The Art Institutes Adjunct Faculty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.4

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Nashville, TN) in June 2016.

Interview

There was no interview. I was downsized from a full time faculty position after 6 years. They offered me adjunct, and I took it while I look for a better job with a less devious company.

Other Interview Reviews for The Art Institutes

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Sacramento, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Present a lecture and previous students' portfolio and my own. Interviewed by the department chairman. I talked about my previous experience in teaching in other schools and my own experience in operating my own school. I also presented my students' portfolio and my own. It seemed the chairman was impressed.

Interview Questions

• What kind of classes can you teach   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I talked to the director of the program, asked about my education and past teaching experience.He asked me to prepare a presentation for the class that I was going to teach. I got very well prepared and got satisfactory results. He told me about the program and gave me information about the classes that I was going to teach. It was a very positive, pleasant interview and I was very content during my time working there.

Interview Questions

• They asked to do an example presentation, the whole faculty watched and approved me.   Answer Question

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The Art Institutes.

Interview

It is online process....one phone interview. It takes a long time to go through the process....months before you have the training and then several months before you have a course.

Interview Questions

• none....can take months before you have a course to teach   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Arlington, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume, received a call and interview on the phone, went to interview in person. Interview was fairly straight forward. They mainly wanted to know about my experience with teaching others and my professional credentials and knowledge in my field. There were no real test questions. Met both heads of the department.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Cincinnati, OH) in December 2013.

Interview

Submitted complete academic CV, 3-4 full page references, 3 page teaching philosophy, complete set of unofficial transcripts from all degrees, 25 samples of student design work and complete online portfolio of my personal work.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to present a sample lecture to a varied group of people who work in all different departments at the college   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is set hourly wage that is not negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Virginia Beach, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

Very simple and straightforward. Interviewed once and was basically hired on the spot. Was a bit leery because they seemed interested in having me teach classes that I didn't feel completely qualified for. I think their attitude was "You know more than the students." That seems unfair to the students who are paying a lot of money to go there.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (San Antonio, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

This was a phone interview with a teaching demo. I prepared a 20 minute lesson and gave it to Human Recourses, and the director Academic Director – Media, neither of them were fluent in my field of study so they didn’t ask any difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult they don't really care about the quality, expect to be a cog in their system.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Troy, MI) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone screen to start. The next step was a personal interview. In the final step I had to prepare and present a classroom lecture.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Art Institutes (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial review involved group "interview," where about 15 potential candidates were given an introductory speech and tour of the company. We introduced ourselves and filled out standard application paperwork, which was turned in with our printed resumes. Many candidates did not have traditional faculty backgrounds (lots of MATs or business professionals, very few MAs and MFAs). We then set up individual interview times. For the individual interviews, we gave a class presentation to the Dean and met briefly to discuss the position. Only continue if you know this is an entry-level, resume building job that will enable you to move on to something else. There is virtually no room to advance within the company.

Interview Questions

• "Is the pay rate typical for the area?"   1 Answer
    • "How would you handle a student who challenged your knowledge of a subject or who thought they didn't need to learn something?"   1 Answer
    • "How would you handle a student who thought you were too young / too old to teach?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations