Texas Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Texas Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

First interview was pre-recorded messages through Hirevue. Mostly behavioral questions.

Second interview was a video chat also through Hirevue. Questions are typical such as what talk about projects you've worked on and some behavioral questions. There were also questions about RLC filters and op-amps.

Third interview was onsite. There were additional op-amp/RLC filter questions. Additionally, candidates had to prepare a 4-6 slide presentation on a previous project. Depending on the interviewer, this may not be used at all.

Interview Questions

• Derive the cutoff frequency of a low pass RLC circuit.   Answer Question
  • Given a window comparator circuit, draw the output with a triangle-wave input.   Answer Question
  • Make different gates such as AND/OR using mosfets.   Answer Question
  • Draw a voltage follower and an inverting amplifier using op-amps.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and got called in for an on-site interview about a month later. The interview was with 3 people back-to-back with people that I would be working with and for.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I had a first round interview in my school and passed to second round where they asked me more hardware question that's where they realized I was a software guy ;)

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

The process was comprised was supposed to be comprised of three steps, but I only made it through two. The first round was a on-campus interview. The questions asked were mainly behavioral with a few simple technical questions (define some characteristics of an op-amp). The second interview was a web interview using Hirevue where two current application engineers interviewed me. The entire interview was an hour with 30 minutes used for behavioral questions and the other 30 minutes used for technical questions. From what I was told, the third round is an on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a low pass filter and draw its equivalent bode plot. What happens to the bode plot if you add a inductor in series with the resistor?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

The interview process was suppose to be a 1:1, 30 minute interview but it turned into a phone interview due to the bad weather. TI contacted me with ample time to prepare accordingly. There were two interviewers on the phone that asked behavioral questions along with questions about the projects I listed on my Resume.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions: "Tell us about yourself", "When was a time your project wasn't going well and did you fix the problem?"
      Technical Questions: Had to do with projects that I had on my resume; asked to describe a process that I used.
      Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

Three step interview. Part one is conducted virtually where you answer questions by recording answers. Second is a virtual interview with two engineers where they ask you behavioral questions with some technical components. In the last part you get flown to Texas where you interview with several engineers and they tie your behavioral and technical knowledge together.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a three step process. First, I had an interview on campus after talking to them at the career fair. This interview was mainly behavioral questions. Next, I had a virtual interview on HireVue that was also mainly behavioral questions and questions about my resume and projects I've worked on. It was a bit more technical than the first interview. The final step was when I was flown to Dallas for an on-site interview. On the first day I stayed at a really nice hotel and had dinner with other candidates and current Application Engineer Rotation Program people. The next day I had two, back-to-back 45 minute interviews at TI, where there were two people interviewing me at a time. These interviews were technical in nature. I also had to prepare a presentation about a project I worked on.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview: Mainly behavioral questions

2nd interview: Behavioral questions and questions about my resume. A couple of technical questions that really depend on who's interviewing
      1) Describe the block diagram of a Bluetooth wireless headset.
      2) How would you improve the Bluetooth wireless headset?

3rd interview: Technical questions specific to my resume and presentation. My presentation had buck converters in it, so they asked me:
      1) What's the purpose of the inductor and capacitor at the output?
      2) How do you make the input more efficient?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very smooth and easy first round. Meet them on campus, and get an interview on second day. TI has good reputation regarding their on campus recruitment. And their info session is very helpful. First round interview is always easy, just going through your resume. Waiting for feedback

Interview Questions

• why do you choose application engineer as your career path?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Tallahassee, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

There are three interviews. All three involved me and two interviewers. The first interview was conducted at my college after a career fair. The second was a webcam interview. The third would've been an on-site interview in Dallas, TX. The two interviews that I did were both some behavioral and some technical.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe the ideal conditions of an op-amp. Non-ideal? Then find Gain.   Answer Question
    • Q: Describe a low-pass filter.   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell us about a technical project you worked on.
      Be prepared to go into detail on this and know everything about it! They will ask questions.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the applications engineering rotation program online in mid-August. A couple of weeks after I applied, TI asked me to complete a video interview where I would record answers and send them back using their HireVue system. There were a total of six questions, and for each I had one minute to prepare an answer and three (if I remember correctly) minutes to give my answer. They gave questions such as "What was your most difficult course in school and what did you do to master it," "Do you prefer analog or digital," and "Do you have any geographical restrictions."

In just a couple days, they asked me to have a live video interview through the HireVue software. In this interview, an applications engineer called me and we discussed a project I had done in school. There weren't really any hard technical or behavioral questions in this interview; it was mostly me discussing my project and the engineer telling me about working at TI.

In about five days, they asked me to come down to Dallas for an in-person interview and told me to prepare a 4-5 slide presentation on a project I had done. They flew me out, rented me a car, and put me up in a hotel for a night. There were about 15 total interviewees there. The night we got there we went out for dinner with a few current applications engineers in the rotation program. We could ask them questions and get to know them and the other interviewees.

The next day, we were divided into shifts for our interviews and tours/info sessions. My shifts were in the afternoon, so I arrived for lunch (with the current engineers in the rotation, the interviewees, and the interviewers) then went on the tour/info session. Both the tour and the info session were led by the current engineers in the rotation.

After the info session there were two interviews, each with two interviewers. In both interviews they asked me to go through my presentation with them (not formally present it). As we went through it they asked me questions about the project. They also asked me some behavioral questions throughout. I don't recall the questions they asked but they were not too bad. Near the end, they had me do some stuff on the whiteboard such as drawing block diagrams of my project and drawing out some other diagrams. All of the technical questions were related to my project or to another project I talked about in a behavioral question.

Less than 48 hours later, they emailed me and said I wasn't what they were looking for. Even though I got rejected, I still feel like interviewing was a positive experience. I got the chance to meet some people doing work I'd like to do in the future and I felt like my time and experience was respected throughout the process. I hope that someday I can work for TI or another company like it.