The Hershey Company Retail Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

3.2

120 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process is quite long, but it is not very difficult at all. Be energetic, do your research on the company and its products, and use STAR in the interviews to show that you will be a good fit in the position. Make sure they know you're willing to relocate, it is a must.

1st Step: Quick phone screening, goes over job responsibilities, your resume, why you want the position

2nd Step: Webcam Recording in STAR Format, you only get one chance so take your time to formulate your answer once the question is asked. I will list some of the questions below.

3rd Step: Field Day with an RSR in your area. You will meet them at one of their accounts early and spend most of the day following them/ helping set up displays, stocking the shelves to secure prime location, and meeting with store managers and employees. Be positive, curious, and make small talk. Keep in mind that they usually work alone and having some company and someone to talk to is nice. They may or may not allow you to help them as they stock shelves. If they don't let you take notes and learn how your RSR became successful and show them you have those qualities.

4th Step: You will interview with your manager over the phone or through a video chat, my interview lasted about an hour and was similar to the Webcam Recording. Be enthusiastic about the position and what you'll be doing. Show them you'll be able to hold conversation with store managers and let them know why you want the job and what makes you different than the other candidates. They will call you in a week or so and offer you the position if they think you're a good fit. If they select someone else, expect an email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use data to support proof in order to influence someone...
    Tell me about a time when you did significantly more than was required of you in a job/class...
    How would you prepare for meeting with a client store manager?
    Tell me about a time you bit off more than you could chew and how you learned from it....   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Hershey Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Anaheim, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Starts with a 20ish minute phone interview. Then you have to do an awkward one sided video interview. A video recording asks you questions and it records you answering. The next part is a field day where you go out with a representative to get a feel for what a day on the job is like. I haven't done mine yet, so I'm not sure what is next.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter next step is a taped video interview, awkward experience where you are asked a series of 9 questions then have 3 minutes to answer each in STAR format. If you are experienced but do not 'fit' what they want e.g. young, extroverted, correct gender, then do not apply. I have over 10+ years experience in this role but was not 'qualified' -glorified merchandising role at best

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company in May 2017.

Interview

Four steps:

-Phone interview with HR. This was pretty short, only about 15 minutes. Went over past experiences and asked a couple STAR based questions (situation, task, action, response).
    -One way video interview. A recording asks you 9 questions, you have 3 seconds before you start answering, and then you have 3 minutes for each question. These were mostly STAR based questions again. Definitely research popular STAR questions and practice your answers. Can be a little awkward not actually speaking to anyone.
    -Field day with another RSR. This is extremely helpful to get an idea of what the job you will be doing is like on a day to day basis. You spend the entire day with the rep, and have the ability to ask them as many questions as you want. I didn't really know what the job was like, I just stumbled upon the position on LinkedIn, so I learned a lot.
    -Skype interview with the DM in the territory you're applying to. This lasted about 30 min and he asked me basic questions and some more STAR based ones. He said I might have one more interview with his boss, but I didn't end up having to. He called me the next week and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• Why Hershey?
      A lot of star based questions. An example of this would be: describe a time you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2017.

Interview

They came to my school career fair and I was asked back for a next-day interview where they asked behavioral questions and if I was willing to relocate- basically a get to know you interview and was relatively easy. After that I was asked to complete a field day with a RSR who was in the area. They were super nice and it was great to see what a day in life would be like if I did have this job. The field day went really well and I'm waiting to hear back from them about the next steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (New York, NY).

Interview

I met them at a career fair. I was invited for a next day interview. They asked behavioral questions and questions about myself. The interview was not too difficult. If they decide to move you forward, you will be invited to do a field day ride along. This was extremely helpful because it showed exactly what you would be doing in this position on a daily basis. I'm still waiting to hear back about the next steps.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (New York, NY).

Interview

5 steps. Somewhere in the middle there was an awkward video interview. Just come prepared with the typical behavioral answers and make sure to be talkative. Some higher ups just try to picture if you can be with a buyer so being talkative goes a long ways.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hershey Company in November 2016.

Interview

I found Hershey's at the college career fair, and got an interview a few weeks later on campus. The interview went well and I was moved to the next step which was a ride along with a Hershey's field representative. The ride along was super insightful to see what you'd be doing in the daily job. I was then offered a 3rd interview, this one being a video interview. I haven't done that interview yet, but it is scheduled. Hershey's uses the STAR format that they want you to structure your answers with.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to negotiate something.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at my school and they scheduled for me an interview the next day. After, I did a ride along a few weeks later with a rep. We stocked shelves at Walmart for hours. It is not a boring job, but not for me. Did not receive a final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hershey Company (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online and after about a week and a half I got a call from what I thought was a recruiter. It was a recruiter, just not one from Hershey. It turns out that they outsource all of their recruiting to a third party. The recruiter had no idea what the job entailed and I could tell by his tone of voice that he was reading the same description online word for word. I was then asked to complete a very strange video recording interview where I was essentially talking to a video recording. Very bizarre. Then a week later I was told I wasn't moving forward. Easily one of the worst interview processes I have been through.