Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 9, 2017

3.4

Audit I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied to the position online and received a preliminary phone interview about 2 days later. Phone interview was basic questions you will come across in interview preperation. Interview was freindly and felt comfortable. Received a follow up interview at the office the next day. So far it has been a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Give a scenario of a time you were in a group and encountered conflict.

Give an example of a time you successfuly used your analytical skills.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview. A manager asked me three or four questions about myself. Asked if I have any questions. The interview was short and not very detailed. The second interview asks very specific questions. What is accounts payable? What is accounts receivable? What is an income statement? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?

Auditor I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Interview

very difficult interview. received call from local office and had a telephone interview with office mgr. this was followed by an in person interview at the office. Interview lasted about an hour and was very difficult

Enforcement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a panel of two, the HR personal and I believe the hiring manager. they both had a stack of papers with questions I'd say at least 30 questions total. Very overwhelming.
    After that they send me to a separate room to take a math test ..the test was easy .then the phone rang ( role play) I was suppose to document everything properly the scenario was long with 2 much information about a business owner moving giving new adderss, new contact info ,business account number and he is mailing a check for the taxes he owes . The math test and the call are timed 20 minutes only but was very doable.

Interview Questions

• If you and a teammate had a dispute about a policy how do you resolve it?
      If you went to visit a business and found out it was closed what do you do to locate the business owner?
      What would you do If you were asked to visit a business that happened be a night club at night In a dangerous area ?
      Give me an example about about a policy from past experiences that you didn't like and how did you go about it?
      Give an example about a bad collections experience you had from your previous jobs?
      Have you ever been counseled or reprimanded and give an example?
      4 Answers

Auditor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (San Antonio, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Fairly painless process. There were no behavioral questions. They did ask quit a bit more accounting questions than I expected. There was a writing exercise after the interview / assessment. You have 20 minutes to write a letter. I applied and was called a week and a 1/2 later. My interview followed the next week. I'm waiting for a call back.

Interview Questions

• Basic accounting principles? 3 Main account types? What are accounts receivables? What are accounts payables? Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Auditor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Austin, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Writing assessment/exercise then you are asked back for an interview. The assessment/exercise asked for responses such as writing a memo to two different scenarios regarding auditing, processes, procedure, personal judgement and common sense.

Tax Auditor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online directly through the Comptroller's website. Got a call about a week later for a phone interview, and scheduled a face to face interview for the following week. Very nice people felt very comfortable. A mixture of behavioral and accounting related questions.

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Beaumont, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I recently interviewed (and received an offer) for the Tax Auditor I position myself so I wanted to share my timeline experience as well.
    Applied on website - 10/6 (with a job posting ending date of 10/10 that was then extended another week)
    Received call & email for interview - 10/23
    Interviewed with local office - 11/4
    Received call & email for fingerprints - 11/19
    Went for fingerprinting appointment - 11/23

I received an official offer call within an hour of sending fingerprint information email to the HR department on same day. I was told I will receive a formal offer letter in the mail by the end of next week that I will need to formally respond to for the HR office in Austin and begin work on Jan. 4th. I am very curious about the training process myself as far as how long, how spread out it is, and so forth because I am planning on continuing working towards my Masters degree while working but I am extremely excited to start working there!

The interview was somewhat difficult but really I think it was more so because of nerves. They asked several basic accounting principle type questions and absolutely nothing about anything on their website in mine at least. The only tax question that was asked what type of entity used a certain type of tax schedule but outside of that it was all basic accounting questions. They tell you there is no wrong answer and to just say whatever comes to mind. The advice I was given ahead of time was to just not stop talking... no matter what say something. I had trouble doing that but in the end I guess I didn't do nearly as bad as I felt like I did since they offered me the position. Also there is a business memo writing portion. Basically just brush up on basic memo writing guidelines from any bcom class and you'll be good.

Interview Questions

• What is an accounts receivable?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Dallas, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the Comptroller's website and then they called me maybe a week later saying they wanted to interview me. I scheduled the interview for two weeks later due to difficulty in scheduling on my part. I was interviewed by two supervisors who asked me basically all accounting questions. Like what is a Schedule C, what is an A/R, what is the revenue recognition principle, what is the journal entry for a cash sale of inventory, if you don't know the answer to a question by the client what would you do, If you are stumped by a tax issue what would you do... It was 15 accounting questions and five personality based. It seemed like it was a point based interview. After the questionnaire there was a memo assignment. The assignment was based upon a scenario that I was auditing a client and I found discrepancies in their profit reported on the income statement and tax return and I needed to talk to the Controller of the company about it. So I had twenty minutes to complete the memo and print it out and give it to the interviewer. After the interview I got a call about a week and a half later saying they were interested in hiring me and they needed me to fill out fingerprints and a background check. A day after that I got a call from the hiring manager offering the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary was non negotiable, but I was pleased with the salary.

Tax Auditor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

very structured interview. be prepared yourself from the website. there are two people construct the interview process. it more like giving points depend on how many questions you got correct