The Department for Education (UK) Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

The Department for Education (UK) Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Department for Education (UK)

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very structured and basic competency interview by three people. Literally asked me to spell out the examples required from the Civil Service handbook. Quite short - 40 minutes. Not too taxing. If you prepare well from the handbook and follow the STAR structure, this is not a difficult interview. Although the interview itself was short, the entire process was very long. Job advertised in November, interview was almost two months later, final decision made four weeks after that.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK).

Interview

The interview included a 5 minute presentation followed by about 40 minutes of q&a. The interviewers clearly didn't want to be there from the outset. The interview was fine, but the interviewers said it would be up to two weeks before I would hear anything. It took over a month, with no explanation as to why it had taken so long. I was meant to have feedback and was told it would come after someone returned from leave, but never received it.

Interview Questions

• I asked them for some clarification on the remit of the roles, as the job spec specifically stated that as it was for new roles, the remit was being looked at but would likely include x/y/z.   1 Answer

Campaigns Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

3 sperate interviews where met different staff - line manager, colleagues and head of department. Pretty standard first interview followed by, presentation in the 2nd conducted over the phone. Nothing difficult and pretty standard questioning throughout. 3RD stage interview more with he'd of dept - more troublesome - was asked the same questions as before but this time the answers where not seemed to have been liked. Also seemed to want agency experience which is a bit late in the day to pick up on. Strange arbitrary process.

Interview Questions

• Examples where you had used particular skills   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Westminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (City of Westminster, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Standard civil service process - online tests including verbal and numerical, situational judgement etc.
    Then comes the interview with 2 or more people alternating between taking notes and writing as you speak. Be prepared for a long wait on results as this is not uncommon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you (insert sub-competency)   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (Nottingham, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

A panel of three people who seemed to be extremely middle class, not very friendly, and in fact, didn't even offer me the drink of water that I eventually spotted on the table. One panel member sat typing on his laptop and making little eye contact, and another told me that 'he wanted his money's worth' from the post holder. I should have walked out then. I have had several interviews with civil service organisations in recent months, and this was the worst. Cold, unfriendly, snobby, lots of mutual back-slapping, and I had made the decision I wouldn't work for them even if they offered it to me. Received a letter weeks later saying I hadn't got the post, with no offer of feedback. Given it's the Department of Education, I feel like returning it with red pen and 'could do better' written on it. The best part was sharing a taxi back with someone from their London office who was far more real and discussed football as well as the conference she'd been at. My interview took place in Nottingham although the post was in Sheffield. Lots of power dressing and posturing and not a lot of class diversity from what I could see.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions seemed more like academic enquiries than competence based, with panel members seeming to want me to entertain them intellectually, rather than explore my behaviours, skills and aptitude.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online by means of filling out a standard job application and submitting CV; interview with panel. Process was fairly long in comparison to others. Questions at interview quite academic.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example where you have engaged with stakeholders   Answer Question

VB.NET Developer (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (London, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied through Jobserve, a week later got a reply from recruiter. Was asked to fill a questionnaire like why I'm suitable for this position, my desired rate etc. Another week later I had the face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• It was typical competency-based interview with very few and rather simple technical questions thrown in.   1 Answer
    • Give us an example of a situation where you worked under pressure?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Department for Education (UK) (Sheffield, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

Straightforward competency based questions. The interview took place in their headquarters and was conducted by two of their senior employees in the economic analysis division. The interview started with describing yourself, and was then followed by some competency based questions. The next stage in the process was to ask any questions you had about the role or department.

Interview Questions

• Give examples of time in education or work when you've demonstrated different competencies   1 Answer