The Hartford Underwriter Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Hartford Underwriter Trainee Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Hartford in March 2017.

Interview

Week 1 - Applied online. Completed a 20 minute basic skills (math, logic, personality) assessment.

Week 3 - Contacted 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview began with the recruiter going into details about the position and ensuring you are still interested. Q&A began with "Tell me about yourself" which I started with my professional history and education. Note: Job requires a Bachelors in any area. When describing past positions, I did my research on what Insurance UW do, and pointed out my skills that I have gained that aligned with the position. You will then be asked typical STAR questions. Follow the format and tell engaging stories should suffice. Recruiter was very polite, and easy to talk to. Concluded phone interview with a salary discussion and again affirming my interest in moving forward. Recruiter stated I would definitely move forward.

Week 5: Two weeks later I was emailed to schedule an in person interview.

Week 6: Arrived about 15 minutes early. Very nice office, and friendly employees passing through. Atmosphere came across as professional, but laid back. Note: Still wear a suit (male and female), this is an insurance company so I would stick to the traditional attire.

Interview was very detailed. 2-One Hour interviews with 2 employees per interview. Various titles from Senior UW to Manager. Very similar to phone interview style, but much more STAR and resume questions. Shine by showing off your successes in school or work. Detailed responses. Come across as easy going, professional, and personable. Know highlights from the company history. Ask a minimum of 3-4 questions and solidify interest at the end.

Week 8: Offer made 2 weeks later. Accepted. Began BG check (completed in a week).

Salary Note: Recent Grads will probably come in at the lower end of the salary spectrum. Those with a few years of experience will more than likely receive a similar salary to their most recent position.

Overall, a very easy (if prepared) and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   1 Answer
  • Tell me about a time when.. What did you do, and what was the outcome.   1 Answer
  • Why do you want to be an Underwriter/work for The Hartford?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Intended to negotiate based on salary expectations from phone interview, but ended up being offered the amount I had set at the minimum I'd accept.

Other Interview Reviews for The Hartford

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Email from recruiter two months after I applied for job asking me to take one of the last couple of interviews left for the job
    Brief phone interview with the recruiter day of in person interview a few hours earlier
    Great security at the door of person interview
    Building was in nice condition
    Was interviewed by two people in suits who then asked me if I could hold on an interview with two other people.
    The next two interviewers came in with jeans On
    Two days later I received a call from the recruiter with the offer

Interview Questions

• Time you had to decline something and how the person took it   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for 6000 more than what I got and they counter offered with a $5000 raise after I completed the three-month training program

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hartford, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Hartford (New Hartford, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The process began with a phone interview, which consisted of many behavioral interview questions (i.e. "Describe a time when...). It took about 25 minutes. She then informed me she would move me to the next round. Two weeks later, I went to a 2:1 interview and also took a long assessment test.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you broke a rule/law because you thought it was justified. What was it, and how did you justify it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at The Hartford (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

I conducted two phone interviews, one with a recrutiter and one with senior recrutiter. I was than scheuled to complete a skills assestment test that consisted of 145 questions. Very intentised but took an hour and half to complete. After compelting the test I was schueled for an one on one interview. I would say the interview was informal. The interviewer told to to relax and asked questions that not only homed in on the skills thatI possess but to also gain a prosective on my personality. He was very polite and not to authoritative or overbearing. I would say one of the most plesant interviewing experinces that I have ever had. The office is very organized and neat very resepectable work space. After the interview I had one final phone interview with the underwriting VP. After completing that interview my reference were check and my background was ran and I was presented with and offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not feel a need to negotiate the offer was more that what I expected. Very considerate of prior work exprerience.