The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.8

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

After I applied online through the company's career page, I was contacted two days later by a company representative. She asked for my availability for a 1st round phone interview within the next two weeks. After, we set a date about 1 week and a half after initial contact. The reviews of the phone interviews, here on glassdoor, prepared me for the interview style which is quick and straightforward. We spent about 25-30 minutes on the phone and the interviewer said that I would be contacted 5-10 business days after the recruiting team deliberated to be informed whether I move on to second round interviews. The interviewer was polite and did not spend a lot of time giving me feedback on my answers and moved on to the next answers which I think is the style of the interview.

Python Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about 1.5 months from start to finish. I was applying as a remote candidate and the process was phone screen with HR representative, technical interview with member of dev team via GoToMeeting, in-person interviews with 2 senior members of dev team and a senior project manager. Between each stage of the process it took 1-2 weeks for them to get back to me, but once I was moved on to the next stage then it only took between a few hours and a couple days to schedule the next interview. During the second round of interviews the person who I ended up meeting with was not the person the HR rep told me I would be meeting with. The company flew me down to DC for the in-person interviews and put me up in a hotel and reimbursed for food. Interviews were scheduled for 1.5 hrs but took 2. Ended up getting a free afternoon to hang around DC.

The in-person technical interview was disorganized. I met with 2 developers at the same time. When presented with a technical problem I started asking questions in order to nail down some details and get the scope of the problem. The 2 developers interviewing me had conflicting answers to my questions and had to talk among themselves for a few minutes to determine what the problem actually was. As I continued asking questions and repeating questions in order to make sure we were all on the same page, I continued to get different answers that would change my course of action. Overall this was the most disorganized and ill-prepared part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 potentially infinite streams of key, value pairs where the keys are integers and are always greater than or equal to the previous key in the stream, write an algorithm to read from the streams and place the keys into 4 buckets where:
      - bucket 1 contains keys only in stream 1
      - bucket 2 contains keys only in stream 2
      - bucket 3 contains keys in both streams and where values are equal
      - bucket 4 contains keys in both stream but values are not equal
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through an internal employee referral. The entire interview process took two weeks.

A member of their Career Management Team reached out a few days after I applied for a position through their application portal, and a phone screen was arranged for the following week. The phone screen consisted of mainly behavioral questions, and the person interviewing me probed a couple of items on resume. My second round phone interview was scheduled a few days after the initial phone screen, this time with a member of the team that I was interviewing for. I was asked to do an Excel assessment before the second-round interview, which I did under a set time period the day before the interview itself. The questions that were asked during the second round phone interview were mainly behavioral and skills-based.

I was then invited to an third round in-person interview the following week at their DC office; this consisted of two one-hour interviews. The first interview was part behavioral, but mostly a technical/skills-based interview. I was quizzed about my knowledge of data files and data structures via a theoretical scenario. The second interview was with the head of the team that I was interviewing for the position with, and that consisted of behavioral questions followed by a case-style interview.

While I am disappointed that I did not receive an offer, the entire interview process was smooth the entire way, and I had a very positive experience every step of the way. The Career Management team was always in touch with me and and were very transparent about where I was in the interviewing process. And most surprisingly, among all interviews I've done with multiple organizations, this was a very expeditious process I've been in from start to finish. I am very impressed by how this was all handled (even if the outcome wasn't what I wanted), and I look forward to future opportunities with them in the near future!

P.S. Looking over the reviews of interviews from both successful and unsuccessful applicants here on Glassdoor has helped prepare me for what to expect during the interview process at The Advisory Board Company. This definitely helped me out a lot as it provided me insight to things I might not have expected or thought of in the first place, and I encourage anyone to do the same!

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for The Advisory Group Company?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in working in healthcare consulting?   Answer Question
    • Please describe to me how you would describe the structure of SQL   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to study these majors while in college?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Received email shortly after applying and set up 30 minute phone call with general questions; walked through details on resume and then questions about why I was interested in the company and said they would contact within the week

Junior QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed for a Sr.QA Engineer position after the first Hr round i was been told my profile is been re-consider for a Jr.QA Analyst position.

First round Tech Round normal questions answered all of them but unfortunately might be the interviewer didn't like it

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer
    • Manual Testing or Automation
      (I said any they follow Manual)
      1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an HR screening, followed by a one hour phone call with a senior consultant (behavior and case). The phone call was great, the interviewer was excited to be talking to me and was clearly prepared for the case we did. Final rounds were three back to back interviews at the DC office. Unfortunately the managers and executives were clearly not as enthusiastic, intellectual or passionate about the work that they do. The firm is filled with incredibly intellectual, driven and smart people who want to make a difference with the work that they do. I did not get the same vibe from management.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: why your major? Tell me about your research, why is it important?   Answer Question

Strategic Accounts Coordinator Interview

Application

Interview

I first had a 20min phone interview with a recruiter. She was non-engaging and spoke in a monotone voice so I didn't think it went well. But I did get called in for a in-person interview with two people from the department (30min each). The second interview, my interviewer seemed really uninterested and then left without letting me know whether or not they would follow up. I didn't get to see the office or anything... I thought that was kind of weird.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions, why you want to work there, etc.   Answer Question

Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Took approx. 6 weeks. Got an email to set up a call with HR which lasted for half an hour. General behavioral questions and a run down of the Resume. Got an email next day for a technical phone interview. The technical phone interview lasted for half an hour and consisted of discussion regarding the job role, requirement and how well I understood the role. Received an email after 3 days for in-person interviews at the DC office. I had four half an hour each, back to back interviews with different individuals. First one was more of behavioral and couple of case scenario based interview. The second and third interview was with future colleagues and comprised of general behavioral and job-related question regarding the expected roles and how I was a fit for it. The fourth and the last interview was with a Senior Directed who looked to be in a state of rush and did some cross questioning. All the interviews went really smooth. But unfortunately, no offer.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

I went through maybe 6-8 group or individual interviews with multiple departments, none of which for positions I actually applied for. Wasn't really given ample time to prepare for each department, since they weren't the positions I applied for. All the interviewers were really young - under 30. I had one or two second round interviews I think, but did not pass. Interviews were pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• If you could have changed one thing about the college you went to, what would you change? Tell us about your previous experiences/walk me through your resume. How do you work under stress? What do you do to stay organized?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview was fairly basic. The interviewer called me about an hour early. We talked about my background and the company. She seemed impressed with my back ground, but also gave off the vibe that it did not align with their company.

Interview Questions

• What is an instance in which you took a situation that was out of your control and made it yours   Answer Question