The Advisory Board Company Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 10, 2017

2.9

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for an Analyst position in Research, and had all of the qualifications in the job description and then some. I was even already employed at the Advisory Board Company, so I would have been a transfer and not a new hire (which is always preferred). However, despite going through the interview process and, "blowing them out of the water," they refused to hire me based on the fact that I had not gone the traditional route. They told me that they were scared that if they hired me without having been a research associate first, they would open the flood gates and would have to look through too many resumes the next time they posted an opening for an Analyst position.

While a Master's degree isn't in the requirements, it is absolutely a requirement if you are an external hire, or an internal hire who hasn't been a Research Associate prior to applying for an Analyst position.

Other than that the interview process also included a case study (which no one in Career Management -ABC's version of HR- told me about). Fortunately, when I mentioned that I got an interview for the position to one of my friends, she told me that those type of interviews usually have case studies.

So take heed if you're applying for an Analyst position:

-If you're an external applicant, it's best to have a Master's degree

-If you're an internal applicant, you should probably save you're time and apply for a Research Associate position first

-If you get an interview, prepare for a case study style interview process (you can Google sample case study interviews and use those to prepare - that's what I did and I was over prepared)

Interview Questions

• How would you use BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) to enhance your research for a University?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and got selected for a first round interview. There is one interview on campus followed by another round in their DC office which consists of a few case studies. The first interview is entirely behavioral and basically a screen of your resume, etc.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the Advisory Board company? Tell us what you think we do and why you want to be apart...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

The original position I wanted and interviewed for ended up being "discontinued" so the recruiter suggested another role to interview for as well as one that I picked myself. Absolute waste of time. It's been a few weeks and have heard nothing from the recruiter about my status. The positions themselves didn't sound anything like they were described as on the application. Felt pretty judged on random things I said and they twisted my words out of proportion. Also felt as if I was being judged for having an average GPA - this isn't a top 4 company so what gives you the right to be so nitpicky? Stay far away from this place - the culture will attract you but the work just sounds like a meat factory. Take your degree and go elsewhere!!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Why work here? Why should I choose you over someone else? Heavy emphasis on recent work experiences   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in August 2016.

Interview

It was a positive experience. It was just a phone screen, the interviewer was very friendly. She wanted to get to know me and my background and why I was interested in research. She went over next-steps, asked about salary requirements, and gave more information about the research team and company culture. It was about 20 minutes overall. They were prompt (4-5 days) with communication afterwards that I wasn't the right fit for the position.

Analyst Interview

Interview

phone interview, three in person case interviews. behavioral interviews included. Cases were not related to healthcare. They seemed to really value critical thinking. They definitely did not look for just a healthcare specific background.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you received criticism that was challenging to receive   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was none

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Questions were easy but did not get an invitation to move to the next round. Asked for feedback but got no response. Would NOT recommend despite easy questions. Seems like ABC looks for high-end technical skills...

Interview Questions

• Why The Advisory Board?
      Why Healthcare?
      Why did you choose your majors?
      Why did you choose your schools?
      How have your writing skills developed?
      Are you interested in the Quantitative or Qualitative side of the business?
      Describe a research project you have done in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I had my resume submitted internally, in a few days they asked me for a phone interview, fairly short and standard. I did another phone interview and case study before final rounds at the headquarters. I had read info on Glassdoor and there is a real difference if they're invested in you; they were incredibly prompt about moving me forward in the process. Most of the discussion was on previous research, interest in healthcare, and why I made the academic choices I made.

The final interviews were a day of interviewing, three eventually (yes they make you wait after the first ones and only schedule the last one if it goes well), all including a case at the end. Case interviewing is very stressful and I hadn't done that before; ask a lot of questions and think around the topic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Several days after applying for the Junior Analyst role, I was contacted by HR about scheduling a phone interview with a recruiter. Well, on the morning of that phone interview, I did NOT hear from the recruiter, so an hour later, I emailed HR. Anyhow, HR was apologetic, and explained that the recruiter ONLY attempted contacting me on the home phone, which apparently didn't accept her "private" number. I was a bit put off by this, as the recruiter should have also had my cell phone and email address! I did agree to a re-scheduled phone interview, though had to wait 2 weeks, because it's "their busiest time of the year."

Anyhow, 2 weeks later, Recruiter #2 did contact me at the scheduled time, which I appreciated. Overall, it was an okay interview. She did indicate that it would last for about 20-25 minutes, which it did. It seemed like during the first 10 minutes or so she interrupted me by saying "ok" as if she wasn't that interested in what I was saying. The second half of the interview was better, as I had a better sense of how to tailor my responses to what she wanted to hear.

Afterward, I was told I would hear back in 7-10 business days. Well, today, after just 3 business days, I found out they decided to pursue other candidates. I'm a bit disappointed, but not too surprised, based on the beginning of the interview.

My takeaways: It seems as though they hold many phone interviews, which is why it took 2 weeks to reschedule it. Thus, there is ALOT of competition for one position. Their is definitely some disorganization, based on my experiences, and other reviews I have read, in terms of scheduling. Not sure what the other recruiters are like at this company, but definitely reading up on the company before hand and tailoring your skills to what THEY want to hear is essential, otherwise they seem to get "bored" during the phone interview. It also didn't help that I was still slightly congested from a cold I was just recuperating from. Of course, that wouldn't have been an issue if the 1st recruiter had reached me on the initial date!

To put a positive spin on it, each interview is a learning experience, as was this one. I learned a little in the process, so overall a neutral experience. If you want to interview with this company, just keep these factors into consideration! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume, and why you made the choices you did, in terms of work and school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Position: Analyst, Finance

Got referred by an internal friend.

First Round: HR was a little disorganized when it came to scheduling my first round of interview, but managed to get thru after a few rescheduling. The interview itself was very traditional: background questions, previous experience, interests and the likes; No behavioral questions yet. All-in-all very professional.

Assessment: Excel test (varies between positions, but mine was a sample of the work that I will be doing)

Second Round: Met with my would-be manager and manager's manager in 2 separate 30-min interviews. Questions were mainly behavioral, reflections on the assessment, future goals/aspirations, and some follow-up questions as a result of my 1st round interview with HR. Got my offer the following Mon (Thu interview).

Overall: Nothing tricky. Being honest, sincere, and persistent will definitely take you a long way.

Interview Questions

• How aggressive are you?   Answer Question
    • When someone approaches you, would you give the person what he/she wants or give the person what you think they need, based on experience?   Answer Question
    • What is your approach for paying attention to details?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I had a very brief phone interview with the Advisory Board Company. It only lasted about 15 minutes, which was surprisingly short because I really prepared for it. The interview questions were very scripted and the interviewer seemed like she wasn't really listening. She responded with "great" at the end of every answer. Overall, the phone interview was very average. All of the questions were very basic and expected.