The Hershey Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Hershey Company Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Ocala, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Spoke with a rep at our college career fair. Scheduled a 1:1 interview for the following day. Was invited to ride along with a rep two weeks after. The initial interview was pretty easy; talked about my resume and answered 3 behavioral questions with the STAR method. The shadow day was very informative, showed you exactly what you would be doing on a daily basis. Was very thankful to have experienced this, but the job just wasn't right for me

Interview Questions

• Describe two things on your resume that you're most proud of
      Describe a time when you successfully influenced someone
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview

The interview process took about a month and a half. It was rigorious. They really want to be sure you're a good fit for the position before they offer you a job. It's not like the average process. They want you to have a feel for what you'll be doing before you accept the role. I initally applied online. I was called a few days later for a phone interview. After the phone interview I was scheduled for a web-cam interview. It was kind of weird. You use your web-cam and answer pre-recorded STAR quesiton. You have 3 minutes to formulate a response, and you don't have the opportunity to re-record your responses. So take a second formulate and answer and then respond. Next, I was scheduled for a field day to shadow someone currently doing the job I was appliying for. it was a lot of fun. I got a chance to see what the job entailed first-hand. Just be enthusiastic, ask questions, just be yourself. If this is the job for you you'll know it during the field day. Next up was a phone interview with the District Sales Manager, she asked regular STAR question similar to the web-cam interview and the phone interview. Afterwards, she said the next step was an interview with her boss. I didn't have to do that one (thank God), and she called to tell me the job was mine pending a background check. I really hope this helps someone. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. It's a long process, and there was days where I wondered what was next. Preperation is key. I researched tons of STAR questions and had notes ready for the different questions I could answer. Just be yourself and be patient.

Interview Questions

• Why Hershey? Give me a time when you negotiated with someone. Give me a time when you had conflicting priorities. Tell me about a time when you were able to gain commitment to significantly their use of products. Tell me about a time you had a challenging sale.   Answer Question

IT Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgantown, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Morgantown, WV) in January 2016.

Interview

A recruiter pre-screened the interview to make sure I had relevant experience. Then the hiring managers scheduled a skpe interview with me. The questions were mainly about my past experiences and what I knew about the hersey company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company in December 2015.

Interview

the interview process was LONG! That is no exaggeration. I was required to complete a total of 5 interviews.

first was a phone screen
    second was a video one-sided interview
    third was the field day
    fourth was a video interview with a manager
    fifth was an interview with another area manager

although the process was long, it was worth it. they want someone flexible, and willing to RELOCATE. if you are not open to relocation, than this is NOT the job for you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation. $39,500 base with overtime.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview

Interviewed in a group with several members of The Hershey Company. Very intimidating atmosphere where interviewee is treated just the same as any other full time employee that would be interviewing. Your work experience, interest in numbers, and personality are key.

Interview Questions

• Analyze this piece of data and tell me what you see. (had data available)   Answer Question

RSR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Austin, TX).

Interview

It's a long process but worth it! You are working to get the product bought by consumers as quickly and as much as possible. Phone screen, automated video interview, field day, district manager, sales director. Know how to answer in STAR format. You better know all about the Milton Hershey School and the relationship this company has with it. Be honest and be yourself and be patient. This process took a lonnnnng time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The will work with you to help make relocating easy

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Hershey, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview discussing the job and reviewing resume. I was brought on site for a 3 hour interview with 4 separate managers. Interview was STAR based questions with multiple parts to each question. Each interviewer had their own packets of questions but a lot of them overlapped among the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Define business acumen.
      Describe a time you were innovative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Mobile, AL).

Interview

The interview was 4 steps. 1) Screening interview - This was on the phone 2) video interview- asks you questions and you can't pause to answer. They have a pre-recorded question, and then they count down "3,2,1.." and then you have (I think) 3 minutes to answer. My laptop kept making my video lag. So I couldn't review my responses. Not that this matters, because you cannot edit anything you say. 3) Field day - I didn't make it past this step. I was overwhelmed by what the job really was. In my territory, it seems as though an RSR is nothing more that a merchandiser. The Rep who led my field day was sexist. Making remarks that things were heavy and insinuating that I wouldn't be able to lift them. A review of how you will spend this day: in the stinky stock room of a Walmart, watching people remove bales of Hershey product from the top shelf with a forklift, then you will watch the rep put candy into the display and the whole time you're supposed to be asking them questions while trying to keep up with them. I attempted to help him and he seemed offended (not sure if it was a liability or what, but I couldn't handle watching him do this hard labor by himself. Next point: THIS IS A HARD LABOR JOB. You will be towing numerous boxes around the store on a cart, stocking all the shelves with Hershey inventory, placing boxes in the baler, and small talking with the backroom Walmart employees (these people will be your only interaction for 90% of the day. I didn't get to see any type of data analysis they supposedly do to sell things. There was not much selling going on. At the Walmart I went to, floor space was typically offered to the rep, and the rep did all the set up. I was exhausted and my field day was cut short. PS- do not apply for this job unless you have already graduated college. They won't consider you because, all though it may take them 5 months to fill the position, they count you out if they have to wait even 1 month for you to graduate.

If you don't mind stocking shelves, heavy lifting, communicating with minimum wage workers constantly, and spending your days in Walmart, this job is for you. The pay and benefits are nice. But my rep did tell me that (although not required, it is expected for you to work around 60 hours a week.) you get paid bonus, but is this really worth that?

I went into my field day sort of expecting this. But in the end, it just wasn't the job for me. I think the fact that I was an undergrad and that there were too many moments of silence were the reasons for me not moving forward in the process. However, they never gave me feedback or reasons for not moving me on to the next step. I got a standard rejection. BUT If I'd moved on to the next interview and accepted the job, I would be very unhappy with my decision. NOT for someone who loves marketing. NOT for someone who wants to do more talking than stocking or for someone who wants to do legitimate sales.

OVERALL: this interview process is too stringent and ridiculous for the work you'll be doing. You're NOT just setting up small displays, you're stocking them like a highly-overworked Walmart employee.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to establish a relationship with a customer in a sales position.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to use data to support your idea.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Jacksonville, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

Received an initial phone interview, than was contacted for a phone interview with the territory manager.two days later i was contacted saying they were moving forward with me and wanted to schedule a field day. Met another RSM for the field day that was approx 4 hours long. Waiting now to see if they are moving on with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Hershey, PA).

Interview

The process is multi-step. First I went through a phone screening from a woman on the sales talent acquisition team. It wasn't hard pressing and it lasted only about 20 minutes. The woman was friendly and the screening was meant to get a feel for what type of person I am and a basic understanding of my experiences. Also, others will tell you that Hershey is a company that you must be open to relocating for otherwise you will not move further in the process even if you'd never end up having to relocate. After the screening you must do their video interview where you are asked questions in STAR format, its a bit awkward having to answer to a computer since the questions are prerecorded, but nothing to difficult just rehearse beforehand. After that you undergo a field day experience with an RSR. You'll learn what the job consists of, the RSR assigned to me was very experienced and helpful as well as friendly (note: the job is not just selling your rights to display the products in the store, but its also setting up the displays, stocking the product). Lastly, I am awaiting my interview next wednesday with the sales hiring team including the hiring manager for the region that I am applying for. Tips for success, research research research the company itself and possible questions that you'll be asked. Good luck I'm sure you'll do great. They love those who are well rounded, able to think quick, and get out of their comfort zone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a challenging sale?
      Tell me about a time you showed initiative?
      Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
      Tell me about a time you had to negotiate with someone?