The Advisory Board Company Analyst Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Analyst Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jan 14, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for an Analyst position in Research, and had all of the qualifications in the job description and then some. I was even already employed at the Advisory Board Company, so I would have been a transfer and not a new hire (which is always preferred). However, despite going through the interview process and, "blowing them out of the water," they refused to hire me based on the fact that I had not gone the traditional route. They told me that they were scared that if they hired me without having been a research associate first, they would open the flood gates and would have to look through too many resumes the next time they posted an opening for an Analyst position.

While a Master's degree isn't in the requirements, it is absolutely a requirement if you are an external hire, or an internal hire who hasn't been a Research Associate prior to applying for an Analyst position.

Other than that the interview process also included a case study (which no one in Career Management -ABC's version of HR- told me about). Fortunately, when I mentioned that I got an interview for the position to one of my friends, she told me that those type of interviews usually have case studies.

So take heed if you're applying for an Analyst position:

-If you're an external applicant, it's best to have a Master's degree

-If you're an internal applicant, you should probably save you're time and apply for a Research Associate position first

-If you get an interview, prepare for a case study style interview process (you can Google sample case study interviews and use those to prepare - that's what I did and I was over prepared)

Interview Questions

• How would you use BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) to enhance your research for a University?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

The original position I wanted and interviewed for ended up being "discontinued" so the recruiter suggested another role to interview for as well as one that I picked myself. Absolute waste of time. It's been a few weeks and have heard nothing from the recruiter about my status. The positions themselves didn't sound anything like they were described as on the application. Felt pretty judged on random things I said and they twisted my words out of proportion. Also felt as if I was being judged for having an average GPA - this isn't a top 4 company so what gives you the right to be so nitpicky? Stay far away from this place - the culture will attract you but the work just sounds like a meat factory. Take your degree and go elsewhere!!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Why work here? Why should I choose you over someone else? Heavy emphasis on recent work experiences   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I had my resume submitted internally, in a few days they asked me for a phone interview, fairly short and standard. I did another phone interview and case study before final rounds at the headquarters. I had read info on Glassdoor and there is a real difference if they're invested in you; they were incredibly prompt about moving me forward in the process. Most of the discussion was on previous research, interest in healthcare, and why I made the academic choices I made.

The final interviews were a day of interviewing, three eventually (yes they make you wait after the first ones and only schedule the last one if it goes well), all including a case at the end. Case interviewing is very stressful and I hadn't done that before; ask a lot of questions and think around the topic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Several days after applying for the Junior Analyst role, I was contacted by HR about scheduling a phone interview with a recruiter. Well, on the morning of that phone interview, I did NOT hear from the recruiter, so an hour later, I emailed HR. Anyhow, HR was apologetic, and explained that the recruiter ONLY attempted contacting me on the home phone, which apparently didn't accept her "private" number. I was a bit put off by this, as the recruiter should have also had my cell phone and email address! I did agree to a re-scheduled phone interview, though had to wait 2 weeks, because it's "their busiest time of the year."

Anyhow, 2 weeks later, Recruiter #2 did contact me at the scheduled time, which I appreciated. Overall, it was an okay interview. She did indicate that it would last for about 20-25 minutes, which it did. It seemed like during the first 10 minutes or so she interrupted me by saying "ok" as if she wasn't that interested in what I was saying. The second half of the interview was better, as I had a better sense of how to tailor my responses to what she wanted to hear.

Afterward, I was told I would hear back in 7-10 business days. Well, today, after just 3 business days, I found out they decided to pursue other candidates. I'm a bit disappointed, but not too surprised, based on the beginning of the interview.

My takeaways: It seems as though they hold many phone interviews, which is why it took 2 weeks to reschedule it. Thus, there is ALOT of competition for one position. Their is definitely some disorganization, based on my experiences, and other reviews I have read, in terms of scheduling. Not sure what the other recruiters are like at this company, but definitely reading up on the company before hand and tailoring your skills to what THEY want to hear is essential, otherwise they seem to get "bored" during the phone interview. It also didn't help that I was still slightly congested from a cold I was just recuperating from. Of course, that wouldn't have been an issue if the 1st recruiter had reached me on the initial date!

To put a positive spin on it, each interview is a learning experience, as was this one. I learned a little in the process, so overall a neutral experience. If you want to interview with this company, just keep these factors into consideration! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume, and why you made the choices you did, in terms of work and school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Position: Analyst, Finance

Got referred by an internal friend.

First Round: HR was a little disorganized when it came to scheduling my first round of interview, but managed to get thru after a few rescheduling. The interview itself was very traditional: background questions, previous experience, interests and the likes; No behavioral questions yet. All-in-all very professional.

Assessment: Excel test (varies between positions, but mine was a sample of the work that I will be doing)

Second Round: Met with my would-be manager and manager's manager in 2 separate 30-min interviews. Questions were mainly behavioral, reflections on the assessment, future goals/aspirations, and some follow-up questions as a result of my 1st round interview with HR. Got my offer the following Mon (Thu interview).

Overall: Nothing tricky. Being honest, sincere, and persistent will definitely take you a long way.

Interview Questions

• How aggressive are you?   Answer Question
    • When someone approaches you, would you give the person what he/she wants or give the person what you think they need, based on experience?   Answer Question
    • What is your approach for paying attention to details?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

There was an initial phone screening interview, then I went to their DC office for in-person interviews. The interviews were a combination of a case interview and behavioral interviews (3 1-hour interviews). All of the interviewers were extremely friendly and clearly enthusiastic about working at the Advisory Board. The cases were more open-ended than the standard consulting case, but still involved plenty of math and structured thinking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, got an email back in three days for a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard, they wanted to know why you were interested in healthcare. Afterwards I got invited to come into their office in DC. I did not receive an offer, I don't think I was the right fit for the job so make sure to really understand all the different positions. When I asked for feedback, they said that asking questions during the case interview is very very important.

Interview Questions

• I had two interviews, the first one you go over your background and how it fits into the position. The case question was about moving the maternity ward into a new building and whether or not that was a good idea for a hospital. The second case question was about the 2008 financial crisis and how the company was determine which hospitals it can work with that are under financial stress and which ones to let go of because they can't   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions

• Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in mid-October and received an offer to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer asked basic questions, such as "How did you end up choosing your school/major?", "Walk me through a research project you've done", "How have your writing skills developed over time?", and things of that nature. Overall I didn't think the interview went too bad. A friend of mine also put in a referral for me.

I was contacted a week later and was told that they were moving ahead with other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

I started with an on-campus interview at my university, followed by an in-person all day interview. I was asked to complete a writing sample and an online application. In person interview in the office was the most comprehensive, with four separate cases and brain teasers and behavioral/fit questions.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would change about your school if you were giving advice to administration? Why?   Answer Question