The Hartford Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Hartford Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.8

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Applied through indeed and got a call back a couple of days later. I had a telephone interview that was pleasant and was informed of job duties and responsibilities. I have to put this as one of my least stressful interviews I have ever had. The recruiters were very nice to speak with.

Disability Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Hartford (Sacramento, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a lay back interview on my university campus. About 10 questions related to customer service skills and working style. After she explained the position and duties, she wanted to know if it was what I am looking for. I said yes. Then she ask me to go on their website to submit my resume. However, when I got home to login to apply, the position was not posted. At that time, I had other interview, so I did not check again or contact with HR people.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Hartford in March 2017.

Interview

Week 1 - Applied online. Completed a 20 minute basic skills (math, logic, personality) assessment.

Week 3 - Contacted 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview began with the recruiter going into details about the position and ensuring you are still interested. Q&A began with "Tell me about yourself" which I started with my professional history and education. Note: Job requires a Bachelors in any area. When describing past positions, I did my research on what Insurance UW do, and pointed out my skills that I have gained that aligned with the position. You will then be asked typical STAR questions. Follow the format and tell engaging stories should suffice. Recruiter was very polite, and easy to talk to. Concluded phone interview with a salary discussion and again affirming my interest in moving forward. Recruiter stated I would definitely move forward.

Week 5: Two weeks later I was emailed to schedule an in person interview.

Week 6: Arrived about 15 minutes early. Very nice office, and friendly employees passing through. Atmosphere came across as professional, but laid back. Note: Still wear a suit (male and female), this is an insurance company so I would stick to the traditional attire.

Interview was very detailed. 2-One Hour interviews with 2 employees per interview. Various titles from Senior UW to Manager. Very similar to phone interview style, but much more STAR and resume questions. Shine by showing off your successes in school or work. Detailed responses. Come across as easy going, professional, and personable. Know highlights from the company history. Ask a minimum of 3-4 questions and solidify interest at the end.

Week 8: Offer made 2 weeks later. Accepted. Began BG check (completed in a week).

Salary Note: Recent Grads will probably come in at the lower end of the salary spectrum. Those with a few years of experience will more than likely receive a similar salary to their most recent position.

Overall, a very easy (if prepared) and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when.. What did you do, and what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be an Underwriter/work for The Hartford?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Intended to negotiate based on salary expectations from phone interview, but ended up being offered the amount I had set at the minimum I'd accept.

Small Commercial Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Hartford (Charlotte, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process is very intense. You have the 2 person panel interview (managers) and if you make it through that, you'll interview with 2 more people (directors). This was such a waste of my time and preparation. I pray they find the robot they're looking for.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions, but more intense. It seemed like my best answers were never good enough. They want you to jump through hoops, knowing you can do the job regardless of how an interview goes. This is a trainee position, that you'll be trained for lol.   Answer Question
    • How would your manager describe you?
      Why would you be a good fit?
      What challenges do you forsee?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years with the company?   Answer Question

Small Commecial Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Filled out an online application. Almost a month later received an e-mail to complete an assessment. After the assessment received a call to schedule a phone interview for the following day.

The assessment was not difficult. There were vocabulary questions, sentence structure, basic math and personality based questions.

The phone interview is where everything went left. The recruiter called late. No big deal things happen. She threw some incomplete information at me about the position. She reiterated that the training would be 14 weeks, and asked me more than once if that was ok. She kept stressing that this was "the end of the process and I was one of the last people she was calling". She sounded incredelous when she asked me about the school where I got my Bachelors degree (A nontraditional university with the same accreditation as a traditional university). She cut me off while I was answering questions. While I answered questions there was complete silence, not even typing. The interview lasted a little under 30 minutes. She ended the interview with a reminder that this was the end of the process and they wanted to be done with everything in the next couple of days.

The phone interview came across like I was someone that needed to be checked off a list. This did not feel like a recruitment effort but more like a "cleaning out the files" necessity. If I did not meet the criteria or I wasn't a candidate they wanted to consider that would have been fine. Send the auto rejection e-mail and we can all move on. But don't take a candidate through the process to meet quota or because of whatever other unnecessary policy you have in place.

After the phone interview I went on the website to withdraw my application but they don't have that option.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you built a relationship with a customer?

Tell me about a time you helped streamline a process?

What do you know about underwriting?   Answer Question

I declined because of the recruiting process. It does not take a company 30 days to call you for an interview or to schedule you for an assessment. Companies know who they want to hire. If I were late for an interview I would be looked down upon, the recruiter called late. She was disinterested and seemed to only call so she could eliminate me. I have learned that the way a company treats you coming in the door is the way they will continue to treat you. I was already being treated like a number/task. So before an offer could be made I made the decision to move on.

Enrollment Manager Group Benefits Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Hartford in February 2017.

Interview

Submitted an online application. About a week later, got a request for a phone interview from HR. Had screening HR interview and then received response about a week later.

Assistant Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Pleasant and well organized. Started with a phone interview from HR recruiter and then a few in person interviews with folks within the company from different functional departments. Overall was a well run process.

Accepted another postion

Customer Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied on company website.
    Phone interview which lasted about 20 min.
    In person interview with 11 managers. Did speed dating style and had 90 seconds to answer each question. It was actually pretty fun. After they had go into a conference room and discuss their benefits and start date. They offered me the position the very next day

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions and behavioral questions. Similar to the phone interview   Answer Question

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter about 10 days after my application. She gave me some information about the company and scheduled a phone interview with a senior data scientist for the following week. The phone call lasted about 30 minutes. I have a background in the Physical Sciences so I was asked to talk about my research in not too technical terms. I was also asked why I want to work in the insurance industry and then one more technical question about building a predictive model. I was given the opportunity to ask questions about the company and the type of work that they do and I feel I learned a lot from it. The recruiter gave me a phone call a few working days later to let me know they would not pursue my application any further and gave me good feedback.

Both of the people I spoke with were very nice and the screening wasn't hard. I think I busted it mostly because of my lack of experience with interviews (this was my first phone interview ever), leading to my response for the modelling question being not as structured and technical as it should have been. I also think I could have chosen a better model.

Interview Questions

• I was given a problem statement and was asked what type of model I would use, which independent variables, how I would validate the model etc.   Answer Question

Associate Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Hartford (Maitland, FL).

Interview

Applied in 2006, i was given a relatively easy verbal and arithmetic exam. Should not be a problem for any individual to pass that has a college degree. This was followed up with a interview with the Head of the underwriting department. Interview was very relaxed. All behavioral questions, nothing technical was asked. Even spent a quarter of the time talking about hobbies and regular cocktail type conversations. Overall very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an Underwriter as your first job out of college?   1 Answer