Texas Department of Criminal Justice Correctional Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Texas Department of Criminal Justice Correctional Officer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2017

1.5

Correctional Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview

Very short and easy test, very short and easy interview. Honestly, they'll pretty much hire anyone as long as you don't say anything really stupid during the process. All they care about is passing the test and not having a criminal history.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a correctional officer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Anonymous Employee in Tennessee Colony, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Tennessee Colony, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

went in for a test passed, waited all day then went in for an interview and they gave me a conditional offer, then 2 weeks later I had to take a physical test that consist of running, climbing ladders and carrying weights etc... then started the academy the next Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they will hire anyone who can pass the tests and they are not hard at all...

Correctional Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in January 2015.

Interview

after taking test had interview.The background check only took 3 business days.They called me an said they completed my application and i was hired.I think former military speed things up.I report to academy in 2 weeks for physical Test and then start the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Tyler, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Showed up at 7am to the Texas Workforce office for group orientation, filling out paperwork as a group, written tests, then one-on-one interview with recruiter. The process lasted until 1pm. Getting offered the job depends mostly on your criminal background check. The TDCJ website has all of the info you need about what to bring such as ID and tells you about the written tests you have to take. You need to know which prisons you want to work at as you will be asked to pick three units for the application. Factors to consider are distance from home and schedule. Some units work 12hr shifts 4 days on, 4 days off. Others work 8hr shift 6 days on, 3 days off, and have day, evening, and night cards. Some units are offering a sign on bonus these days.

Anonymous Employee in Marlin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Marlin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

There really wasn't an interview, on the day that I took my assessment I spoke with a gentleman briefly and later I was contacted about the job. The man that I spoke with was very polite, there were several of us there so he didn't have a lot of time to spend with each of us.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to be a Correctional Officer   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not negotiation phase.

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Huntsville, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I wrote exam that day and i was told i passed it. I was told to wait for the interview and after the interview i was told they were going to give me a call

Interview Questions

• why do you want to join tdcj?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Garland, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Too easy. As long as you are not a felon or drug user.. You will be hired. You will take a visual memory type of test. You will look at a photo of officers on horses and offenders entering a chain bus. You will need to identify certain details once the photo is no longer in view.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Wichita Falls, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Take a test that in my opinion is vey very easy! Yet somehow people fail it... Cut your hair and don't look like a slob! Have pride in yourself! If you are looking for love find a different job! This is the most rewarding/thankless job you will ever work! But you protect the community!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is none the salary is public knowledge

Correctional Officer Interview

Interview

Just asked if I have ever worked as part of a team, lady that did interview had nothing to do with the prison you were going to work at or anything.

Correctional Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview

Asked simple questions and I gave simple answers