The Home Depot Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at The Home Depot

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Shreveport, LA) in June 2010.

Interview

Received a call from Atlanta store support center. Scheduled a later date to conduct a formal phone interview. Received call on date scheduled and interview lasted approximately 45 minutes. Questions of why home depot, tell me about a time, strengths, opportunities. Recruiter was impressed and said she was going to have the store contact me but to please be patient because the store manager and DHRM were taking vacations. Approximately 1 week later I was called by store manager to come in for an informal interview. Arrived on time and spent time speaking about experience etc. Was called by recruiter later in the week to schedule formal assessment that should last 4 1/2 hours with a group of people. Arrived early for assessment. Set of 3 tests with 30 minutes for each. P&l questions, personality questions and customer service questions. Then sat down for a formal interview with store manager and DHRM. Formal set of questions and note taking. Was offered job 2 days later. Waiting to hear back on background check/drug test. Have concerns on background check based upon 17 year old felony that was expunged...

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary was fair, no negotiation needed.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Usually two interviews first with an assistant manager than one with the store manager.
    Easy questions basically asking what would u do if put in a certain situation

Negotiation

Pay is a set amonut so it was not negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

As always with Home Depot, need to do background checks, tests and interviews. All went well for me, but the job offer was pathetic and administered by a Regional HR Asst that had no authority. It was a take it or leave it attitude.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall specifics. Big on ethics, reporting peers if they steal, etc.   Answer Question

The pay was below the bottom of the Glassdoor salary range, in spite of work experience and test scores that should have put me at the top of the range.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Tampa, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

Asked a series of questions to best determine fit for Assistant Manager position

Interview Questions

• How would you get to know the customers at your new location?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2011.

Interview

I was already working for Depot when I was asked to take the RMA. The RMA consisted of 3 written tests and one panel interview. The three written test were business acumen, personality test, and customer service test. Most questions had 4-5 possible answers and the best answer equals the highest possible points. Interview questions are your standard script questioning. "Name a time when you had to perform multiple tasks, How did you do" , or "Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer" etc. After passing the RMA it was just a matter of waiting for a position to open. Once there was an open position, I had to go for a "Fit" interview where I interviewed with the Store Manager and District Human Resource Manager. No big deal with this interview, relaxed but still scripted. Then just had to wait about a week for a call back, after the offer I asked for some time and they gave me a day to decide.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to develop another associate. What was that like and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were given a project. How did you complete it and what were the results.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not attempt negotiations because I felt the pay was what I was hoping for (maybe even a bit better)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

Interview process started with a test of retail knowledge - operations, profit & loss, balance sheets,customer service related questions. Test took 3 hours. Next was an interview with the district manager and human resourse manager. Questions asked were what if questions and tell me about a time when questions. All of which leads to the conclusion that whoever is the best at story telling gets the job. This was proven to be true when the subsequent batch of new assistant managers hit the stores. An awful lot of people very full of themselves and how great they are. Didn't matter if they knew anything as long as they could talk like they do. Which doesn't help associates or customers one bit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a group and no one wanted to follow your lead. What did you do to overcome the negative atmosphere.   Answer Question

Work required a minimum of 55 hours a week, for a salary that was within $10,000 of what I do now. I like having a life and this job would allow no time for me and my family. The commute would have tripled. I did not feel I was ready for the job.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2010.

Interview

took thirty minutes, asked alot of behavioral based questions,

Interview Questions

Negotiation

depending on experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverdale, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Riverdale, GA) in February 2010.

Interview

Ok place to work...you get sucked in as the years goes by...

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you went out of way to help a customer.   Answer Question

Yearly pay was low especially if your not in the "GOOD OLD BOY CLICK"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shreveport, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Shreveport, LA) in May 2012.

Interview

Obtained multiple supervisory positions and then recommended by multiple salaried managers from employed region.
    Position in region became available, selected for RMA (Retail Management Assessment), panel interview, selected for interview with District Manager and Human Resource Manager for Store Assistant Manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to communicate with another person from a different background.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation when you had to utilize different means of different sources in order to achieve a goal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Denver, CO) in July 2009.

Interview

The initial interview process can be frustrating as the communication can be inconsistent and unreliable for dates, times, and places. When you do get to the hiring portion you will be administered an online test that is composed of three major sections, primarily Leadership Acumen, Management Acumen, and Business Acumen. After that you are conducted to an interview that last roughly 30 - 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Nearly all questions will be a variant of, "Name a time or example when, such and such occurred...". Example: "Provide an example of when you had to manage two or more associates who did not get along, but the success of the assignment was incumbent upon cooperation of the entire team. How did you correct the quarreling associates? What specific actions/steps did you take to correct the problem? Were you successful in achieving cooperation? What was the outcome of the assignment?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

They ask you what you believe the pay should be. They immediately return with their offer which is in fact a fixed rate. If you disagree and provide a counter offer you will rebuffed with a take it or leave it answer. There is a feigned appearance of negotiation. There in fact is not one.