The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017
1,021 Interview Reviews

2.8

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in November 2016.

Interview

I learned about the opportunity from my university. I applied online and sent the recruiter an e-mail. She responded 2 weeks later, requesting a telephone screening. The telephone screening was 20 minutes long. She asked questions about salary range, prior research experience, and whether I was comfortable corresponding with a supervisor who was located overseas. She also asked if I was comfortable staying at the company for 2 years. (ABC wants a 2-year commitment from all employees.) It was a pretty straightforward telephone screening. She seemed very enthusiastic about the process and responded the following business day with next steps. The next steps would be that I would have a video conference with the hiring manager and a writing assessment.

I had the writing assessment a week and a half later. The writing assessment's prompt is set up like a case-style interview, so be prepared. Here's an example of how the questions were posed: What factors should a health system consider if they were to add a new facility? I believe ABC values someone who is well-versed in business; they want a sharp analytical thinker.

The third part of the interview was the video conference and here's where things became a bit unusual, based on others' account of their experience. Instead of asking case-style questions the interviewer expected me to have intimate knowledge on the company's business model, products, services, competitors, and the unique challenges that the company experiences. Here's an example the questions posed:

What is our business model?
    What makes us different from our competitors?
    Who are our competitors?
    From our members' perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
    If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?

In order to answer these questions, you'd have to do an INTENSE study of the company's investment relations report; have a thorough understanding of their market and their competitors. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• What is our business model?
      What makes us different from our competitors?
      Who are our competitors?
      From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
      If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
      If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?
      2 Answers
    • Behavioral, Questions about the company, and General Interview Questions   Answer Question

Had another offer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then 2 case interviews with senior consultant and hiring manager, followed by an interrogation by a top executive. If you get to the third interview, it's important to stay just as enthusiastic (if not more) than you were during the first.

Interview Questions

• Make sure to read all of the questions on Glassdoor prior to going in. Practice casing and be genuine   Answer Question

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennimalai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Chennimalai (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

I have nearly 4 years of experience in PHP.
    HR called me for PHP Developer interview on Saturday and they sent call letter email. I don't think interview will like that. In my experience I also interviewed for developer hiring process.

Interview Questions

• They asked following questions
      1.Tell me about your roll in the current company.
      2.They asked about constraints and triggers.
      3.How will you develop database.
      4.Your currently in code development but this company is maintance of some projects. Is it OK for you?
      5.They asked apart from technical what you expect from this company?
      1 Answer

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Interview

Phone interview was around 30 minutes long, mostly behavioral interview questions. I was contacted by email for an onsite interview about a week later. The onsite interview was overall a good experience, I spoke with 3 managers, and they were all very courteous. I had to do a case interview for one of the interviews. They gave me an excel data set to analyze and create a powerpoint presentation.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral interview questions during the phone interview were tough. You have to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Academies Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

One of the more arduous processes I've been through. Had to interview with 4-5 different people and was tasked with case study work. College pedigree definitely matters for a first look. Took offer with high expectations, but left after 2 years.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer will put you on the spot with Harvard Business Review type issues and must instantly rationalize in order to convey how you thought process works. Comes across as a "trick question". It's a test of your logic skills.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Austin, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

Hiring process took a long time ( several months). Had to go through a phone screen, then an interview with four different managers (one hour each). I was not impressed with the screening and interview process, but I was impressed with one of the interviewers.

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mangalore (India)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Mangalore (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

i had written exam in this field .that time very difficult for me .nw i can mannage myself

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I applied for a Research Analyst position and had an HR screening interview and then an interview with the hiring manager. I was asked to submit a writing sample at that time. I was then contacted by HR and told that I would be considered for the Consultant position instead. I interviewed with another hiring manager via phone for that position. I then received feedback that I would be interviewing for a different Consultant position in another part of the firm and it would be via Skype. The hiring manager for this position was extremely inpatient and I felt like the manager did not consider me from the beginning of the interview. At the same time, I was contacted by another recruiter from their Advisory practice about a different consulting opportunity and set up a time to talk to this recruiter. Ten minutes after the recruiter was supposed to call, I received an email from the recruiter asking to reschedule. I emailed my availability back and then never heard from the recruiter again. However, for the original consulting position in the other department I received a template email stating that I was "removed from consideration for all positions" without any additional information. I was really disappointed in the process given that they had interviewed 5 times, completed a writing sample and a case study and interviewed with 3 different departments over a period of multiple months. The whole recruiting process is a mess at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview Questions

• You're planning a student event at a University, what factors do you consider when planning the event and how do you prioritize?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phum Chenn (Vietnam)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Phum Chenn (Vietnam)) in May 2016.

Interview

Psychometry + Case Presentation + Analysis + F2F interview and all the round were happening for a duration of 20 mins. And F2F was held in 4 rounds. And thorough understanding fo the industry was required. And there was a stress interview

Interview Questions

• Tel me about yourself & industry trends & Major opportunities & devise a go to market strategy   1 Answer

Performance Technology Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Overall my interview was very comfortable and friendly! The interviewer was very personable and really tried to draw the role out, as she was a coordinator previously. She went into depth on the work culture of The Advisory Board and how that is a huge part in delivering a high quality of work to our members. The questions were very detailed and orginized from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • What are the top 3 skills you could apply to this position, if given the opportunity?   Answer Question