The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,053 Interview Reviews

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two Months of Unrequited Love

Somehow my well-intended application to ABC turned into a 2-month-long tragic saga of unrequited love.

This begins with a phone interview that went well enough for an invite to DC, in which I had to pay my own expenses.

The day before the in-office visit I was told that one of the positions had been filled. My in-office visit went very well, and I met several people on the finance team. I felt that they liked me it was a great fit. I was also asked to stay for an additional, unscheduled interview (I read on gd that this was a 'good sign').

A few days later, I got an email saying that based off of the "strength" of my interviews they would also like to consider me for another position, which came w another phone interview.

She's Just Not That Into You: then the email chain began. At least 2x a week I had to call & email the recruiter to find out the status of my app—she only did the bare minimum in contacting me. She consistently took days to respond and calls always went to voicemail. I wondered if she was even in the office--the general recruiting line also didn't pick up. At one point I had to contact another recruiter to just get her to email back. Every email only consisted of generic "we're still processing your app."

Several weeks pass. ABC remained my top choice. The recruiter had now given me the impression that they were sorting out the details & were likely to hire me. I rejected another offer bc of this impression. After I told her about my othe offer, she said something to the effect of “we should have an update for you in the next few days”—explicitly encouraging me about my application to ABC.

In every email I got from her she said that they were "expediting" my application and she would "hope to get back to me" by the end of the week. Every week was the same story. She probably told me 25 times that they were "expediting my request" or "expediting the process" or "expediting my application."

I then get an email over a month later inviting me to interview again at the DC office with 2 other individuals on the finance team. I thought this was odd, but I was happy to do it bc I was eager about and hoped this would seal the deal. Again, this was at my own expense, but seemed worth it bc these interviews went very well.

After, I was told by the recruiter that I "should" be hearing back in one week. At this point, given the time, money, effort, and positive feedback from the recruiter I felt very confident about it.

Every indication I got from my recruiter about the lengthy process was that it wasn't me, it was them, and the "recruiting process was longer" than it used to be, etc. All while this was happening, I was reading in the news about United Health's talks to acquire ABC, so I assumed (no word on this from anyone I spoke to at ABC) that this was part of the reason why they were stalling my hiring (especially for an internal finance position).

The Betrayal: After this second in-office interview, two weeks pass and I receive an AUTOMATED EMAIL saying that the analyst position was filled. This whole time, they had been interviewing someone else and stringing me along.

Seeking Closure: I emailed my recruiter asking for some feedback: after all, we had been in contact ALL summer and I'm on the hunt for my first job--this would have great value. She, in true form, didn't answer my question. She sent me a generic form-letter response saying that "there are so many applicants" and "they will keep my resume on file." I understand that I'm not the perfect candidate for every job, but the impression that ABC gave me was that they needed to sort out things themselves before they could hire me--something rather believable in the context of the acquisition rumors I read on credible business news outlets.

The Advisory Board really needs to rethink the treatment of their applicants. I would be embarrassed if I were overseeing a recruiting office that lead to this saga. Obviously, there are larger forces in play when hiring an applicant, and not all of this was my recruiter's fault. I was extremely patient and understanding while they were actually mistreating and misleading me. My recruiter was distant and ALWAYS unreachable. It's very weird for a company that prides itself on company culture.

While I was once gung-ho for ABC, the stringing-along, ending with an automatic rejection email, will prevent me from ever considering ABC again. They clearly do not understand how to conduct an efficient and pleasant recruiting process—not to mention how difficult and trying it is to find your first job.

This recruiting process has left me with a horrible impression of ABC. I suggest to all who consider applying here—which also applies to dating—to take what your recruiters say with a grain of salt--do not put up with them the way I did: you might end up getting your heart broken.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in September 2017.

Interview

I got the interview from career fair and was informed of a on-campus interview next day. The recruiters are super friendly. They let me talked about my resume and then gave me a technical question. The total process took 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Minimum number of cakes can be cooked based on recipe and what you have.   Answer Question

Analyst, Research & Insights Interview

Interview

The Advisory Board Company process includes a lot of behavioral questions at the beginning, and then case interview questions towards the end. Would recommend a lot of practice with case interview questions. Also make sure to familiarize yourself with the company's mission

IT Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

They set up a preliminary phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter would then pass the summary of the phone interview to the hiring manger who would decide if they wanted an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• The asked about experience managing infrastructure projects.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in August 2017.

Interview

I applied to a different position but they wanted me to interview for their Sales Associate role as well based on my past work experiences, but then at the end I was told I wasn't fit for that role (which is why I didn't apply to it in the first place.) That was a little frustrating but overall the interview process was not too difficult and I really enjoyed the people I talked to. They ask a lot of behavioral type questions and I got the feeling they were looking for specific types of answers.

Interview Questions

• What's one thing you think you'll excel at with this job and one thing you'll need to work on?   Answer Question

International Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was friendly and asked simple, standard questions. I was asked to guide her through my resume, and she asked more specific questions after I had done so.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview and follow-up in-person interviews about a week later. Process was quite fast but communication could have been a little better. Phone interview is with HR personnel while in-person interviews are with members of the teams one is applying to be on.

Test Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

HR phone interview, technical phone interview, technical face to face interview and HR in person interview. For technical face to face interview multiple panel members would be there.

Junior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

Recruiter recommended a different position than I applied for, and I scheduled a phone screen for the following week. I did a ton of preparation and was actually excited to work for a company for once. The call went extremely well. I talked about my community service, which was very important according to the recruiter and reviews here. It could not have gone any smoother. However a week later I got the standard rejection email. Unreal.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an Excel project, what is your biggest strength/weakness   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Intervied on campus with an awesome recruiter who I absolutely loved. Very basic interview questions. Invited to an onsite super day (but was far shorter than others I had been to). When we first arrived, had lunch with a current MA, then had a brief presentation on the company and service (which they care about highly). I recommend asking questions to show you're engaged. Next you will either go into your 1-1 with a manager and a 2-1 with more seasoned employees. Next you have a tour and see the awesome terrace! Overall a great day. Decided not to take the job because of the salary, although they offered me the top of the range listed here.