Kindercare Interview Question: The Director did voice concer... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Lead School-age Teacher/After School Teacher Interview Duluth, GA

The Director did voice concerns about my "youthful

" appearance and reserved/soft spoken manner (Which was all true). At the time (year before last), I was a 21-year old college student, but she commented that I look much younger and stated that in the past, very young and soft-spoken teachers have had trouble commanding respect from the older students in this age group. She made me aware of the challenges in the school-age classroom. " How would I handle disrespect from students or deal with school-age children that did not respect me as an adult? Or be able to manage my classroom and keep their attention without yelling?" Many of the students were in fact, my height and size.
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I responded that I have never encountered this issue before in my previous classroom settings, and I have always established clear boundaries between myself and the students, although I do befriend them and let them know that they can feel comfortable with me.

I use positive reinforcement in the classroom and never yell or demean the students. I use incentives for students to behave and speak with parents and management if I have any issues I cannot solve alone.

Interview Candidate on Feb 18, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.