The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 19, 2017
1,045 Interview Reviews

2.8

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

Interview process: 2 phone interviews and 1 in person. The 1st phone was with HR-basic questions. The 2nd interview was supposed to be case study style and was not (there was a writing portion here that was very easy and was technically case study). 3rd interview is in person.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a qualitative research experience. Why advisory board? Why research? How has your writing improved since college? Tell me about your writing. Tell me about your organization. Strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

MA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

it was okay, not hard at all. was not too bad just asked normal questions. I do not think i would interview with them again. i do not know what else to write but there is a 30 word requirement.

Recruiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and was referred by 5 internal employees. I was contacted almost a month after applying for a phone interview. I had to wait two weeks for my phone interview to even happen. It was then rescheduled day of (an hour prior) because my interviewer double booked me with a meeting. I had already left work for the interview, and was thoroughly annoyed. The phone interview went really well and my interviewer Annie was very nice... never giving me any indication that I was not qualified for the role. I had tons of leadership experiences on campus, was a student athlete, had previous internships and work experience, and overall fit exactly what they claimed to have been looking for. I was told they would get back to me over the next few weeks with feedback. After two and a half weeks (and an email asking them the status of my candidacy), I was sent an automated email message noting that I was not offered the next round. No feedback, no explanation.... nothing.

I somehow wish I had gotten the job as a Recruiting Associate solely so that I could help this company manage talent. Recruiting is a two way street, and if you don't manage talent well you won't get it. Interview with this company if you have the patience, but it's a major red flag to see them treat candidates like this. Bad business, honestly...

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview, the interview went great and she said she liked my resume but I failed to hear back from her even after a follow-up email.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

I applied to several positions at the Advisory Board. I had a phone interview for the consultant position and I answered the questions thoroughly. The recruiter said that she would get back to me by the end of the week and did not respond to my thank you email. Afterwards, I received an automated email from the Advisory Board saying that I had been removed from consideration for all the positions I had applied to. When I sent an email to the coordinator who had set up my interview and asked for feedback/ why I had been removed from consideration for every position, she did not respond. My interview was rather ordinary so this kind of response surprised me. I was disappointed by the lack of followup in the process and lack of respect for my time, seeing as I had applied to several positions here and had invested significant time into my applications and had all of the required skills/ education.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

After I applied online through the company's career page, I was contacted two days later by a company representative. She asked for my availability for a 1st round phone interview within the next two weeks. After, we set a date about 1 week and a half after initial contact. The reviews of the phone interviews, here on glassdoor, prepared me for the interview style which is quick and straightforward. We spent about 25-30 minutes on the phone and the interviewer said that I would be contacted 5-10 business days after the recruiting team deliberated to be informed whether I move on to second round interviews. The interviewer was polite and did not spend a lot of time giving me feedback on my answers and moved on to the next answers which I think is the style of the interview.

Python Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about 1.5 months from start to finish. I was applying as a remote candidate and the process was phone screen with HR representative, technical interview with member of dev team via GoToMeeting, in-person interviews with 2 senior members of dev team and a senior project manager. Between each stage of the process it took 1-2 weeks for them to get back to me, but once I was moved on to the next stage then it only took between a few hours and a couple days to schedule the next interview. During the second round of interviews the person who I ended up meeting with was not the person the HR rep told me I would be meeting with. The company flew me down to DC for the in-person interviews and put me up in a hotel and reimbursed for food. Interviews were scheduled for 1.5 hrs but took 2. Ended up getting a free afternoon to hang around DC.

The in-person technical interview was disorganized. I met with 2 developers at the same time. When presented with a technical problem I started asking questions in order to nail down some details and get the scope of the problem. The 2 developers interviewing me had conflicting answers to my questions and had to talk among themselves for a few minutes to determine what the problem actually was. As I continued asking questions and repeating questions in order to make sure we were all on the same page, I continued to get different answers that would change my course of action. Overall this was the most disorganized and ill-prepared part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 potentially infinite streams of key, value pairs where the keys are integers and are always greater than or equal to the previous key in the stream, write an algorithm to read from the streams and place the keys into 4 buckets where:
      - bucket 1 contains keys only in stream 1
      - bucket 2 contains keys only in stream 2
      - bucket 3 contains keys in both streams and where values are equal
      - bucket 4 contains keys in both stream but values are not equal   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through an internal employee referral. The entire interview process took two weeks.

A member of their Career Management Team reached out a few days after I applied for a position through their application portal, and a phone screen was arranged for the following week. The phone screen consisted of mainly behavioral questions, and the person interviewing me probed a couple of items on resume. My second round phone interview was scheduled a few days after the initial phone screen, this time with a member of the team that I was interviewing for. I was asked to do an Excel assessment before the second-round interview, which I did under a set time period the day before the interview itself. The questions that were asked during the second round phone interview were mainly behavioral and skills-based.

I was then invited to an third round in-person interview the following week at their DC office; this consisted of two one-hour interviews. The first interview was part behavioral, but mostly a technical/skills-based interview. I was quizzed about my knowledge of data files and data structures via a theoretical scenario. The second interview was with the head of the team that I was interviewing for the position with, and that consisted of behavioral questions followed by a case-style interview.

While I am disappointed that I did not receive an offer, the entire interview process was smooth the entire way, and I had a very positive experience every step of the way. The Career Management team was always in touch with me and and were very transparent about where I was in the interviewing process. And most surprisingly, among all interviews I've done with multiple organizations, this was a very expeditious process I've been in from start to finish. I am very impressed by how this was all handled (even if the outcome wasn't what I wanted), and I look forward to future opportunities with them in the near future!

P.S. Looking over the reviews of interviews from both successful and unsuccessful applicants here on Glassdoor has helped prepare me for what to expect during the interview process at The Advisory Board Company. This definitely helped me out a lot as it provided me insight to things I might not have expected or thought of in the first place, and I encourage anyone to do the same!

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for The Advisory Group Company?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in working in healthcare consulting?   Answer Question
    • Please describe to me how you would describe the structure of SQL   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to study these majors while in college?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in March 2017.

Interview

This is the first company I have applied that had such bad experience. I am not based in D.C, and I applied, the next day got an email to ask me to fly to D.C to have an in person interview. I was kinda surprised, cuz usually I would get a phone interview first. But in the email, they asked me to fly to their headquarter to have the interview. So I wrote back to the HR right away, asking some questions like if they would reimburse the flight tickets, and how long the interview will take, who I'm gonna meet, things like that.

And on my job application, there's a question asking me if I need sponsorship in the future, I clicked "yes" (I am a foreign worker), so just to double check with the HR, I re-stated that in the email too, asking if they would sponsor foreign worker.

Then four days passed, I didn't get any reply from the HR, and she asked me to fly to D.C the following week, but she didn't even set up the interview with me. I sent her a follow up email but she didn't answer, then I called her office twice she also didn't answer. I was so confused cuz I was gonna buy flight tickets. Finally I had to call advisory board company's number and transferred to career department and left my msg. After 30 mins she replied my email and said sorry for the delayed reply but they don't sponsor foreign workers.

It is very disappointing since when they check my application they would have known I needed sponsorship, and they still offered me an interview then I assumed they would sponsor. And after she sent me email to invite me to the interview she just disappeared. It would be nice at least tell me right away that they made a mistake, they don't sponsor, etc. But instead just no response. No respect for people's time and bad management in hiring process.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The Interview process was frustrating because the recruiters did not respond to anything in a timely manner. Additionally, they sent me a resource before my first interview, when I did not need the resource until the final round (in-person), and hadn't looked at it since the first interview. That said, everyone I met or spoke to was kind and wanted to see you succeed. It just wasn't a good fit for me.