The Advisory Board Company Research Associate Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2016

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about 5 days later asking to set up an interview with a recruiter. The interview was 20-30 min long. I received an email several hours after that interview stating that I had moved on to the second round, which consisted of a 90 min writing exercise and a 1 hour phone interview. I was told the phone interview would be both behavioral and case-based, and they even included a flyer on case interviews. Interestingly, when the phone interview began, the two individuals announced that it would be a 30 min behavioral interview (no case). Eight days after the interview and writing exercise, I was asked to come to the DC office for the 3rd round interview. This consisted of 3 back-to-back case interviews. The process was exhausting but the interviewers couldn't have been more pleasant. It was a very enjoyable experience. One week later, I received a call stating that I had been offered the position of Research Analyst (one level above Associate). The recruiter stated this was because of my writing sample and case interviews. I had also told them that I had another offer for the Analyst position at another consulting firm, which I think also influenced the offer. I ended up declining and accepting the other offer because of a salary difference, however I really enjoyed the experience with ABC.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Comfortable and clear, very easy to work with. Had a first round for HR, another one for a manager and then a writing test. The final round was a case on site.

Interview Questions

• Research, research, research. And always to go over who I am and why I'm interesting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview with a recruiter. The conversation lasted about 30 minutes and mainly involved answering behavioral questions, as well as explaining my interest in working at the company. As other reviews on this site have mentioned, be prepared to speak extensively about research experience. I was asked about that and had to explain everything from methodology, to findings, and limitations. A few weeks after my initial interview, I was contacted for a second phone interview with an employee at the company. This round involved completing a writing test, as well as discussing a case with the manager for the last 15 minutes of our 45 minute conversation. Prior to discussing the case, I was asked to speak about my research again, and to walk through my resume. The case was definitely challenging but the instructions I received were clear and the advice on this site definitely helped. I would read up on how to assess case questions prior to the interview--preparation is crucial!! Like other reviewers said, it can take up to a month to hear back in between rounds, so I am still waiting. I will update my review when I get a definitive yes or no, but for now I said I have not received an offer yet.

Overall the experience has been positive in terms of knowing what to expect and speaking with polite representatives from the company, but it definitely is one of the more difficult interview processes I have encountered thus far. I

Interview Questions

• Describe research you have conducted and explain your topic, methodology, findings, conclusions, and what you would have done differently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone interview

After applying online, they scheduled a phone interview. The total interview is about 15 minutes.
    Traditional and regular questions about your resume and past experience. They will ask for specific questions about the position you applied. Therefore, focusing on the specific skills related to the position is important.

Interview Questions

• Why the advisory board company?
      Did you do any research projects before?
      How did you deal with the research processes?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Average interview, long process, great learning experience. First interview was conducted via phone with a recruiter asking rote questions. Second interview was with a manager of the research team. Third interview is supposed to last at least three hours. Case interviews are a thing here, people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position as a research associate in the Expert Center. I was told by email that I was interviewing for a position as a senior analyst. They wanted me to do a more advanced position. It was exciting! The in person interview seemed OK. They just wanted me to walk them through my resume and provide a real life example of research I've done. I talked about a medical study I helped compile data for. A week later I got rejected from any position? It makes no sense and I am very frustrated. Why ask me to interview for a more advanced position and then reject me as being unqualified for it?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

I put in an application on their website and was contacted for a phone interview soon after. It was mostly fit questions and a question about a research project I've completed. After that they asked me if I would be interested in a research position. I said yes and then got the call for an interview on-site. I was interviewing for a research associate specifically with the Education Advisory Board. The original information they sent me to help prepare for their interview said I should expect a case interview. That was a little misleading. It was not the traditional case interview. Instead, it started with a writing exercise. The prompt I got asked me how a university should approach consolidating different academic programs. I was a little confused. Only when I reached the in-person interview did I realize they don't want you to case interview where you have an answer at the end, it should be more of a brainstorming session. In other words, they want you to put forward a few important things they would need to keep in mind as they try to complete this project and write it like the 5-paragraph expository essays of middle school. Maybe at the end put forward a hypothesis but no definitive conclusion is really necessary. Half of the in-person interview had this same format. The other half was a normal fit interview. They asked me again about the research project.

Interview Questions

• What is a research project you've completed? What was your strategy and what was your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

This normally starts via a web board. Sending in the application was relatively basic and I was contacted within a week. The interview was over the phone and lasted about 20-30 minutes. The interviewer was very friendly and had a broad range of questions that covered methodology and experience.

Interview Questions

• Being questioned on your methodology can be challenging if you don't have a concrete, prepared answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Was contacted by HR a couple days after submitting a resume online to schedule a phone interview. HR was very friendly, and conducted the usual interview screening: Tell me about your experiences and how it ties to the position; why you are interested in ADB and the position, etc. Was very prepared and the interview seemed to go over smoothly, however I was emailed later on in the week with a rejection. There were probably more qualified people.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about your university or post-graduate university?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was straight forward. A lot of the advice on here will come in handy. Interviewer questions mainly about my research experience, interest in health care, and university choice. I was asked about my interest in another department and told my credentials would be passed along to them too. Sent a follow-up email after no response after three weeks and didn't hear back.