Texas Instruments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

Facility Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (College Station, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus career fair. And then I got an online interview which asked me to do a video interview on a software. There were 4 behavioral questions and not hard. They replied after approximately two weeks.

Technical Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Went through 2 interviews, one was on campus and was completly behavior. The second was a webcam interview and again behavior with a few technical questions sprinkled in. The first was more of an interview to see where I would fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on?   1 Answer

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got an email a few days later for the first-stage interview which is through HireVue. It was just some pre-recorded stock interview questions, they're just screening out people who can't talk about themselves.

A day or two later I was invited to do an online interview, again through HireVue, for which I had to prepare a short presentation on a project. I was expecting technical questions but the two interviewers, both of whom were product engineering managers, seemed sort of disinterested. I wrapped up my presentation and got some more behavioral questions.

Soon after I got a call inviting me to Dallas for the final stage interview. The dates were sort of inflexible so I had to go in November in the midst of classes, but they definitely make it worth your while. Flight, rental car, and hotel were all great and paid for. We went out to dinner with some current people one the rotation who were made available just to answer questions; they claimed that they were not involved in the decision-making process.

We were given an interview time for the next morning. Be sure to be there at noon for the complimentary lunch, which was amazing. I had two 45m-1hr interviews with two managers each. The first was very simple, with the expected technical questions. You'll probably get a basic question about CMOS and a linear circuit. The rest of your questions will also be basic and derived from your resume.

It's worth mentioning that my second interview ended up being pretty intense. I was drilled on analog design for what felt like 15 minutes until I faltered. From what I heard this is a common technique, so don't be afraid to get pushed and fail. They want and expect to see the limits of your knowledge.

Since there isn't much information about the position out there, I'll also share some of the interesting things I learned. The rotation is two one-year assignments. The first assignment is a role in product, test, or product+test, depending on the business group. It can be located anywhere. They ask about your preferences if and when you get an offer, but it's a crapshoot unless you ask for a major location like Santa Clara or Dallas (these are probably the two best locations anyway. Dallas has an insane amount of amenities and resources, whereas Santa Clara is right at the heart of Silicon Valley). The second assignment will be a non-PTE role, and here I think the decision is made primarily based on your preference and your manger's preference, with a nod to company needs. After the rotation you are expected to return to the location and role of your first assignment permanently, but my understanding is that it's common for TIers to move laterally so don't worry too much about finding out you hate PTE. My major gripe was the uncertainty of work. For both assignments, you potentially don't find out the position and location until 60 days before you're expected to switch over.

I was told a week later that I would be getting an offer, but did not receive the details and location until a month after that. That was fine by me as it gave me more time to hear back from other companies.

If you're reading this in preparation for the third stage, you'll be interested to know that of the ~12 people in the group before mine, half got offers. Not hugely useful to know without more context, but the larger point is that you have a good shot at this point, and you're not competing with your group, so feel free to relax and make some new friends or connections.

Interview Questions

• Draw an NMOS schematically and in a cross-section view. Draw an inverter and explain how it works. Solve a simple circuit that ended up being a Thevenin-to-Norton conversion. Some simple stuff from resume. Explain a project on a whiteboard.   Answer Question
    • Here I got drilled on basic Analog Design concepts since I was taking a class on it. Started with drawing an inverter. Show how you'd do small-signal analysis to demonstrate that it can produce gain. Swap the NMOS and PMOS and draw the output for a given input. Some questions about gain and the decibel scale. A really interesting question about the fastest way to turn on a MOSFET circuit (answer was due to parasitic capacitances). Full on analysis of a cascode amplifier (where I finally fell apart). It was tough and fast but friendly throughout, and I was talked through the parts I missed. Don't put Analog Design on your resume unless you can sound confident with these subjects.   Answer Question

Product Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2016.

Interview

1st round record yourself answering 5 behavioral questions, you get limited amount of time to answer each question and a very brief period to review each question. Done through HireVue. 2nd round was a direct webcam call with 2 employees, lots of technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about a lab class I was taking and what kind of circuits I was working on   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Talked with recruiters at my university's career fair, and they set me up with an on campus interview for the next day. This interview was mostly behavioral with one or two relatively easy technical questions.

A month later I was contacted about a phone interview. For this interview I had to create a presentation about something I had worked on in the past. After this interview I was flown to Dallas for the final round of interviews.

The Dallas interviews consisted of 4 separate interviews with mostly technical questions of moderate difficulty.

Interview Questions

• What is a problem you have had with a project in the past, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Product Engineer Rotation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

First step was an Online prerecorded behavioral questions (why T.I, a difficult problem and how you overcame it,example of working in a diverse group), screen slide presentation (questions were asked based on presentation) and onsite interview (resume based/Low Pass Filter/And gate).

Interview Questions

• Low pass filter, Resume based and digital systems (describe a 3 input and gate).   Answer Question

Product Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

My school had a career fair. They asked me a couple questions which then proceeded to an on-campus interview the next day. After a week or so, I had to do a Web-ex Presentation an interviews to two managers (1 hr). They called me back the same to day to schedule an onsite interview which consisted of 2 separate 45minute interviews.

Interview Questions

• Cross section of MOSFET and the device physics behind it   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (New York, NY).

Interview

I had three rounds of interviews. The first interview on campus was mostly behavioral, with one technical question. The second round interview was conducted online. I had to put together a presentation of an engineering project, as well as answer several technical questions and very, very brief behavioral questions. The third interview was placement into a department. They went over my resume, and very briefly asked me some technical questions.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

First Round: Behavioral questions. How do you work in a team? Describe a time you had an issue with a team member? What is your highest achievement?

Second Round: Technical Presentation and more behavioral questions. Describing a project i've worked on so it was easy to talk about. If you have any experience with testers it will probably focus on that.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a For Loop and a While Loop? Which is worse?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I had a first round interview in my school and passed to second round where they asked me more hardware question that's where they realized I was a software guy ;)