The Advisory Board Company Associate Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Associate Director Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2017

2.9

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I had received an interview through an employee referral. I heard back within 2 weeks. I had a general online interview through a website with one of the recruiters. We discussed my background and my interests. I thought it went well. I then received an email from another recruiter that I was not receiving an offer. I thought this was strange because I only had a general interview, not for a specific position. I then emailed the recruiter for some feedback on our interview. I received a message that she no longer worked for the company anymore. When I reached out to the person who sent me the email that no offer was being made, they were very dismissive and refused to give me any feedback. They told me it was extremely competitive. Very condescending.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an issue with traveling 75% of the time?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I should have believed all the negative reviews about the recruitment process. My experience consisted of 3 interviews total. Interview 1 was a standard recruiter interview asking me to go through my resume. During that interview the recruiter noted that she would get back to me within 2 weeks. She did answer me in a very timely manner after the first round and scheduled a second round interview with a manager. 2 weeks later I received an email asking for writing samples which I provided. I did not hear back for a long period of time and had to follow up. Upon following up, the recruiter scheduled another interview for me with another senior member of the team. Following this interview I did not hear back for weeks, thus followed up with the recruiter yet again. I was extremely straight forward and asked if I was still being considered for the position. Frankly, I would've just liked the courtesy of being notified regardless, with a direct answer. Following this, the recruiter replied back to me and her response was that I was still being considered for the position and asked for potential times that I could come in for the "final step." Upon replying back about my availability I never heard back again and followed up two weeks later with still no response. This was extremely unprofessional representation of the organization. I understand that recruiters are in a tough position as they are required to communicate between the applicant and the hiring manager, however, misleading an applicant and not even having the courtesy to respond is extremely disrespectful. Now I understand why there were so many negative reviews from applicants as well as existing employees.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about dealing with this situation: (scenario was presented)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

After applying online, there was a phone interview lasting about 20-25 minutes, conducted by a relentlessly cheery recruiter. The questions were very scripted, and she was pretty repetitive with her lead ins, i.e. "I was hoping you could maybe tell me a little bit more about..." regarding almost every aspect of my resume, which she basically read out in order from top to bottom. Nothing too unusual there, but it might have had more natural conversational flow if she'd varied the transitions.
    The recruiter said they would follow up within the next 2 weeks, but very likely in 1 week. Thus far, 4 weeks later, I haven't been contacted.

Interview Questions

• There were very few direct questions other than expanding on what was stated on my resume. No behavioral questions or any typical "what is your greatest strength/weakness/how do you handle failure" types of questions.
      One thing they did ask specifically was if I had any other offers pending.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

I was referred through a friend and then went through a round of 5 interviews with various people on my specific team and the larger organization. I was offered a position about a week after those initial interviews and had regular conversations with my HR contact, who was really nice. I ultimately turned down the job to start something on my own, but it was a good interview experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How would my previous experience allow me to communicate complex ideas to large groups of stakeholders?   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

Employee Referral. Within two weeks I received correspondence from the HR team to schedule an interview. Before the interview I had to complete a standard employment status and EEOC questionnaire via an online portal. I was not in the location for the position I was applying for so the interview was conducted via Skype.

Interview Questions

• The questions on background and experience were primarily results-oriented. It was less about work-style so much as meeting goals and challenges/successes in doing so at prior positions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied along with an employee referral and heard back from a recruiting coordinator a few days later to schedule a Skype interview for two weeks later. The recruiting manager that conducted my Skype interview told me during the interview that she wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview at the DC office. I was flown to DC a little over a week later where I met with three members of the Marketing (Sales) leadership team. There was a presentation component during this round with one of the interviews (a sales pitch you received materials for well in advance). A few days after the in-person interview, I was contacted to set up a final phone interview and received an offer later that day.

Everyone I met with throughout all phases of the interview process was extremely pleasant, and I enjoyed meeting with all of them. Everyone I have met who is involved with the Advisory Board Company has been wonderful. Most questions they asked were to see if I was a good fit for the culture of the company. This is something they outwardly put a strong emphasis on. There were a few behavioral questions here and there, but no case questions aside from the presentation.

Interview Questions

• The presentation was a bit unnerving so I would definitely say it was the most difficult, but I was given plenty of time to prepare and was quick and painless during the actual interview. They also asked a lot about my previous work experience.   Answer Question
    • "How do you feel about the idea of being evaluated in a sales position?"   Answer Question
    • "Why are you interested in ABC and the healthcare industry?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what my compensation expectations were during the Skype interview phase of the process. If you have expectations, be sure to voice them at this time.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Five, 30 minute interviews with sales managers. There was an initial phone screening before I was flown to DC for in-person interviews. Once the in-person interviews were completed, I received an offer within days.

Interview Questions

• Broad based questions related to my past work experience. They asked me to give a mock client presentation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

I was referred by a managing director and then called for a preliminary interview on the phone. After that first interview, i was invited back for an in-office 2nd round interview a couple days later.

My second round interview included 5 1:1 interviews. During one of the interviews, i gave a presentation on some materials that they sent me prior to the interview.

The interviews were fairly informal and they use behavioral interviewing techniques. Best to have thought out examples of your performance and examples from your previous jobs or college to discuss.

My interviews were generally very friendly and non-confrontational. Just understand the company and the job you're applying to well, ask questions for clarification and know why they should hire you for that position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I found my offer to be very good and did not negotiate other than to request a relocation bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

Sent in resume, an internal referral to the company. It took over a week to hear from them that I would be an ideal candidate for an interview. I have 3+yrs sales experience with a proven successful track record. I was told prior the interview that they really don't like to hire external people for the AD role, and they dont' want you to come in with experience because they prefer to mold you into what they want you to be. Sales pitch, technique...etc. The role is considered consultative.

The interview went well, and I closed the interviewer. He told me that it would be about 2 weeks before I heard anything back (if they like you, it will be a week per the employee i know). Yesterday was 2 weeks. I don't walk around with a know-it-all mentality, but when I walked out of the interview I felt that I answered all the questions correctly, but if I didn't get the position, it was because I had too much prior experience. When I asked the interviewer what my biggest obstacle would be, based on the information he knows about me, he said that he thinks it will be difficult for me to forget all the sales techniques I have learned, give them up, and start from scratch. They would expect me to not use any prior experience, and start fresh.

This morning, I had an interview with another company, and they scheduled my second interview before the interview was over - this job required 3-5 years B2B outside sales experience.

This ABC position pays well, but good luck getting in without an executive referral or with sales experience.

They also do not call you back or send you an email letting you know they are not interested.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a sales win from start to finish and explain to me how you do it and why you won it.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in June 2008.

Interview

Very pleasant hiring managers. After the initial phone screen, it was less situational and more whether I was a fit for the firm. Questions included what experience I had working towards a goal, my work style, organization. How have I overcome adversity in the workplace.

Interview Questions

• What types of goals had I worked towards, consultative sales experience?   Answer Question