The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I don't recommend anyone interview here if you come from out of state. They took over three months to reimburse my expenses and wouldn't reimburse some things such as the meal I ate during my interview. My meals were very reasonable and all way below their budget. I mostly ate at fast food places because I didn't know the area. I wouldn't have gone if I knew this would be a problem. Even to get that check I had to email over ten times asking when my check would come. I also think it's not a good sign that they're so stingy about reimbursement because most likely they would be stingy with their employees as well.

Interview Questions

• If you have two eggs what is the optimal way to find out what floor they will break on in a hundred floor building?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I applied to several positions at the Advisory Board. I had a phone interview for the consultant position and I answered the questions thoroughly. The recruiter said that she would get back to me by the end of the week and did not respond to my thank you email. Afterwards, I received an automated email from the Advisory Board saying that I had been removed from consideration for all the positions I had applied to. When I sent an email to the coordinator who had set up my interview and asked for feedback/ why I had been removed from consideration for every position, she did not respond. My interview was rather ordinary so this kind of response surprised me. I was disappointed by the lack of followup in the process and lack of respect for my time, seeing as I had applied to several positions here and had invested significant time into my applications and had all of the required skills/ education.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

After I applied online through the company's career page, I was contacted two days later by a company representative. She asked for my availability for a 1st round phone interview within the next two weeks. After, we set a date about 1 week and a half after initial contact. The reviews of the phone interviews, here on glassdoor, prepared me for the interview style which is quick and straightforward. We spent about 25-30 minutes on the phone and the interviewer said that I would be contacted 5-10 business days after the recruiting team deliberated to be informed whether I move on to second round interviews. The interviewer was polite and did not spend a lot of time giving me feedback on my answers and moved on to the next answers which I think is the style of the interview.

Python Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about 1.5 months from start to finish. I was applying as a remote candidate and the process was phone screen with HR representative, technical interview with member of dev team via GoToMeeting, in-person interviews with 2 senior members of dev team and a senior project manager. Between each stage of the process it took 1-2 weeks for them to get back to me, but once I was moved on to the next stage then it only took between a few hours and a couple days to schedule the next interview. During the second round of interviews the person who I ended up meeting with was not the person the HR rep told me I would be meeting with. The company flew me down to DC for the in-person interviews and put me up in a hotel and reimbursed for food. Interviews were scheduled for 1.5 hrs but took 2. Ended up getting a free afternoon to hang around DC.

The in-person technical interview was disorganized. I met with 2 developers at the same time. When presented with a technical problem I started asking questions in order to nail down some details and get the scope of the problem. The 2 developers interviewing me had conflicting answers to my questions and had to talk among themselves for a few minutes to determine what the problem actually was. As I continued asking questions and repeating questions in order to make sure we were all on the same page, I continued to get different answers that would change my course of action. Overall this was the most disorganized and ill-prepared part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 potentially infinite streams of key, value pairs where the keys are integers and are always greater than or equal to the previous key in the stream, write an algorithm to read from the streams and place the keys into 4 buckets where:
      - bucket 1 contains keys only in stream 1
      - bucket 2 contains keys only in stream 2
      - bucket 3 contains keys in both streams and where values are equal
      - bucket 4 contains keys in both stream but values are not equal
      Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Received email shortly after applying and set up 30 minute phone call with general questions; walked through details on resume and then questions about why I was interested in the company and said they would contact within the week

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in March 2017.

Interview

This is the first company I have applied that had such bad experience. I am not based in D.C, and I applied, the next day got an email to ask me to fly to D.C to have an in person interview. I was kinda surprised, cuz usually I would get a phone interview first. But in the email, they asked me to fly to their headquarter to have the interview. So I wrote back to the HR right away, asking some questions like if they would reimburse the flight tickets, and how long the interview will take, who I'm gonna meet, things like that.

And on my job application, there's a question asking me if I need sponsorship in the future, I clicked "yes" (I am a foreign worker), so just to double check with the HR, I re-stated that in the email too, asking if they would sponsor foreign worker.

Then four days passed, I didn't get any reply from the HR, and she asked me to fly to D.C the following week, but she didn't even set up the interview with me. I sent her a follow up email but she didn't answer, then I called her office twice she also didn't answer. I was so confused cuz I was gonna buy flight tickets. Finally I had to call advisory board company's number and transferred to career department and left my msg. After 30 mins she replied my email and said sorry for the delayed reply but they don't sponsor foreign workers.

It is very disappointing since when they check my application they would have known I needed sponsorship, and they still offered me an interview then I assumed they would sponsor. And after she sent me email to invite me to the interview she just disappeared. It would be nice at least tell me right away that they made a mistake, they don't sponsor, etc. But instead just no response. No respect for people's time and bad management in hiring process.

Research Analyst- Health Care Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within 72 hours of submitting my application for a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was focused on walking through resume and with a research background most of the interview was focused on it. At the end of the interview, time was allocated to focus on any questions. I was told that I would receive a decision if I were to move on within the next 10 days. Surprisingly, received an email within a week that I was not moving especially since the recruiter said my focus, perspectives, and background resonated with ABC's values. However, not upset since setting up the interview was pretty disorganized with slow responses.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

The interview was pretty straight forward, the interviewer asked me three questions one puzzle and two programming questions. I did answer the first two confidently and could only solve the third question partially and the time was up ( 45 mins). So i was asked to stop.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

I went through maybe 6-8 group or individual interviews with multiple departments, none of which for positions I actually applied for. Wasn't really given ample time to prepare for each department, since they weren't the positions I applied for. All the interviewers were really young - under 30. I had one or two second round interviews I think, but did not pass. Interviews were pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• If you could have changed one thing about the college you went to, what would you change? Tell us about your previous experiences/walk me through your resume. How do you work under stress? What do you do to stay organized?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview was fairly basic. The interviewer called me about an hour early. We talked about my background and the company. She seemed impressed with my back ground, but also gave off the vibe that it did not align with their company.

Interview Questions

• What is an instance in which you took a situation that was out of your control and made it yours   Answer Question