The Fresh Market Assistant Deli Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Fresh Market Assistant Deli Manager Interview Questions

1.6

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The very first thing they asked me after the universal "So, tell me about yourself..." was how much I wanted to make per hour. I was caught a bit off-guard, since I am used to this question being asked towards the end of an interview rather than the very beginning.

I told them I was completely open to negotiation, and asked them for the position's pay range. They said they couldn't provide that information. So I said that I had checked glassdoor.com, with the range given as $10-$15 and with an average of $12. I told the interviewer that I would therefore like to start the negotiation at $12 (given my experience and qualifications I did not want to look lacking in confidence by groveling for the very minimum pay, but I also didn't want to look greedy), but that I was fully willing to go lower than that if necessary.

The interviewer nodded and scribbled something down, asked me a very small number of rather curt questions, seemed completely disinterested in anything I had to say and ushered me out. I got an email in almost record time informing me that I was no longer in the running for the position.

I was called back a while later to interview for a lower clerk position, and the first thing the (different) interviewer told me was that I was automatically disqualified from the Assistant Manager position because the first interviewer wrote down that I had DEMANDED absolutely no less than $12 an hour, and that that was more than their maximum pay range for the position. When I explained that I had tried to ask for that specific store's pay range and was denied, and that glassdoor.com's posted pay range was the *only* thing I actually had to estimate from, I was admonished that glassdoor.com's statistics are skewed because the pay ranges differ by state, and that I shouldn't be going to a third party to get information on their company.

All in all, I felt it was a very convoluted, disrespectful, unfair and borderline hostile experience, and in hindsight, I am very, VERY glad they didn't hire me. I ended up getting a job at one of their main competitors, where I get paid a lot more, treated very kindly and fairly, *and* it's a company that has *much* higher ratings on glassdoor.com than The Fresh Market does! So I really can't complain, though I urge everybody to look at just how low this company's overall scores are on glassdoor.com compared to other grocery stores, and apply at your own risk......

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Fresh Market

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and called them 2 weeks after to check on my application. They schedule me an interview that day, did a one on one with the manager, 2 days later i got a called for a second interview with another manager, I got accepted for the job and started my background check, they said they would call once it came back ( it can take 3-10 business days). 6 days later I got called to come In and finish paper work and to find out when I can start .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They told me what I got paid based on my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Normal, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Normal, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

It is pretty sad to say, I was called by a manager for an interview on a particular day. However, I was still employed with another company so, I told him I was working but can come another day. He told me, that he would have to look into a rescheduled date and time. I called back because I never heard from the manager. I decided to leave my phone number but he took the unprofessionalism route by not returning my phone calls. So, my final decision is that I will never call, apply or shop for The Fresh Market. NEVER!!!!

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Lafayette, LA).

Interview

I was given a handbook to read and told there's alot of good information in it that I might want to read it. I was asked to start as soon as I signed my paperwork.

Interview Questions

• He asked me if I knew what kind of store fresh market was.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I told him how much money I wanted and I got it.

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

There were 2 initial interviews in one week before hiring. I was interviewed by two different managers. It was a clean and tiny office space where interview took place.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked were the obvious. Why do you want to work here? What can you bring to our company? When are you available ? Are you willing to go above and beyond? Are you willing to relocate if necessary ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They told me what they can pay me and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Lynchburg, VA).

Interview

It took them two weeks to call me to do an interview the interview was rather long and they asked alot of questions about my last jobs and responsibilities they seemed abit annoyed to even be there

Interview Questions

• how do you deal with stressful situations in a busy environment   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy and they seemed desperate to fill the position

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Atlanta, GA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from one of the Assistant Store Managers. I scheduled an interview with him for a few days later. I had originally applied for a full time bakery clerk. After the interview, he informed me that the position was part time. I declined. He went to speak to the Store Manager then returned with an offer for Deli Assistant Manager. I did a walk through with the Deli Manager a week later and started 2 weeks after that. For some reason it took my background check a while to come back.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions.
      (1) name a time that you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as far as pay.

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Rockville, MD) in January 2013.

Interview

Very informal, it compromised of a 1 time interview with the store manager. If you have more than 2 years experience you are pretty much hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i was offered 14, i got it bumped to 15.
    the cap for an assistant manager is 15,25 so if you get offered lower negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Louisville, KY) in December 2009.

Interview

Was very easy. Questions about experience.

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in March 2010.

Interview

I was taken aside, asked a few questions. The manager stared at me for a few minutes. And said I could go home.

Interview Questions

• What would you offer in this position?   1 Answer

I already worked in the company, and knew the position didn't come with a raise, but it did come with more work.