The Aerospace Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Digital Signal Processing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Started with a short tour around some of the campus, saw part of the library and some of the labs.

The first part of the real interview was a 15-30 minute powerpoint presentation I gave about my academic experience and a technical discussion of some projects I've worked on in the past.
    I presented to 7 or so people, some associates and some managers.
    They asked some detailed technical questions, so it'll really show if you don't know your projects very well.
    All in all, the presentation isn't bad if you don't get too nervous about speaking in front of people.

Next section of the interview process was to do one-on-one interviews with 5 of the people there for the presentation. Each interview was 15-20 minutes, and consisted of:
    a few further questions about your experience and/or past projects; 1-3 technical questions, all dealing with communications systems theory (statistics and processes dealing with digital signal transmission/reception/modulation/demodulation).
    Some of the questions were straightforward, others took a few minutes to think through.
    I just explained my thought process when approaching the problem, and either got to a solution or worked in the right direction based on my explanations.

The final section of the interview was a description of further details about the company by a couple of the managers (work schedule, day-to-day, what kinds of projects, work atmosphere, etc.).

Interview Questions

• One section of the interview process was to do one-on-one interviews with 5 of the people there for the presentation. Each interview was 15-20 minutes, and consisted of:
      a few further questions about your experience and/or past projects; 1-3 technical questions, all dealing with communications systems theory (statistics and processes dealing with analog and digital signal transmission/reception).
      Most of the questions dealt with encoding/decoding of a digital signal (constellation points, noise, correlation, signal-to-noise ratio).   1 Answer

Associate Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the manager of the department that hired me for a very informal phone interview, it took about 45 minutes. He mainly asked me about my past project experience(s), and then explained what they were currently working on, and we chatted about any cross correlations. He asked a few behavioral questions, one of the ones they seemed to hammer was "Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?" It was a pleasant experience, not stressful at all. After we talked, he said that they would fly me out for an in person interview. So they flew me out, rented me a car, and put me up in a hotel room for the night.
    The next day interview lasted all day, and consisted of different parts. I got there at about 8 AM. First I had a short, half hour interview with a lady from HR. She was very nice and pleasant, and once again asked me where I saw myself in 5-10 years. The other major questions were what I was looking for in terms of salary, and also what my personal hobbies were. Aerospace seems to be very interested in who you are as a person (a huge plus imo, as I have been to interviews at other aerospace companies that were far less cordial or friendly). Then I went to the department I would be working for and met with various people from it, including the big boss, my immediate manager, and most of the staff. The whole process was very informal. They were mainly interested in my major projects through college and grad. school (programming, laboratory, group), and how those projects related to what they did there. Each interview was with a different person one to one, and was 15-30 minutes long. I got a tour of the facilities, and mainly just discussed how I could fit in and help the projects they had going on. I left at around 4:30PM to catch my plane back. Overall it was a very positive experience. They even paid for my lunch. Only advice I will give is to just make sure to come off as professional at all times. I.e. don't use smiley faces or internet meme's (lol) in your communications, dress to impress, and have a reserved, polite, but interested air about you, but this should be self-evident. They are the most laid back of the aerospace companies I have visited, but you can tell they take what they do very seriously, and they have a commitment to doing it well, so they will expect that same ethic in you.
    After the interview they let me know that I was one of the top competitors for the position via email. After that, It took around a month and a half to finally receive an offer. From first contact to acceptance was around 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe your past projects. Include mathematical detail where necessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I actually felt that the initial offer was pretty fair for what the position entails.

Associate Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The job interview process was very straight forward. I was initially contacted from the company through a career recruiter. There were no difficult parts of the interview throughout the entire hiring process. It may have helped that I already knew a number of people inside the company who were working on similiar projects.

Interview Questions

• There were no curve-ball questions thrown at me. The process was very straight forward.   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I was contacted quite shortly after I submitted the application (really fast considering the announcement was online for a long time). Consisted of 2 meetings - one with HR and one with an audit manager. Prior to the interview, I was requested to fill out a lot of paperwork and bring it with me.

After the interview, I received no response. I called the HR rep who interviewed me almost 2 months after the interview to find out my status. When I spoke with her on the phone, she seemed surprised that I would need confirmation of the results..... I quickly received an e-mail after that phone call. I realize the job market is tight, but I was not impressed by the response and thought it kind of lacking.

Advice to applicants - depending on the position applying for and HR rep you are dealing with, do not be afraid to follow-up as there is high chance it is not worth their time to let you know about results.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience. Honestly. it did not have a lot to do with the auditing skill-set. It was basically conversation. I kind of felt they brought me in because they already had someone in mind and needed to go through the hoops of interviewing other candidates to make the process seem competitive.

Wish I could provide more details, but again the interviews did not really focus on actual job skills and what the job entails. They did ask for writing samples, though I am not sure if they actually looked at them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

First interview with hiring manager. Second interview with a large panel of experts and customers. Might be an overkill but could be a process they are going through.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult problem you encountered and how did you solved it?   Answer Question

boring works. Might be ok if you're an old fart

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation in April 2014.

Interview

It was pretty simple. I applied and received a call the same day. After the interview with the recruiter, I talked to the hiring manager who asked a few simple questions.

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Submitted through employee referral. Had a phone interview a few weeks later, with several members of the department. Lots of questions about my experience with what they were working on, and some basic technical questions. A couple months later, they asked me for my address to send the offer letter to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Gave a presentation on a school project and then had multiple half-an-hour technical interviews with different managers throughout the day. The hiring manager said he would call me back and let me know his decision but never did.

Interview Questions

• Write code to check if parentheses are balanced correctly   Answer Question

Software Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and HR reached out to me 2 weeks later. They set me up with a project manager for an interview, and 3 weeks later I received an offer. Very easy process.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied in February, and got a phone interview in April. The interviewer was very nice and asked some required technical questions. The interview itself was pretty easy. I got an offer in 3 weeks. The documentation process took quite some time though (about a month) but I started in the middle of May. Overall, the management did a great job.

Interview Questions

• How do you test your software? List technologies and ways.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with both HR representative and manager for position. The interview was held over the phone and lasted approximately an hour and 15 minutes. I applied online through their portal and it took approximately a month to two months to hear back to schedule an interview. The interview was scheduled within the week of contact. I also had direct communication with the interviewers prior to interviewing.