The Advisory Board Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I simply had the first telephone interview. I had received an internal referral and the company actually matched me with the Consultant role. After that referral I was contacted after 3 days to schedule a general conversation style phone interview. The emails were professional and to the point. They also gave me a link to follow and read up about the Consultant position. The interviewer called me at the proposed time and went through very basic questions which lasted maybe 25 minutes. After that she said she'd present my profile to the hiring managers on the teams with open positions and they would get back to me. Since I said I was open to other positions than Consultant, she said I'd have good chances since I have several years of experience in healthcare management and higher education. My friend in the company said they really try to find the right fit for you so don't apply to several jobs on the site if you get the phone interview. HR reiterated this. I didn't even get an in-person interview despite it having gone very well over phone, and despite my internal referral. I'm disappointed.

Interview Questions

• I have your resume here in front of me but I'd like you to present your background for me in your own words.   1 Answer
  • Are you willing to consider other positions and where do you see yourself developing in the Advisory Bard Company?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter interview, then another interview with a senior HR person. Phone interview with a department member, wonderful and engaging. In person with two individuals one on one. Neither looked at my resume before we sat down. The first gave a case example. Good interview. The second acted like I was wasting his time. Wasn't knowledgeable about the job and seemed more interested in bragging about their role in the company. Was completely off-putting and bizarre. I thanked them both for their time and consideration. Emailed the original recruiter and told them I was no longer interested. Received a form email a week later stating they would not be making me an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an certain scenario   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted my resume (no cover letter) and received an email the next day for a phone interview. I had a very positive interview with the recruiter and was convinced that I would progress to the next round. A week after, they sent an email that they would no longer offer me a position at the firm. Very weird. I sent an email asking why and no response...

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college major? What do you do in your current position? Why ABC?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

This was probably one of the most colossal wastes of times in any job search I have attempted. The recruiter at Clinovations missed our phone interview twice. I finally connected, while she was at Starbucks and had me call her because she didn't have my number on hand. She was to schedule a next phone interview with a manager but she went on vacation (during the times she asked for my availability) and I had to get the interview set up with another recruiter. After having a great conversation with the manager I was told that there were no positions that matched my skills and experiences, even though I applied for a specific position. I'm not sure if this is common practice but I probably would not apply with Clinovations ever again.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Phone interview. Interviewer was courteous and well prepared to speak to me about my own experience and fit with the company. Asked specifically for salary requirements. Explained the role and the day to day activity involved. Inquired about potential fit for other positions. No boring interview questions ("biggest weakness," etc.).

Interview Questions

• Why this company?
      Why make a change from previous employer?
      Experience managing a team or a project?
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

The process was stilted, at best, with different parts not knowing what each part was doing. There was very little feedback and a lot of effort required, including multiple interviews and a writing test. I did not feel that there was a lot of information conveyed back and the interview was treated as someone asking someone questions rather than a larger conversation about a good fit.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in March 2016.

Interview

Basic phone interview occurred first, basic questions about previous work experience and how that related to their work. Then a few questions about my general interest in healthcare and management consulting relating to that field. This interview came about because of a professional contact referring me, so this might not be the same structure as a cold interview with a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is your general strategy for approaching a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Good experience.
    The recruiting team contacted 1 day after submitting resume. Responsible about questions and schedule an initial phone interview.
    Interviewer was very engaged in our conversation and knowledgable about the company. She called right on time, and seemed enthusiastic. Interview was supposed to run for 15 minutes and we ended up talking for 40 minutes. During a week, I was informed of following steps

Interview Questions

• Let's go over your resume....
      I was asked why of every single activity on my resume
      Answer Question

not interested in relocating

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

After phone interview with a recruiter, was invited to interview in DC office. The interview process was very unorganized, seemed like random people were thrown in to the interview as interviewees. Quite terrible with providing prompt response to emails or calls. For any company that do not respect potential candidate or employees time its a clear sign of lack of responsibility. I personally expect the company to respond according to their initially stated timeline, or at least notify the delay or miscommunication or anything that can provide explanation of the delay. Not acknowledging their lack of responsibility or mistake in communication strongly suggests to me the unimpressive level of maturity this company has. Some interviewers spent majority of the time what a great company they are and how much I can grow from here when they should be asking me questions to really test my ability and fit.

The company is employed by very young workforce in the early to mid 20s with extremely high turnovers. Not much learning opportunity from the actually experienced employees. All in all I should have listened to the advice from some of these posts here. Experiences, however, can vary from individual to individual. I gave them a benefit of the doubt but they certainly let me down.

lack of firm's maturity

Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied for the Consultant position but didn't make it past the first interview which was over the phone. It was pretty basic and followed the pattern outlined by previous reviewers where I was aksed why I wanted the job and for me to run through my resume for the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• No obviously difficult question but that's perhaps because I never made it past the first interview.   Answer Question