The Advisory Board Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

2.7

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a brief phone screening that last a few minutes. Pretty basic screening. Followed up by a face to face interview that last a few hours. What separates you from the other candidates?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got email from recruiter in a few weeks. The recruiter seemed a bit unexcited from the start of the call but I believe she thought I was under qualified.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I applied for a Research Analyst position and had an HR screening interview and then an interview with the hiring manager. I was asked to submit a writing sample at that time. I was then contacted by HR and told that I would be considered for the Consultant position instead. I interviewed with another hiring manager via phone for that position. I then received feedback that I would be interviewing for a different Consultant position in another part of the firm and it would be via Skype. The hiring manager for this position was extremely inpatient and I felt like the manager did not consider me from the beginning of the interview. At the same time, I was contacted by another recruiter from their Advisory practice about a different consulting opportunity and set up a time to talk to this recruiter. Ten minutes after the recruiter was supposed to call, I received an email from the recruiter asking to reschedule. I emailed my availability back and then never heard from the recruiter again. However, for the original consulting position in the other department I received a template email stating that I was "removed from consideration for all positions" without any additional information. I was really disappointed in the process given that they had interviewed 5 times, completed a writing sample and a case study and interviewed with 3 different departments over a period of multiple months. The whole recruiting process is a mess at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview Questions

• You're planning a student event at a University, what factors do you consider when planning the event and how do you prioritize?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I applied to several positions at the Advisory Board. I had a phone interview for the consultant position and I answered the questions thoroughly. The recruiter said that she would get back to me by the end of the week and did not respond to my thank you email. Afterwards, I received an automated email from the Advisory Board saying that I had been removed from consideration for all the positions I had applied to. When I sent an email to the coordinator who had set up my interview and asked for feedback/ why I had been removed from consideration for every position, she did not respond. My interview was rather ordinary so this kind of response surprised me. I was disappointed by the lack of followup in the process and lack of respect for my time, seeing as I had applied to several positions here and had invested significant time into my applications and had all of the required skills/ education.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I simply had the first telephone interview. I had received an internal referral and the company actually matched me with the Consultant role. After that referral I was contacted after 3 days to schedule a general conversation style phone interview. The emails were professional and to the point. They also gave me a link to follow and read up about the Consultant position. The interviewer called me at the proposed time and went through very basic questions which lasted maybe 25 minutes. After that she said she'd present my profile to the hiring managers on the teams with open positions and they would get back to me. Since I said I was open to other positions than Consultant, she said I'd have good chances since I have several years of experience in healthcare management and higher education. My friend in the company said they really try to find the right fit for you so don't apply to several jobs on the site if you get the phone interview. HR reiterated this. I didn't even get an in-person interview despite it having gone very well over phone, and despite my internal referral. I'm disappointed.

Interview Questions

• I have your resume here in front of me but I'd like you to present your background for me in your own words.   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to consider other positions and where do you see yourself developing in the Advisory Bard Company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter interview, then another interview with a senior HR person. Phone interview with a department member, wonderful and engaging. In person with two individuals one on one. Neither looked at my resume before we sat down. The first gave a case example. Good interview. The second acted like I was wasting his time. Wasn't knowledgeable about the job and seemed more interested in bragging about their role in the company. Was completely off-putting and bizarre. I thanked them both for their time and consideration. Emailed the original recruiter and told them I was no longer interested. Received a form email a week later stating they would not be making me an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an certain scenario   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted my resume (no cover letter) and received an email the next day for a phone interview. I had a very positive interview with the recruiter and was convinced that I would progress to the next round. A week after, they sent an email that they would no longer offer me a position at the firm. Very weird. I sent an email asking why and no response...

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college major? What do you do in your current position? Why ABC?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

This was probably one of the most colossal wastes of times in any job search I have attempted. The recruiter at Clinovations missed our phone interview twice. I finally connected, while she was at Starbucks and had me call her because she didn't have my number on hand. She was to schedule a next phone interview with a manager but she went on vacation (during the times she asked for my availability) and I had to get the interview set up with another recruiter. After having a great conversation with the manager I was told that there were no positions that matched my skills and experiences, even though I applied for a specific position. I'm not sure if this is common practice but I probably would not apply with Clinovations ever again.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Phone interview. Interviewer was courteous and well prepared to speak to me about my own experience and fit with the company. Asked specifically for salary requirements. Explained the role and the day to day activity involved. Inquired about potential fit for other positions. No boring interview questions ("biggest weakness," etc.).

Interview Questions

• Why this company?
      Why make a change from previous employer?
      Experience managing a team or a project?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

The process was stilted, at best, with different parts not knowing what each part was doing. There was very little feedback and a lot of effort required, including multiple interviews and a writing test. I did not feel that there was a lot of information conveyed back and the interview was treated as someone asking someone questions rather than a larger conversation about a good fit.