The Fresh Market Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.3

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then live interview with regional manager. Phone interview went great and was passed on immediately to 2nd interview. Regional manager went "unscripted" and asked no questions, more of a get to know me and talked a lot about the position, specific store needs and the company. I felt the interview went great and he said he would contact me and let me know the next day about his decision. No call came the next day. I called him back the following day around 2pm and he stated that the recruiter (the phone interview) was supposed to send me something and they had gone a different route. Very poor business ethics and a waste of my time.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Greensboro, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Completed 2 telephone interviews. Interviewers were very polite and mindful of time. I was given adequate time to present my knowledge, skills and abilities in a way that I felt best incorporated my personality. I felt the open-ended questions made the interview easier and less stressful. I felt positively about the company culture based on how the interview process was handled.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experience and how it relates to the position your applying for.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in January 2016.

Interview

the RDO interviewed me said I wasn't good enough to be a DM. I was a DM prior to the fresh market but that did not matter. I also have a masters degree, did not matter either. The interviewer went to junior college at best

Interview Questions

• How do you control payroll? How many hours can you work?   1 Answer

Bakery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in October 2015.

Interview

I called two days after submitting my application online and spoke with the hiring manager. She asked when I could come in for an interview and we scheduled the next day. They were busy when I came in and had to wait up front for about 10 min and then we went in back room for the interview and just some basic questions, they are big on customer satisfaction. Over all pretty easy

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had an upset customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Assistantn Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Raleigh, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call from the recruiter within 24 hours basic questions. Received an email to set up a face to face at store #20 Falls Of Neuse Rd Raleigh. Met with the District Manager and Store Manager we sat up front in the customer eating area. The District Manager and Store Manger were more interested in the young female customers walking in and out of the store than the interview with me. A young blond in a short skirt sat at a table adjacent to us eating a salad and they both would not stop staring at her it actually became uncomfortable. I knew at that point I would never work for a company when upper management was that unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Explain Diversity and Inclusion? How would you handle Diversity? What were the procedures that your previous company used to enforce diversity and give some examples? How did you handle Diversity in your previous job?   1 Answer

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The very first thing they asked me after the universal "So, tell me about yourself..." was how much I wanted to make per hour. I was caught a bit off-guard, since I am used to this question being asked towards the end of an interview rather than the very beginning.

I told them I was completely open to negotiation, and asked them for the position's pay range. They said they couldn't provide that information. So I said that I had checked glassdoor.com, with the range given as $10-$15 and with an average of $12. I told the interviewer that I would therefore like to start the negotiation at $12 (given my experience and qualifications I did not want to look lacking in confidence by groveling for the very minimum pay, but I also didn't want to look greedy), but that I was fully willing to go lower than that if necessary.

The interviewer nodded and scribbled something down, asked me a very small number of rather curt questions, seemed completely disinterested in anything I had to say and ushered me out. I got an email in almost record time informing me that I was no longer in the running for the position.

I was called back a while later to interview for a lower clerk position, and the first thing the (different) interviewer told me was that I was automatically disqualified from the Assistant Manager position because the first interviewer wrote down that I had DEMANDED absolutely no less than $12 an hour, and that that was more than their maximum pay range for the position. When I explained that I had tried to ask for that specific store's pay range and was denied, and that glassdoor.com's posted pay range was the *only* thing I actually had to estimate from, I was admonished that glassdoor.com's statistics are skewed because the pay ranges differ by state, and that I shouldn't be going to a third party to get information on their company.

All in all, I felt it was a very convoluted, disrespectful, unfair and borderline hostile experience, and in hindsight, I am very, VERY glad they didn't hire me. I ended up getting a job at one of their main competitors, where I get paid a lot more, treated very kindly and fairly, *and* it's a company that has *much* higher ratings on glassdoor.com than The Fresh Market does! So I really can't complain, though I urge everybody to look at just how low this company's overall scores are on glassdoor.com compared to other grocery stores, and apply at your own risk......

Assistant Front End Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Orlando, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Initally interviewed at a job fair with an existing interview appointment, went very well. Interview went well and was called for a second interview. Wages were never discussed at the first interview past what I was currently making and was I interested in discussing wages.

Interview Questions

• tell me about your duties as asst.front end manager in the firsh interview.

Second interview, "let's talk about money because this is usually a determining point- what kind of hourly wage are you expecting?"
      1 Answer

Assistant Front End Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The store manager called me for an interview two weeks after putting an application in online. The first interview they had me fill out new hire paperwork as he wanted to hire me. We discussed my qualifications for the position and where the company was headed. After about ten minutes he walked me around the store and then scheduled a second interview. This is where it goes downhill. He rescheduled several times and kept calling trying to offer me lower positions. so two weeks later I'm at interview two. I waited thirty minutes for the two of them to get together so we could interview. Interview two was the same as interview one...no hypothetical scenario questions or anything. The front end manager had me explain my experience THREE times. They said they'd call me back the following day and still haven't heard since.

Candy/Coffee Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Fayetteville, NC).

Interview

Went to the open interview at a local hotel, however I had a interview scheduled. After wandering around the hotel I finally found where the interviews were being held. I checked in and then went into a room and waited for my interviewer. Two minutes later I met my interviewer and went into another room where multiple interviews were being held. We sat down and talked for 20 to 30 mins about the description of the job, what to expect, when the store will be opening, my job experience and my availability. It was a smooth interview. The interviewer said that I will not know if I got the job or not until this coming week or next .. So hopefully I got it.

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Normal, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Normal, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

It is pretty sad to say, I was called by a manager for an interview on a particular day. However, I was still employed with another company so, I told him I was working but can come another day. He told me, that he would have to look into a rescheduled date and time. I called back because I never heard from the manager. I decided to leave my phone number but he took the unprofessionalism route by not returning my phone calls. So, my final decision is that I will never call, apply or shop for The Fresh Market. NEVER!!!!