The Home Depot Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.3

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Portland, OR).

Interview

Pleasant, Manager seemed to care about my input. The manager took the time to show me around the store and point out different aspects to the departments and store that I was not aware of. It was nice that he called other employees by name and they also seemed comfortable with him.

Interview Questions

• They ask for examples of how I had dealt with angry customers in previous roles. They also ask my opinion on current processes and how I thought they could be changed or improved. I liked the fact that they seemed to value my experience from other avenues and welcomed new viewpoints. It appeared that they were willing and open to improvement and not just stuck in "this is they way we do it".   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Grandville, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Formal question based, relaxed environment, three interviews the last one being a short one with the store manager. Be yourself and honest look at the department you will be in to see if you can do the job from a physical standpoint.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

it was 3-5 interviews with different store managers within the district. The process took around 2 months to get an offer. They usually try to see what store would be the best for you

Interview Questions

• Generic questions like, If you were in the store and you saw someone stealing what would your first instinct be to do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Green Bay, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Laid back, preloaded questions. Told there will be further interviews. Very structured, set interview process, could not offer a job at this stage. I dressed business casual and felt very over dressed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Tucson, AZ) in March 2014.

Interview

Everything is done thru a central HR center online. Once you register then you may search and apply for as many jobs as they've available. I received a call back the next morning for a phone interview the first part of which was done by a computer. After four questions I was connected to a live interviewer who followed up with six additional questions. She was polite, professional and easy to understand. She made me comfortable and waited patiently to type the answers.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult life experience and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

Interview

Basic retail questions, had a phone screen first, then you get a call from store to schedule interview with management, then background check and drug test. Once complete you attend orientation and start.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in December 2012.

Interview

Fairly general,expect two managers present the (ASM ) Assistant Store Manager,that you will be working directly under and the Store Manager. Basic questions name a time you had a difficult customer/customer complaint and what did you do to resolve their problems,name a time you had to discipline an associate,what actions were taken.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a discrepancy between two direct reports.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation,take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Norfolk, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was a shoo-in for DSup when I applied. My interview took place with the Store Manager in a hall way and lasted about 30 seconds. He essentially asked if I wanted the job. I said yes. That was it.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be a Supervisor?   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2011.

Interview

Very Smooth and relaxed three stage interview process, interviewed by Hr manager then three ASM's, Finally the store manager. The ASM's felt threatened by my knowledge and experience. The store manager was out going.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Diego, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I was called in to the Office sat down and asked some RP questions. what do you do is you have a customer mad at you or one of your associates. how do you handle an associate's that is mad?

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a mad customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just be your self., and say how much you like working with customers and that their need's come first and for most.