The Advisory Board Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.8

Research Analyst- Health Care Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within 72 hours of submitting my application for a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was focused on walking through resume and with a research background most of the interview was focused on it. At the end of the interview, time was allocated to focus on any questions. I was told that I would receive a decision if I were to move on within the next 10 days. Surprisingly, received an email within a week that I was not moving especially since the recruiter said my focus, perspectives, and background resonated with ABC's values. However, not upset since setting up the interview was pretty disorganized with slow responses.

Senior Analyst, International Healthcare IT Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process lasted for 6 weeks. I was contacted in a couple of days after the online application by the Hiring Manager. It was an engaging experience, wherein along with behavioral and resume oriented questions, there was more focus on why I want to be considered for this position. Immediately after the phone interview, I was scheduled for a 90-minute video interview and writing exercise with a Senior Director in UK. The interview included behavioral questions and a case. I was then scheduled for another phone interview with US expert and an interview with a Consultant. Lastly, was invited to the HQ in DC for an in-person interview with the Executive Director. Overall, the process went quickly and HR was very impressive in communication.

Healthcare Strategic Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through the Advisory Board Company's website and heard back almost immediately. From there I had a very basic phone screening with a recruiter. Super relaxed just going over why you are interested in research and ABC and simple resume questions. The next step was a 90 minute writing assessment where you are given 2 prompts and must complete one of them. I moved on from that and had another phone interview with someone who has gone through the position I was applying for. This 2nd interview consisted of behavioral questions and a case. I made it past this and was asked to interview in person in Washington DC. Prior to going to DC, they asked me to complete another 90 minute writing assessment which consisted of the same exact 2 prompts. In Washington DC, I was scheduled for 2 behavioral questions/case question interviews. They added on a 3rd with a director after. This was my first interview so I don't know how it compares to others, but it didn't seem too difficult. They didn't give me a tour of the facility or take me out to lunch, which I though was weird.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when at first you didn't succeed?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you had to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a team member wasn't working well with the team?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied on website and was contacted by a recruiting coordinating (not interviewer). They were a bit slow to get back (over a week to respond). I got a phone interview with a recruiting professional who was friendly. It was a 30 min interview that consisted of pretty generic questions -- behavioral, fit, and interest questions predominantly. The interviewer talked for much of it about the role and company.

Interview Questions

• Why ABC? What research experience do you have? Walk me through your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Thought it went well overall and I thought I was engaging the interviewers throughout (I even made on of my interviewers laugh during the case study which reflected my cool demeanor). I also thought I had great ideas in the writing component of the application

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and heard back within a day. I had an initial phone interview with HR. HR missed the initial interview time, but then emailed me to apologize and explain the situation. We were able to reschedule for later the day. Very basic interview, 30 minutes long. She asked a lot about my resume, research experience, and presentation experience. Received an email the next day saying I had moved on to the second round. This was to be a 1-hour phone interview and a writing exam. It took me about a month to schedule it because the HR person was out of the office for a week. I kept following up, but then it was the winter holiday, so I received no response, not even a computer-generated email saying that they were out of the office. It was a bit annoying. Finally heard back i the new year with more details about the second interview and writing exam. Second interview consisted of 30-minute behavioral and 30-minute case questions. Behavioral questions were straightforward and asked more about my experiences and how I respond to different situations. Case interview was relatively easy and consisted of no math. The writing exam was similar to the case interview. I received an email the next day saying I had moved to the third round, in the DC office. Interviews were to be similar as the second stage one. I had a total of two. The first one was easy and straightforward. The case also had no math. For the second interview, my interviewer was 15 minutes late. He showed up in a baseball cap and jeans and told me he would have to cut the interview 15 minutes early. He was also pretty cocky about it. I thought it was pretty rude. He asked me about an experience on my resume, then focused on the case interview. This one had math. All in all, a pretty strange interview experience, especially the in-person one.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline? If so, how did you handle it? What was your favorite class? Tell me about x, y, z experience.   Answer Question

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

HR makes it very difficult for process to go smoothly, but if you work around them, it's a 4-5 interview process, 4 over the phone, 2 in person. writing sample, business case analysis. the process

Interview Questions

• Tell me a story I will find interesting   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

First round: standard behavioral and getting to know you questions. Second round: research day in DC, 2 case interviews followed by a third of you did well. The cases were very health care focused, be sure to be well versed in hospital/health systems related factors to consider.

Interview Questions

• Case about what factors to consider when closing a clinic at a hospital.
      All very health care focused
      1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in November 2016.

Interview

I learned about the opportunity from my university. I applied online and sent the recruiter an e-mail. She responded 2 weeks later, requesting a telephone screening. The telephone screening was 20 minutes long. She asked questions about salary range, prior research experience, and whether I was comfortable corresponding with a supervisor who was located overseas. She also asked if I was comfortable staying at the company for 2 years. (ABC wants a 2-year commitment from all employees.) It was a pretty straightforward telephone screening. She seemed very enthusiastic about the process and responded the following business day with next steps. The next steps would be that I would have a video conference with the hiring manager and a writing assessment.

I had the writing assessment a week and a half later. The writing assessment's prompt is set up like a case-style interview, so be prepared. Here's an example of how the questions were posed: What factors should a health system consider if they were to add a new facility? I believe ABC values someone who is well-versed in business; they want a sharp analytical thinker.

The third part of the interview was the video conference and here's where things became a bit unusual, based on others' account of their experience. Instead of asking case-style questions the interviewer expected me to have intimate knowledge on the company's business model, products, services, competitors, and the unique challenges that the company experiences. Here's an example the questions posed:

What is our business model?
    What makes us different from our competitors?
    Who are our competitors?
    From our members' perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
    If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?

In order to answer these questions, you'd have to do an INTENSE study of the company's investment relations report; have a thorough understanding of their market and their competitors. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• What is our business model?
      What makes us different from our competitors?
      Who are our competitors?
      From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
      If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
      If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?
      2 Answers
    • Behavioral, Questions about the company, and General Interview Questions   Answer Question

Had another offer

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email for an interview. Currently waiting for the response, but it seems like there is at least one more in-person interview after the initial screening.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college?   1 Answer