The Advisory Board Company Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.8

479 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

There were multiple rounds to the process: these included a first-round 30 minute behavioral interview, a 90 minute writing exercise, an hour-long phone case interview, then 3 final round in-person interviews, each one hour long.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

You will meet with multiple low-level Managers who will sit you down and make it seem like the job is something it is not. Remember, you will just be a tele-marketer.

Web Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

30 min phone interview with HR staff member, pleasant, friendly. Was helpful with answering questions. I applied for 2 positions and she was more familiar with one of them so she focused mostly on that position.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   1 Answer

Analyst, Health Care Strategic Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

First round: standard behavioral and getting to know you questions. Second round: research day in DC, 2 case interviews followed by a third of you did well. The cases were very health care focused, be sure to be well versed in hospital/health systems related factors to consider.

Interview Questions

• Case about what factors to consider when closing a clinic at a hospital.
      All very health care focused   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about 5 days later asking to set up an interview with a recruiter. The interview was 20-30 min long. I received an email several hours after that interview stating that I had moved on to the second round, which consisted of a 90 min writing exercise and a 1 hour phone interview. I was told the phone interview would be both behavioral and case-based, and they even included a flyer on case interviews. Interestingly, when the phone interview began, the two individuals announced that it would be a 30 min behavioral interview (no case). Eight days after the interview and writing exercise, I was asked to come to the DC office for the 3rd round interview. This consisted of 3 back-to-back case interviews. The process was exhausting but the interviewers couldn't have been more pleasant. It was a very enjoyable experience. One week later, I received a call stating that I had been offered the position of Research Analyst (one level above Associate). The recruiter stated this was because of my writing sample and case interviews. I had also told them that I had another offer for the Analyst position at another consulting firm, which I think also influenced the offer. I ended up declining and accepting the other offer because of a salary difference, however I really enjoyed the experience with ABC.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

First round telephone interview was exactly how everyone else described it (i.e. research project, why your school, why advisory board, etc.). Second round was a 90 minute written exercise, case style, and a one hour behavioral/ case study. Make sure to send a follow up email for the written case exercise, because in my case the recruiter forgot to send me the prompt. Both written and verbal case studies were easier and more open ended than the cases seen in Case in Point. No math but certainly required structural thought. Both case study questions were framed as such: "what factors/information would you need when considering when..." Make sure to ask questions. That's where I think I failed. Nonetheless I thought I did quite well for never having done a case study interview before but I was informed the next day that they were no longer considering my candidacy. I was really disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Second round interview is half spent on behavioral questions/ one case study. Example of behavioral questions: ( I'm paraphrasing) "give me an example of when your research methodology led to erroneous results? What did you do about it?"   1 Answer

Senior Analyst, Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I moved fairly quickly through the interview process. I had a short phone screen with HR (about 25 minutes). After one day I was told i had advanced to the next step. HR was kind, but even though I was immediately notified i would move on to the next interview, that interview wasn't scheduled for about 2 weeks, and I thought the company had actually lost interest. My 2nd round interview was also over the phone, but with a "Principal". I was VERY taken aback by the case study interview method. I haven't done an interview in years and I'd never had this type of interview. Although usually, I'm a very good interviewer, this particular one had me on edge. The Principal helped me to walk through the steps I should be taking, but by the middle of the interview she seemed very annoyed and it definitely affected my confidence. She became short and impatient. At one point I had to estimate the rate of hospitals per people in a city. I used (Kansas City), she cut me off and told me to use a city I actually knew.I explained to her that, although I lived in D.C. my hometown was actually Kansas City.

At one point she asked me about the population of the United States (we needed this for the ratio), but I didn't know it. I said let's just say its 600 million (ok it was a bad guess). While the exact population wasn't necessary to create a ratio for this hypothetical situation, it didn't help my confidence when she dissapointingly asked "you don't know the population of the United States?" The interview became super stressful and I know I did not perform well under the pressure. I felt like a complete idiot by the end of the interview, and I knew it went bad because she ended the conversation with "goodbye." Further, when I asked my question at the end, nervously, she acted like it was the dumbest question she had ever heard. (The question I asked was: "What are some of the main challenges in this role?". Confused, she mockingly repeated "what are the challenges?" and went on to explain that she didn't understand my question. And went on to tell me this is what it takes to be successful: she listed several attributes, making it was clear she didn't think that I had.

It sucks because I actually thought working through the case was fun, and because Im highly analytical, I think I would have really enjoyed the work they do. But at the end of the day, that maybe wasn't an environment I could have thrived in. Not if there are people there that treat you like that.
    Maybe the interviewer was just having a bad day. DO NOT let this review dissuade you. The ABC is actually doing very cool work in the healthcare/education fields (acquiring startups etc.). I encourage you to try your best but PRACTICE the case study interview, maybe even at a company you're not interested in.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the ratio of hospitals per person in the United States?   Answer Question

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email for an interview. Currently waiting for the response, but it seems like there is at least one more in-person interview after the initial screening.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at The Advisory Board Company (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen, two phone interviews, then I was flown to DC for an in person interview. The in person included a presentation, a writing exercise, and 30 minute interviews with 5 different people that I would be working directly with. The interviews were relatively easy, just your basic behavioral questions and them getting a feel if you would fit in with their team. Slightly intimidating going into it knowing everything that would be done that day. But they tell you in advance via email what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you XYZ?
      What is your leadership style?
      Why ABC?
      Why this position?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Application

Interview

My first interview was rescheduled at the last minute which was a bit frustrating. The second went well but it felt like the interviewer was simply reading from a list of questions and not really listening to my responses.

Interview Questions

• Who would you invite to speak at your college commencement?
      Why did you pick your college?   Answer Question