The Advisory Board Company Business Analyst Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through an internal employee referral. The entire interview process took two weeks.

A member of their Career Management Team reached out a few days after I applied for a position through their application portal, and a phone screen was arranged for the following week. The phone screen consisted of mainly behavioral questions, and the person interviewing me probed a couple of items on resume. My second round phone interview was scheduled a few days after the initial phone screen, this time with a member of the team that I was interviewing for. I was asked to do an Excel assessment before the second-round interview, which I did under a set time period the day before the interview itself. The questions that were asked during the second round phone interview were mainly behavioral and skills-based.

I was then invited to an third round in-person interview the following week at their DC office; this consisted of two one-hour interviews. The first interview was part behavioral, but mostly a technical/skills-based interview. I was quizzed about my knowledge of data files and data structures via a theoretical scenario. The second interview was with the head of the team that I was interviewing for the position with, and that consisted of behavioral questions followed by a case-style interview.

While I am disappointed that I did not receive an offer, the entire interview process was smooth the entire way, and I had a very positive experience every step of the way. The Career Management team was always in touch with me and and were very transparent about where I was in the interviewing process. And most surprisingly, among all interviews I've done with multiple organizations, this was a very expeditious process I've been in from start to finish. I am very impressed by how this was all handled (even if the outcome wasn't what I wanted), and I look forward to future opportunities with them in the near future!

P.S. Looking over the reviews of interviews from both successful and unsuccessful applicants here on Glassdoor has helped prepare me for what to expect during the interview process at The Advisory Board Company. This definitely helped me out a lot as it provided me insight to things I might not have expected or thought of in the first place, and I encourage anyone to do the same!

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for The Advisory Group Company?   Answer Question
  • Why are you interested in working in healthcare consulting?   Answer Question
  • Please describe to me how you would describe the structure of SQL   Answer Question
  • Why did you choose to study these majors while in college?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

ABC has a very lengthy interview process and mine lasted for almost 3 to 4 months. The initial interview is with someone from the HR department. Its a pretty short and generic interview with HR mostly talking to you about the company and other administrative stuff. After that I had a phone interview with someone from the team followed by 2 in person interviews at the facility. The in person interviews are with 2 or more interviewers that interview the candidate individually so expect to spend about 2 hours for each in person interview. After each interview the HR will get back to you with any further response after 2 to 3 weeks which makes the overall interview process really lengthy. My overall experience was average. While some interviews went very smooth based on the questions asked others were not as good. Keep in mind it is crucial to impress all the interviewers as the decision on who to employ is a joint decision by the entire team.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Brief phone screen, and then a Preview Day at their location. Everyone was friendly, both the interview cases were reasonable and not too quantitative. They were more interested in the questions you had. Two hour-long cases with two people, but they each asked personal questions for about twenty minutes, so the hour went by rather quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I got a call for the interview of a business analyst position after applying via LinkedIn. Fairly simple interview strictly behavioural. It was hard to understand what they expected out of a candidate as the position seemed rather vague. Overall the interview was quite easy and stuck to situation questions.

Interview Questions

• Many questions were being repeated, the interviewer kept asking certain facts on my resume which was a little confusing. As far as technical skills were concerned, they did not mention what was required to be a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted an application and was invited for a first-round interview a few days later. The first interview was fairly basic and the questions were straightforward and expected. Two weeks later I got invited for a second-round interview at Washington D.C. However, this did not get scheduled for another month and a half. They took care of the travel needs, which was appreciated.
    The second- round interviews were harder than expected. They consisted of two back to back interviews with higher ups in the department, with more focus on behavioral questions than case interviews. The case interview was surprisingly the most straightforward.
    The writing portion was fair.

Business Analyst, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was surprised to get a call back a few months later. HR set up a screening time and the first in phone interview was very easy. She was impressed and decided to move me to the final round. I flew to DC for 3 back to back interviews. I was supposed to have a case interview, a client skills interview, and a technical interview. The client skills interview went okay, they were looking for being honest with the client. There was no technical interview, my interviewer was switched at the last second and it was another behavioral interview. The case interview caught me by surprise, because I was expecting a full blown case on solving a client's profits/costs/etc. It was so simple that I over-thought it and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• What if your project is behind schedule and the clients are not doing the work, what do you tell the CEO?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume online via their career portal. I received a call a few days later from HR for a screening. Later that day I received and email to set up another call with HR. An in-house interview date was scheduled for the following week. I was scheduled to meet with 4 people: 1 hr, 1 hr, 30 min, 30 min. I did a basic case study with one interviewer and a basic analysis of healthcare related data with a second interviewer. All in all, very basic questions - mostly behavioral. Come prepared with lots of scenarios.

Two days later I received a call from a Director within HR to tell me that I did not get the BA position. They offered it to a current employee making a lateral jump for the BA position. Understandable. However, the team was impressed with me and asked the Director to find another position. He scheduled a 2nd in-house interview. Same format as before. Met with 4 more people over 2 hours.

I waited two weeks before contacting HR to inquire on the positions. The Director informed me that the position was filled. I asked for feedback on my interviews. We scheduled a call the following day to give him time to review all of the notes. 7/8 on positive comments and recommendations for a job offer. One interviewer asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. I replied that eventually I would lie to obtain my MBA/MHA. Apparently that was a red flag with her. The HR Director informed me that she was unsure for my commitment to staying with the company in the long term. She was reserved because Business Analyst positions are difficult to fill.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I received a call back the next day after I applied online for a Business Analyst position. This first call was just a brief 10 minute HR screen. The person obviously read scripted questions and was not paying attention, only providing the occasional "uh hu" or "that sounds good". This was my first cue that this would not lead anywhere and was previously mentioned in another review. At the end of the call the person mentioned that they would forward my information to the hiring manager and contact me should they be interested in bringing me in to DC. Well I did receive an email confirming I made it to the next round BUT the recruiter also mentioned this would be another phone interview. This call was only about 20 minutes and seemingly the same questions asked in the HR screen by some person who was not the person I was told would be conducting the interview-second warning. A few days later I got another email stating I would be interviewing further for two different types of Business Analyst roles(global technologies and a local role in DC). I was asked to confirm my availability and was told the hiring manager was traveling overseas so yet another phone interview needed to be scheduled-third and final warning this was not going to happen. We confirmed the interview and then two weeks later(the week of the final interview) I was emailed saying the company no longer wished to pursue me. I thought the whole process was unorganized and completely turned me off to this company. They email you the name of one person who would be conducting the interview and every time it was some other person. I believe the recruiters may just be looking to fill quotas in screens versus actually finding qualified people. I would not recommend interviewing with this company. Try Accenture or Deloitte where the process is straight forward and seamless. I am in the process of interviewing with larger firms with no issues whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• All questions were generic and based on my resume(even on the technical screen)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in April 2011.

Interview

After an employee referral, I waited 1 month until I was contacted by email asking for an interview, then another month to actually schedule the phone interview. I had one first round phone interview.

They asked basic questions about my resume and why wanted to work there.

I know a lot of people who interviewed there and were never hired, so I had low hopes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

I'm not even sure where to being, but this was the weirdest experience yet. I had gone through the normal phone interview process, asked general questions about work experience and why I thought would be a good fit. Well I passed that, but even prior to all that the more I researched about the company the less I had respect for it. But I still gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought it would be better not to make any judgements until I see how their work culture is. What I disliked was the assembly line of people that were coming and going during interview day. The panel looked bored and it was obvious they had seem plenty of people before me, and well it was hard to take them seriously. I'm young and while i think it's good to have a good young workforce there should also be a balance.

Interview Questions

I had a better offer at another consulting company.