The Hartford Interview Questions in Hartford, CT | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2017

2.8

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter about 10 days after my application. She gave me some information about the company and scheduled a phone interview with a senior data scientist for the following week. The phone call lasted about 30 minutes. I have a background in the Physical Sciences so I was asked to talk about my research in not too technical terms. I was also asked why I want to work in the insurance industry and then one more technical question about building a predictive model. I was given the opportunity to ask questions about the company and the type of work that they do and I feel I learned a lot from it. The recruiter gave me a phone call a few working days later to let me know they would not pursue my application any further and gave me good feedback.

Both of the people I spoke with were very nice and the screening wasn't hard. I think I busted it mostly because of my lack of experience with interviews (this was my first phone interview ever), leading to my response for the modelling question being not as structured and technical as it should have been. I also think I could have chosen a better model.

Interview Questions

• I was given a problem statement and was asked what type of model I would use, which independent variables, how I would validate the model etc.   Answer Question

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Interview

After applying, I received an email to complete an online assessment which took a good amount of time. Following the online assessment, I had an over the phone interview in which I was asked basic questions to determine whether I would receive the opportunity for an in person interview. My in person interview was very easygoing; I was interviewed by two employees who made the meeting very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you really had to multitask.   Answer Question
    • What one word would your previous employers use to describe you?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

This specific group needed a person to promote capital related analytics concepts within the company. I have worked in this field extensively so I have a deep understanding of its idiosyncrasies, and can also explain things to people of any level. I have done it at the regulatory level, as well as internally across many levels. These are all really ideas of optimization at desired hierarchy levels with various constraints. I do not think there are many people who understand this.

That day I met seven individuals. Some made a very good impression on me. But until the end I struggled trying to understand what exactly they wanted to accomplish by filling this position. To this moment I have doubts as to whether they have a good grasp of the concept and the benefits that go with it. I do not mean to belittle anyone, maybe this indicates a failure on my part. Almost a week after the interviews I was told by my HR contact that she wanted to give me some feedback. She called me the next day and gave me the news.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was in front of the manager and two other members of the team. They were friendly, interested in me, and explained very well how the team works. After the interview they performed a background check on me as well.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I knew about the insurance business, then asked more specific and technical questions to see how much I knew about it. Otherwise genuinely interested in my background.   Answer Question

Lead Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

Clear, quick and extensive. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, the hiring manager, the hiring manager's colleagues, 3 persons from the level below the hiring manager (and included one direct report), and the hiring manager's boss. The process was well-executed and gave me confidence in the position and the team.

Interview Questions

• Short and long term plans for the position; advancement plans; resolving a bad situation.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Windsor, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

The pay for this position is extremely low, approx $28000. I have managed a CSR team of approximately 60 staff members, so I know this role very well. I have been unemployed for awhile so I thought it would be a no brainier. But, the HR person told me my experience intimidated the hiring manager do there would be no interview. Truthfully, I probably would have not been happy doing this low level type of work for long and based on info on how they treat employees, not the company for me.

Interview Questions

• There was an online assessment for the CSR role. I was contacted directly by their HR dept & was told that my responses were 100% spot on. Most scenarios were basic math and scenarios that targeted behavior. Simple stuff.   1 Answer

Customer Care Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Windsor, CT) in May 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with the department manager and a team lead. It was a very easy and conversational interview. Both people made me feel comfortable and at ease. I was probably there for roughly forty minutes.

Interview Questions

• How do you show empathy to people that you don't know?   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted by HR after a week of posting the resume via email. 2nd week, spoke with HR about the role and my experience and background. Again, I was contacted by HR in 2nd week for interview availability with the Hiring Manager and the team. Met the Hiring Manager and the team in 3rd week of submitting the resume. During the interview, I was told that it would take about a month before a decision is made. In the 5th week, I was contacted by HR for again meeting the Hiring Manager. Met the Hiring Manager and was informed that I made it to the top candidate list and would need to go through a deep technical interview. In the 6th week, met few SME's for technical assessment. Finally, I was contacted by HR towards the beginning of the 8th week and offered the Role.

A little lengthy hiring process (in my opinion) but the HR was very responsive and prompt in responding to my emails.

Interview Questions

• My interview questions were related to my job role. But at no point in time I found the process or the interviewing team to be disrespectful.   Answer Question

Product Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online via talent acquisition portal. I was contacted within a month to schedule a phone interview. Following the phone interview screening, I was contacted in the next 3 days, to schedule an interview at the office. The logistics consisted of 4 back-to-back individual interviews, each taking about 45 minutes to 1 hour. A 15 minute break was allotted after the second interview. A week after, I was notified and offered the position.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Windsor, CT) in December 2015.

Interview

I had only one interview with a supervisor and a manager present. They are great people who are willing to talk about their own personal experiences and let you get an idea of how the company really works. They told me exactly what the job would entail, how to be successful and that it was okay to make mistakes. There weren't intimidating and weren't stuck up.

Interview Questions

• most difficult question was why I chose to apply to the hartford   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was no negotiation pahse