The Boston Globe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Success Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taunton, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Taunton, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, In person interview, Shadow opportunity. It was a waste of my time especially since I had all the skills they were looking for and then more that would have benefitted them.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Boston Globe.

Interview

none. i called up the managing editor of the Globe, who i had met when he was having an interview in California at a magazine I worked for. His name was Lincoln Millstein. He sent my letter and story to the arts section, which sent it to Lynda Gorov in the New England section. Gorov was a tough editor, but i passed her test. She called me repeatedly for stories and indicted that i was young for her to date. These relationships happen in newsrooms. I liked her.

Interview Questions

• th e boston globe, unlike the New York Times and Reuters, did not ask me any questions. The globe loved my stories point-blank and the front page, Metro, and New England all fought over my stories.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through university program. Interviewer was nice and straightforward, we had a nice conversation about how the print news industry has changed in recent years and the availability of job security.

Interview Questions

• Talk more about previous work experience, Tell me something you are proud of.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Interview

HR people all over the place, unresponsive and dropped the ball several times. The Phone interview was very unprofessional-HR manager hurried & annoyed. Given wrong instructions for in person group interview so I was waiting on the opposite side of building. Group interview also signals that the company does not consider you or the position of great value. Male conducting group interview immediately engaged with the one male interviewee, discussing sports and even going so far as to offer to place him in other positions within the company.

Interview Questions

• Variety of rather detailed scenario questions that were almost embarrassing to answer in group setting.   Answer Question

Low pay and initial scheduling offered was not actually available.

Business Development and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

After submitting a resume and cover letter, I was called for an in person interview that lasted ~30 minutes. It was 2 on 1, and consisted of behavior and fit questions. The interviewers were very nice, yet formal, and were really looking to see my level of interest and commitment to the Globe's missions and values, as well as appropriate fit as far as skill sets.

Reporting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA).

Interview

Extensive application including essay, 10 clips, cover letter and resume. Only about 10 applicants out of ~700 are chosen to be interviewed. I interviewed first with the hiring manager, then with the three Metro editors.

Staff Photographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very brief, met with one person. It was very informal and off the cuff. The position was not necessarily going to be available, but they were taking applicants and talking with photographers. We reviewed my portfolio which seemed to please him.

Interview Questions

• What is your major influence as a photographer?   1 Answer

Electronic Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA).

Interview

I received a phone call and we scheduled for a first phone interview. That went well, so I came in for a second in-person interview. That went well, so I came in a third time for HR.

Interview Questions

• Would I be willing to work a the lower end range for benefits?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

For the final interview I met with five people individually that worked in the product and development teams at the company's headquarters. The interview length was around 3 hours. One person was from the product team and the rest were a mix of front-end and back-end developers. Some of the questions focused on what I previously worked on in terms of web development. There were a few technical questions covering jQuery, HTML5, Wordpress, and CSS.

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Mostly over the phone. They were already aware of me through previous connections, so it wasn't a traditional interview. I'm not really familiar with whatever the current interview protocol is, and with the company currently contracting, I'm not sure many interviews are happening at the moment.