Texas Department of State Health Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.9

Microbiologist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlingen, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Harlingen, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was conducted very well. Since I had arrived early, as one should, they let me review the interview questions which was not something I expected. The ladies who interviewed me were very well spoken, nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• What is a gram positive and gram negative stain and what morphological shape is common with each stain?   1 Answer

Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and received a call a few weeks after closing date. I was told to arrive 15 minutes early and was given a list of questions that I would be asked. Met with a panel of three employees ranging in rank who asked me only the questions on the list. Arriving early gave me a chance to make notes so that I did not forget to mention key accomplishments. Afterwards, I was given an hour to complete a few tasks to test my abilities - respond to an email, answer two questions relating to necessary job skills. Received notice they were calling my work references and was offered a position the following week.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very tailored to job specific skills. Did not ask the old "what are your strengths/weaknesses" questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tried to negotiate, but state jobs typically will not offer more than they are offering.

Training Specialist V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Prepared work sample, answered oral and written questions. Panel style. In-depth. Very open to answering my questions. They give the interviewees time to formulate responses in a very fair way. Like other agencies they do their best to document each answer carefully.

Public Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temple, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Temple, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and process took about 2 weeks. I received a call from hiring manager and scheduled an interview. After interview, I never heard back. I also followed up but never got any response. Thus, I am assuming that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What is Public Health and Why is it important ?   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in April 2016.

Interview

They told me to be there 15 min early to review interview questions. Once it was time for my interview, I met with 3 ladies who would be my interview panel. They asked the questions and once that was done, I was required to conduct a 10 min briefing on a given subject. It was a great experience! Way better than what I expected!

Interview Questions

• name a time you had conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question
    • How do you arrange and conduct your daily tasks and keep organized?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I went in already knowing what the pay would be, so no negotiation was offered.

Chemist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Received a call from the group manager for an interview date. The interview consisted of 2 people, the team lead and the group manager. They asked some basic questions but a lot of analysis and chemistry related questions. They got back to me in about 2 weeks let me know that I got an offer. Do not be nervous everyone is very nice. Just make sure you prepare well for the interview and study the crap out of the job description.

RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Longview, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online received call for interview 2 weeks later originally declined was leaning toward offer elsewhere was practically begged to interview. Got unofficial offer by phone the next day after panel style interview. they give you a sheet with 10-15 questions to answer/ review before interview. Entire process to start date took 4-6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Define the nurse practice act. Describe a time where you had a disagreement with co-worker, What are your strengths weakness, what is nursing process, what is your 5 yr goal, conflict resolution with co worker, are you familiar with reasons for immunizations example a parent does not want child to have immunizations what would you do, and public health necessity. {IN Basket} How to prevent Tuberculosis, What is the difference between TB disease and TB infection. How is it transmitted. How would you get a hold of a famous person who sings and has active TB and is non compliant with treatment.   Answer Question

Prevention Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Arlington, TX).

Interview

I applied on 03/23... received call for interview on 05/05.... was handed interview questions to review before interview 10 min. ... In my opinion focus on job description and your experience in word, excell, access, Microsoft Office softwares and describe your experiences are more so give examples of what you've done... There aren't any behavior questions .... just experience focusing on the job description

Interview Questions

• describe your experience with technical assistance and training?   Answer Question

Program Specialist III (Training Specialist IV) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

You are told to arrive 15 minutes prior to your interview time for an in-basket exercise, which lasted for 10 minutes. The exercise was to put together a powerpoint presentation which is used to test your knowledge of the department (i.e. Emergency preparedness) you'll be working for. Afterwards you are interviewed by a panel of three people, they'll ask you 8 questions one after the other.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been depolyed for an emergency? If so, how did you prepare for it?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever conducted a needs assessment? What are the important compenents of a needs assessment?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had challenges while using a particular database? If so, what was it?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever conducted a training exercise? How did you go about it?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview

Submitted the online application. Received a telephone call confirming interest/availability for an interview. Received confirmation emails to include interview information and the job posting including salary. Interview began with a period of time where I was able to read/jot notes on the interview questions (alone). Then I was seated with three interviewers, who subsequently read the questions in turn and I responded. Afterwards I was able to ask some questions. Interview was timed and limited to one hour max.