a bit challenging, but they didn't expect your answer to be 100% correct. I hadn't heard back 3 weeks after the interview, and so I contacted them and found out that the position had been filled. I wish the hiring managers did a better job of notifying unsuccessful candidates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a disagreement with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Basic behavioral and situational interview questions. One person asked the question while another person wrote down what I said. It was a very relaxed environment. The two interviewers joked the entire process which made me less nervous.

Interview Questions

• Describe a moment you had to deal with a difficult person or customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation or relocation package

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX).

Interview

Was a nice interview, a lot better than what I have had in the past, there were 3 people in the room.
    Was a relaxed interview, everyone was friendly and nice.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

The overall hiring process (from the time I applied to the time I was hired) took about four months. The interview was not too hard, only a few technical questions, the rest were standard "how would you handle this situation" type questions. I interviewed in front of four people and each person asked questions. The interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you used diplomacy and tact to handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied at a job fair. They ran out of interview spots very quickly, but I ended up getting a call the next day asking me to come in for an interview. I went in for that interview the next day, so the process was very fast. I interviewed with two employees for about 45 minutes. The questions were pretty typical (how do you work under pressure, how do you prioritize work, etc).

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about the specific topic that the position would fall under.   Answer Question