Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.4

Tax Auditor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Dallas, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was followed by a panel interview. Interview consist of about 15 general accounting questions and 5 behavioral questions. I was told I would be notified if I got a job offer within the next month. 2 weeks later I was notified by phone that I needed to go in for fingerprinting.

Interview Questions

• Describe accounts receivable and accounts payable. Tell us something interesting about yourself. Which entity uses a schedule c?   Answer Question

Tax Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online in mid June, received email asking for me to call hiring manager to set up interview. Interview set for early July, got call back a week after the interview from HR saying they were interested in further consideration and that i needed to provide previous employer contact info & go for background checks. Went for fingerprinting the following day and received a phone offer from the hiring manager about 24 hours later!

The actual interview: I was nervous going in, mostly due to alot of the negative reviews i had read on this website. However I was pleasantly surprised as to how friendly & understanding the interviewers were (2 man panel). They ask a series of simple yes/no questions regarding criminal history/driving history/employment history etc; then 20 verbal questions which consisted of approx 10 behavioral/10 accounting related questions. None were really that difficult, i blanked out on 1 or 2 of the accounting questions mostly due to nerves, but i felt like i still responded well and was confident with my other answers. They handwrite everything you say which allowed for some moments to collect myself. Then they walked me over to a computer terminal and left me in the room with a short question asking to write a business memo - they give you 20 minutes but its easy enough to do it in 5-10mins max. Finally, called them back into the room and spent another 20-25 minutes asking them a few questions. Whole process in and out was maybe 60-70 minutes. Show sincere interest, keep eye contact, study the questions people have posted here & general basic accounting concepts, send a thank you email afterwards - and you are good to go.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself/How did you learn of us;
      Where would you find a capital asset
      What business entity uses a schedule c
      What is ar/ap
      Tell us about a time when you succeeded during a difficult period
      Tell us about a time when you had to discipline a subordinate(something like that)
      What would you do if a client was not being forthcoming during an audit
      ---all i cant really remember   Answer Question

Enforcement Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Interview

This was a two-man panel interview. The whole process took about one hour. Questions were drawn from a stack of papers and answers were written down as you respond to questions. There was also that 20 mins business math test in a separate room and telephone skills test, (documenting every thing from a customer who is changing his/her business address).

Interview Questions

• Too many questions to respond to.

At the end of the telephone interview, one of the panelists - the head - asked me:
      ---How long have you been in the United States?
      ---Which country do you come from?   Answer Question

Audit I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied to the position online and received a preliminary phone interview about 2 days later. Phone interview was basic questions you will come across in interview preperation. Interview was freindly and felt comfortable. Received a follow up interview at the office the next day. So far it has been a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Give a scenario of a time you were in a group and encountered conflict.

Give an example of a time you successfuly used your analytical skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had to write a response to a question about how I would test for the completeness assertion using the documents listed under the question. Then I had two people interview me asking me general scenario questions. The only accounting questions they asked me were about the income statement and the balance sheet. No journal entry questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a client who told you they couldn't afford to pay taxes?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview. A manager asked me three or four questions about myself. Asked if I have any questions. The interview was short and not very detailed. The second interview asks very specific questions. What is accounts payable? What is accounts receivable? What is an income statement? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?

Auditor I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Interview

very difficult interview. received call from local office and had a telephone interview with office mgr. this was followed by an in person interview at the office. Interview lasted about an hour and was very difficult

Enforcement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a panel of two, the HR personal and I believe the hiring manager. they both had a stack of papers with questions I'd say at least 30 questions total. Very overwhelming.
    After that they send me to a separate room to take a math test ..the test was easy .then the phone rang ( role play) I was suppose to document everything properly the scenario was long with 2 much information about a business owner moving giving new adderss, new contact info ,business account number and he is mailing a check for the taxes he owes . The math test and the call are timed 20 minutes only but was very doable.

Interview Questions

• If you and a teammate had a dispute about a policy how do you resolve it?
      If you went to visit a business and found out it was closed what do you do to locate the business owner?
      What would you do If you were asked to visit a business that happened be a night club at night In a dangerous area ?
      Give me an example about about a policy from past experiences that you didn't like and how did you go about it?
      Give an example about a bad collections experience you had from your previous jobs?
      Have you ever been counseled or reprimanded and give an example?   4 Answers

Auditor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (San Antonio, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Fairly painless process. There were no behavioral questions. They did ask quit a bit more accounting questions than I expected. There was a writing exercise after the interview / assessment. You have 20 minutes to write a letter. I applied and was called a week and a 1/2 later. My interview followed the next week. I'm waiting for a call back.

Interview Questions

• Basic accounting principles? 3 Main account types? What are accounts receivables? What are accounts payables? Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Auditor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Austin, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Writing assessment/exercise then you are asked back for an interview. The assessment/exercise asked for responses such as writing a memo to two different scenarios regarding auditing, processes, procedure, personal judgement and common sense.