The Advisory Board Company Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

198 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about 5 days later asking to set up an interview with a recruiter. The interview was 20-30 min long. I received an email several hours after that interview stating that I had moved on to the second round, which consisted of a 90 min writing exercise and a 1 hour phone interview. I was told the phone interview would be both behavioral and case-based, and they even included a flyer on case interviews. Interestingly, when the phone interview began, the two individuals announced that it would be a 30 min behavioral interview (no case). Eight days after the interview and writing exercise, I was asked to come to the DC office for the 3rd round interview. This consisted of 3 back-to-back case interviews. The process was exhausting but the interviewers couldn't have been more pleasant. It was a very enjoyable experience. One week later, I received a call stating that I had been offered the position of Research Analyst (one level above Associate). The recruiter stated this was because of my writing sample and case interviews. I had also told them that I had another offer for the Analyst position at another consulting firm, which I think also influenced the offer. I ended up declining and accepting the other offer because of a salary difference, however I really enjoyed the experience with ABC.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in November 2016.

Interview

I learned about the opportunity from my university. I applied online and sent the recruiter an e-mail. She responded 2 weeks later, requesting a telephone screening. The telephone screening was 20 minutes long. She asked questions about salary range, prior research experience, and whether I was comfortable corresponding with a supervisor who was located overseas. She also asked if I was comfortable staying at the company for 2 years. (ABC wants a 2-year commitment from all employees.) It was a pretty straightforward telephone screening. She seemed very enthusiastic about the process and responded the following business day with next steps. The next steps would be that I would have a video conference with the hiring manager and a writing assessment.

I had the writing assessment a week and a half later. The writing assessment's prompt is set up like a case-style interview, so be prepared. Here's an example of how the questions were posed: What factors should a health system consider if they were to add a new facility? I believe ABC values someone who is well-versed in business; they want a sharp analytical thinker.

The third part of the interview was the video conference and here's where things became a bit unusual, based on others' account of their experience. Instead of asking case-style questions the interviewer expected me to have intimate knowledge on the company's business model, products, services, competitors, and the unique challenges that the company experiences. Here's an example the questions posed:

What is our business model?
    What makes us different from our competitors?
    Who are our competitors?
    From our members' perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
    If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
    If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?

In order to answer these questions, you'd have to do an INTENSE study of the company's investment relations report; have a thorough understanding of their market and their competitors. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• What is our business model?
      What makes us different from our competitors?
      Who are our competitors?
      From ABC's perspective, what are some pros and cons to our business model?
      If we were to expand our company, what are the opportunities and risks?
      If we were to hire you, how much support would you require?   2 Answers
    • Behavioral, Questions about the company, and General Interview Questions   Answer Question

Had another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

First round telephone interview was exactly how everyone else described it (i.e. research project, why your school, why advisory board, etc.). Second round was a 90 minute written exercise, case style, and a one hour behavioral/ case study. Make sure to send a follow up email for the written case exercise, because in my case the recruiter forgot to send me the prompt. Both written and verbal case studies were easier and more open ended than the cases seen in Case in Point. No math but certainly required structural thought. Both case study questions were framed as such: "what factors/information would you need when considering when..." Make sure to ask questions. That's where I think I failed. Nonetheless I thought I did quite well for never having done a case study interview before but I was informed the next day that they were no longer considering my candidacy. I was really disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Second round interview is half spent on behavioral questions/ one case study. Example of behavioral questions: ( I'm paraphrasing) "give me an example of when your research methodology led to erroneous results? What did you do about it?"   1 Answer

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email for an interview. Currently waiting for the response, but it seems like there is at least one more in-person interview after the initial screening.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview consisted of a phone screen with an HR representative followed by a writing sample screen and phone call with another member of the research department. HR representative was pleasant and friendly as was everyone else I interacted with during the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe any formal business writing you have completed. What was the format?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company.

Interview

The ABC recruiting process is very disorganized and vague. I was lucky to have an internal reference that put me through to a recruiter who got back to me within 24 hrs for interview availability. My interview was scheduled without any communication & I only heard that this was the case because I got an email asking if I had missed our time for that specific day. After a few emails back and forth I was able to reschedule the error on their part & went on to a phone interview. My interviewer was disinterested and asked me questions that were irrelevant to the position. Overall the process was a disaster and extremely unprofessional.

Senior Analyst, Strategic Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in October 2016.

Interview

Was contacted 2 days after applying online on their website. They messed up my interview times, confusion between phone screen and in person (on campus interview season was happening at my school). Then it took them another week to sort the situation out. The phone interviewer was 5 min late to the scheduled time and did not apologize. The interview was brief and curt with almost no interaction and feedback from the HR interviewer. I felt like they didn't take my interview seriously and probably already filled their position but felt necessary to go through with the phone screen for the process.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a research project you were involved in. Tell me about your education experience.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through campus recruiting and sent them a copy of my resume. Later I was emailed with a response within two weeks for a first round behavioral interview on campus. Interview seemed very tailored to the person rather than their skill set (that was the vibe I got).

Interview Questions

• Describe to us an analytical project you've worked on and the challenges you had to figure out in order to succeed?

What skills do you feel you have are relevant to this position?

What is health care research and describe what we do?   1 Answer

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Very straight forward- asked about resume and research experience. Make sure to have a large research project in mind, specifically a qualitative research project. Also interested in why I am interested in health care, and why I picked my school

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Brief in person interview to go through my resume held on campus followed by two interviews held in the office. First was a basic case study followed by a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me one example where you showed your leadership skills?   Answer Question