The E.W. Scripps Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

2.7

Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (East Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Quick! Met with the Production Manager who asked questions about previous employers and my experience. He asked if I wanted to stay part-time or eventually move to full-time and was hired the next week.

Interview Questions

• If I minded the 30 minute commute for a part time position   1 Answer

Digital Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

The process started off with email from the Managing Editor with a questionnaire. Basically asking why do you want to work here, your skills, ideas on how they can improve their product, etc.

Replied with my answers and it took at least two weeks to schedule a phone interview with the ME. That's way too long. ME kept making excuses about being busy. I understand that. Things can get hectic in news and that's when you use those time management skills if you have them. The phone interview itself went well and my info was forwarded to HR.

HR phone interview went well.

Radio Promotions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Tucson, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially, I applied online. The process took a few weeks. I received a phone call about scheduling a phone interview. I went through three rounds of interviewing: phone, in-person, and phone.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be your biggest challenge pertaining to the job?   Answer Question
    • Name the four radio stations we represent.   Answer Question

Datga Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter who was nice and pleasant. I got a tour of their office before the interview. I was interviewed by the entire team which may be disconcerting to the slightly introverted. The manager emphasized their positive culture. A few days later I got a rejection, which was also nice. Many companies today don't bother to even reject you. During the interview I was asked many questions which I felt were not relevant to the position's description. It seems like that a person which data analyst experience wasn't in the room and instead was asked many non-core technical questions (vendor specific) that don't pertain to what a technical analysts core skills and the technologies and skills listed on the job posting. Of course a few questions may have been relevant. I wasn't asked about how to query and analyze Hadoop resident, what type of analysis I performed etc. I think if they had asked questions which were more tailored to the job description I would have performed better. Overall, I got a positive impression.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a hard and soft parse?   1 Answer

Digital Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Milwaukee, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

Was reached out via Linkedin for interview. First interview went great! Made it all the way through to 4 total interviews throughout one month. Called & emailed to follow up. Not one answer. Not even a "no, we went with someone else" email. After 4 interviews & 8 hours of my time! Very rude.

Than, 2 months later - reaches back out to interview for a new position.....emailed back to ask what it was for---- no response.....WOW.

Interview Questions

• Very basic sales questions and experience   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Baltimore, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a phone interview. General questions about myself and experience in the news business. They asked about my current salary during the phone interview, which I felt was innappropriate. I told them and they said there was no way they could match it. Basically the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• How long have you worked in the field, why are you in the field, why do you want to leave your company, salary requirements.   Answer Question

Promotions Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company.

Interview

The interview was very professional; however the interviewer was very kind and engaging. He listened attentively to me talk about myself, my strengths and weaknesses, my education, my experience, etc.

Digital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn giving me information about the different opportunities that Scripps had to offer for Digital focused careers. I scheduled a phone interview where the HR representative quickly assessed my skills and gave me suggestions about different positions to apply for in the company based off of my resume and prior experience.

Then I had a phone interview with the Director of Digital Insights where we talked about how my experience was applicable to the Digital Analytics position. Both phone interviews were very conversational and I appreciated that the interviewers were equally as interested in me as I was in the company.

After a few days I was called back by the original recruiter and invited to complete an in person interview. I met with 4 current employees, including the VP of Marketing and the Director of Digital Insights. Conversation was more skills based and was very casual. Interviewers were passionate about their work and answered all of my questions thoughtfully.

Overall, very positive experience and my best experience overall in terms of looking for a job.

Interview Questions

• Asked about prior experience and how that would apply to me excelling at the position. No questions like, "What is your favorite ice cream flavor" or things like that. Very straightforward interview that cut through the noise I believe a lot of other companies get caught up in.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews. Began by talking to a recruiter with HR over the phone. A few weeks later I interviewed with some people in management, again over the phone. Finally they interviewed me in person with the manager that I'd be working for directly. There was really nothing that surprised me about the process.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The E.W. Scripps Company.

Interview

Just talked with the GM. Very easy. It was a very comfortable setting where we just talked and I answered a few questions. The next interview was with a few of the department heads.