Texas State Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.5

Faculty Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

Presentation to current faculty and department chair; one on one interview with department chair; one on one interview with dean; campus tour; introductions to current faculty and staff who were not in attendance at presentation.

Interview Questions

• What are your personal and professional goals?   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

I sent my cv, a letter of interest and transcripts. I was contacted to schedule a phone interview. I later traveled to campus to interview with faculty, interview with department chair, interview with dean, do a job talk, meet with students.

Interview Questions

• who are some of the researchers or theorist that influence your work   Answer Question

Mail Carrier Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

Applied online and got a call to set up a in person interview. The interview process was very straight forward and easy. I interviewed with the manager and started working within a week.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic questions: Why are you applying for this job?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was relatively usual for an Accounting position. Typical interview questions with a group, past experiences, technical experience, where you see yourself. After, there was a 3 part reconciliation and a general knowledge test. Hiring process takes about 3 weeks, two weeks for interviews and a week or so for approvals. After they make their decision, it has to go through various offices and a background check before they offer.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process itself was easy. I applied for a writing position, and I was called in less than a week after submitting my application and writing samples. I was not asked any behavioral questions during my interview -- only the basic "tell us about yourself" and what ever other questions came to mind on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What kind of position would you like to see yourself in (after completing graduate studies)?   1 Answer

Academic Advisor I Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

It was about 45-50 minutes and 12-15 questions. There were 3 interviewers and they took turns asking questions. They gave you a copy of the questions at the beginning. There was also a presentation that I had to give 3-5 minutes on a best practice of academic advising that I would use if I were to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself
      How do you stay motivated?
      Answer Question
    • GPA calculation question   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where your job responsibility wasn't clearly defined   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about McCoy?
      What would you do if a student failed the intro to management class 3 times?
      Describe a time where you went above/beyond your job duties
      Answer Question

Academic Advisor I - College of Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I categorized the interview as “difficult” not because of the content of the questions, but because of the interview time limit and the parking situation.

When applying for this job, I had a recent Master's Degree in education from TXST, a reference letter from a current education professor at TXST, and 14 years' worth of experience in education. I applied online using their cumbersome application process on 1/21/16. The following week 2/28/16, I got a call and a follow up email to interview on 2/1/16.

A word of caution about parking: make sure to be on campus at least an hour before your interview time. As a former student, I knew exactly where to park and knew the building location. I just had to find the office location. I arrived 45 minutes ahead of time and the parking employee told me that they hadn't reserved a visitors' spot. WHAT?! The email clearly told me to park in the visitors' spot! The parking guard gave me a visitors' pass so I wouldn't get towed, but said I was not allowed to park in the visitors' spot. WHAT?! So, I wasted at least 30 minutes of my time circling the parking lot trying to find a spot and running across said parking lot back to the darn building. I then spent about 10 minutes climbing stairs and trying to find the correct office. If I had known I wasn't going to be able to use a visitors' spot, I would have arrived earlier. I barely made my interview time. I normally like to be there 15 minutes early and felt this incident could have adversely effected my chances for this job.

The biggest challenge during the interview was the time limit. They claimed interview times were limited to 30 minutes to mimic the time/experience the advisor has with students. It was incredibly difficult to cram a discussion of my extensive experience into just 30 minutes. I ended up using graphic organizers inside a PowerPoint presentation. It was well received. I interviewed with three women: the department chair, an advisor, and a supervising advisor. Everyone was pleasant and polite, but it was very rushed and I don't feel that any of us got the information we needed. They wanted to know why I was coming back to TXST to work instead of teaching. (I fail to see why that was even an issue.) I explained that as part of my private tutoring business I advised high school students prepping for college and enjoyed it. I wanted to take those skills to the college level. I blinked, the interview was over, and I was being shoved out the door. As I left, I was told that I should hear back from HR in about two weeks.

I was very eager to hear back from TXST and emailed the interviewer on 2/8/16. She told me the position had been filled and I was crushed. I followed-up and requested advice/tips for my next interview. (I was fishing for a reason why I wasn't hired. I was clearly qualified for the position.) She replied with some generic answer that didn't make any sense. After reading a recent review posted to Glassdoor, I think this was another case of nepotism. What a waste of my time!

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

I received a mass email through our office of student advancement that there was an opening for a part time graduate assistant. Further instruction told me to contact the manager for the opening. From there I communicated via email, then phone, and eventually in person for the opening position. Where upon I was offered the job. It took about a half of a month before I got hired from the initial email I sent back showing interest in the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience working in this kind of field.   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I was asked the basic interview questions as well as serval questions about the position I was applying for. I was also asked for my current classes and the college path I had planned on taking.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

Ultra disorganized. I applied online. Got a call for job X, to show up at 2:00pm on said day. Confirmed it twice on the phone. I showed up 30 minutes early, and the front desk admin said Job X was actually for different job Y, similar but not the same title. Was informed that interview for Job Y was a different day. I said there must be a mistake. Then proceeded to wait about 20 minutes while they figured it out. Eventually they figured out that Job X and Job Y are the same, with different titles. Got called in for the interview. Met with a panel of 4 very nice people. The interview went great. I was told to fill out a background check form, and would hear back in a week or so. 2 weeks later I have called and emailed only to receive open ended responses. 3 weeks later I've pretty much given up all hope. And i REALLY wanted this job. Now I am being cornered into taking a job that pay less and is with a bad employer. I'll keep looking everyday until I get something better.

Interview Questions

• Describe strengths and weaknesses, etc   1 Answer