The Advisory Board Company Healthcare Consultant/Dedicated Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Healthcare Consultant/Dedicated Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

General Impression: The company has some good upper-level opportunities but is not the best place for entry-level candidates who are interested in gaining experience and doing significant, quality work. The Marketing Associate position seems to be where most current employees get their start and the company strongly prefers to hire internally. Unfortunately based on conversations with current employees, Marketing Associates are salesmen (cold calling) who do little to actually impact healthcare management/improvement. These roles are usually filled by students just out of undergrad. ABC is well-known in the industry for underpaying employees. Most employees at ABC are very young. Job listings and descriptions use ABC terminology with is at times extremely general and somewhat deceiving. ABC is not a traditional healthcare consulting firm and is likely not a good fit for those interested in actual healthcare consulting.

The interview process took far too long. Compared to other well-known healthcare consulting firms, ABC was relatively unorganized and somewhat inconsiderate throughout the interview process.

Within about a week of submitting my resume with a referral, I got a 30 minute phone interview scheduled for a week later. It was a typical "screening" interview.

The interviewer began by telling me about her background and experience at the company. She then asked me to tell her about myself/walk her through my resume. She followed up with a few questions about various items on my resume: how did I reduce costs for the hospitals, talk about a time when I worked on a project from beginning to end, how are my project management skills, etc. The next day, I received an invitation to interview in-person when I was about two months away from a realistic start date.

Just scheduling a date to interview in-person took two full months. Depending on the position, you will have to completed specific assignments prior to the interviews. I was scheduled to interview for more than one position, which I appreciated. Unfortunately, half of my interviews were cancelled when I was en route because they said they had just filled the position. Sadly, this meant that the time I spent preparing those assignments was wasted. They then said I would interview for a position I was not actually interested in.

In-person interviews are 1-on-1. They were mostly asking questions related to my experience, interest in the position, and fit with the company. They asked many questions about times when I made mistakes, had great successes, group work, individual work, my general background, my interest in healthcare, my interest in the company, my experience with front-line staff, my experience with executives, my customer services skills, etc. There was NO case interview and NO quantitative problem. Multiple interviewers asked me to give them my 20-30 second elevator pitch. One interviewer put on a lot of pressure, which seemed intentional. I think it may have been to see how you would stand up to stubborn clients who question your credibility.

After contacting my recruiter a week after the interviews, I was scheduled for an additional phone interview, which was a week later and the same as the others. Without a decision from ABC after such a long period of time, I accepted an offer with another company.

Note: the "Healthcare Consultant" position is NOT a consulting position. It is a role married to a specific software program and turns out to be more technology focused. It is NOT in the consulting department of the company. The ABC terminology is very deceiving.

Interview Questions

• You're obviously not qualified for this position... Why do you think you're qualified?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Dedicated Advisor (Healthcare Consultant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in January 2011.

Interview

Very basic behavioral interview. Asked me to walk through my resume, explain my interest in healthcare consulting and my interest in the company. Interview was very nice, personable. Conversation had a great flow...no awkward pauses or uncomfortable moments. I was really happy with the way it went, but was not offered a position at this time. However, the interviewer said they keep resumes and interview results on file for 6 months. Overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions