Texas Department of Public Safety Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Texas Department of Public Safety

2.9

Sort:

Contract Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety.

Interview

Applied online and received a call for an interview about a month later. The person arranging the call had no personality. None. No, how are you today or thanks for returning my call. S/he just sounded like their brain was moving a thousand miles an hour. It was a very stilted conversation with choppy, three or four word sentences from the caller. Terse might be a bit of an understatement. I was given a few time slots to choose from and then received an email confirming the interview. The email indicated a written confirmation was preferred and then followed up with "Don't call". I kinda laughed - it came across sorta "Don't call me, we'll call you". Anyhow, so not a great feeling about the organization just based on that experience.

The interview itself was 10 questions. Most of them were testing your knowledge about contracting and procurement. I found this odd. They were interviewing for a position that called for several years of experience, so it just seemed insulting and like a waste of time.There was only a single behavioral interview question, the rest of the time it just seemed like they were trying to play "gotcha" with what you did or didn't know. It was unfortunate actually because I can think of folks who have been doing this type of work for a long time, but perhaps don't know how to articulate well, the answers to their definition questions. It just seems like they were testing for book smart and not necessarily looking to understand what a person has actually DONE. Once they mentioned a mandatory 45 hour work week and that employees are essentially barred from taking a week long vacation during July and August due to work demands, I pulled myself out of contention. That's complete and utter BS. For people with families, you're limiting their ability to spend time with their children to only June. I have an excellent work ethic, but I work to live, not the other way around.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals? Difference between professional and consulting services? Describe a process initiative you lead and how you obtained approval and what were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Janitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Please write at least 30 words on Hiring and Interview process. Well, it went like this. Ya see, I told 'em I was lookin' to make a lotta money. "Why so," they says. I told em that Stupid is as stupid does.after that They done asked me some more questions.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Garland, TX).

Interview

I applied online, due to the suggestions of one of the interviewers. I was sent an email, saying I was selected for the phone screening and if that went well, I would move on to the face-to-face panel interview. After a month after the deadline for the position closed, I received the email with a set time and date for the call and that it would run for about 30-45 minutes. I later received an email stating that I was not selected to move forward. I asked for feedback, and their 'reasons' for not selecting me were false, dishonest, and most likely due to the racial discrimination of one of the panelists.

Interview Questions

• Did not expect to be treated rudely and unfairly by the only male interviewer. He purposely twisted my answers and would not let me clarify and interrupted me consistently so I could not get a full thought out (he obviously had no intention of letting me explain his 'misunderstanding'). These two questions (personality related, not professional) were used as reason for dropping me.   1 Answer

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (New York, NY).

Interview

Panel Interview with all top executives in the region. They each ask you a question and write down your response. You may feel nervous as if you are being judged, it is because you are. Be sure to dress business casual.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry customer?   2 Answers

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a phone confirmation to inform you that you've been selected to face to face interview. The face to face is a Board style interview process followed by a 10 minute class (presentation) of your choice.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with someone outside of your department to accomplish a difficult project; how did you accomplish this, and were you successful   Answer Question

Admin Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

I was worried because it was a panel interview but ended up having the best time! Met some really cool people who made the interview process less scary! There were a lot of laughs and questions but they were easy and helpful with information.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table that we dont already have?   1 Answer

Administration Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process is rigged, they pencil in the scores and when they find a person they want to hire for the position they change the final scores with a pen. I've personally witnessed this. Also that 10 point swing for people whom have served in the military helps even though some are not qualified at all for the positions they've applied for

Interview Questions

• They'll make up the questions as they go, and change them around. They won't ask the same two or three applicants the same questions to make the interviews a little more difficult for some   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Usually the supervisor for the section previous employee or an employee in that position and another supervisor within the section. Check-in with receptionist and wait to be called back.

Interview Questions

• What is important to you in your work environment?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Waco, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Hiring process takes an average of 4 - 6 weeks to complete, including time spent conducting extensive background check. A contingent job offer is made based on the result of the background investigation. Once background investigation is complete, the job offer becomes official.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Positions are posted with set salary, benefits, etc.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by four people. They asked questions in a round-robin format and most of the questions had two or three parts. They were warm and supportive, and I felt like they wanted me to do well. One of the interviewers explained an unrealistic job requirements at the end of the interview. I thought I wanted the job, but at that point I started having doubts.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a situation where I had a disagreement with someone and how I resolved it.   2 Answers