The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions

Interviews at The Home Depot

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concordville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Concordville, PA) in July 2012.

Interview

was never given the name of who i'd be meeting with. I sat in the training room for an hour and a half before i was interviewed. The interviewer was not prepared to interview me. He didn't have any of my information and had no idea what department I was interviewing for. This took an addition 15 minutes for him to find my information. I was in the store for an hour and fifty five minutes 10 minutes of which was the interview, the other hour and 45 minutes was me waiting to be interviewed. At the end of the interview, I was told I would most likely be hired and should expect a call within the next few days. Not only did I not get a call, but when i contacted the store manager, she sent me a letter telling me I didn't meet their needs and that i would not be offered a job.

Interview Questions

• I answered all questions professionally and in a timely manner. I was formerly in charge of hiring supervisors and store managers but recently decided to change direction and thought Home Depot would be a good fit for my credentials.....which are outstanding by the way.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Home Depot is looking more and more for people who are willing to assist customers with their needs as a customer. Experience in construction or carpentry, plumbing or electrical is not 100% needed in all cases. There are looking for people to interact with customers and provide training for new hires to get product knowledge to assist customers.

Interview Questions

• Questions are fairly straight forward, most people usually don't even answer the interview question when asked. You mostly will be asked about your experiences relative to the job, difficulties you've overcome in other jobs and things you've done to go outside the realm of your previous jobs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Tulsa, OK) in August 2013.

Interview

Very nice, professional, kind, great interview

Interview Questions

• No difficult question, decade years experience in the field, the question was not a problem.   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Naperville, IL) in July 2009.

Interview

Two people will interview you only after the first interviewer passes you on. If they tell you that they will be in contact with you, they won't call you back.

Interview Questions

• How you would handle two associates not getting along with each other.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will usually pay you a little more than you were making, but they won't go to far beyond tha.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews each about week or so apart. the whole atmospere was very unprofessional. The offices and rooms were dirty and messy. I looked passed all that because I wanted to work there. In hind site I should have followed my gut impression. The way the management behaved was just like their offices - dirty and messy.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic stuff. Designed for inexperienced or less seasoned individuals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Antonio, TX) in February 2009.

Interview

Per filled out questions they ask

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Portland, OR) in June 2009.

Interview

Starts with online application. Atlanta screens applications and contact most. Basic 5-6 question "tell me about a time when.." interview follows. Drug test. Next day, welcome to Home Depot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were asked for assistance with something that you knew nothing about and there was no one around to answer the question for you. How would you help the customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Set pay.

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Southfield, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

Most of what you are told is a lie, responsibility are thru the roof. If you can pass a drug test and have all your teeth you will get the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is difficult about the interview you just sit and listen to managers talk about them selves   Answer Question

Negotiation

You take what they offer you or no job. There is no negotiation .

Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Fridley, MN) in March 2009.

Interview

This position is generally announced in-store before any outside postings are made, although you can apply online for this specific role in a variety of stores and departments at any time and be interviewed as it opens up. Most applicants for this job have in-store experience already and it is highly recommended as many of your tasks will be on-the-job and tricky as you have to learn the department you run as well as being a supervisor. Hiring generally involves an assistant manager over your position (Merchandising, Operations or Specialty) and the ASDS (HR/Scheduler) who will be your peer if hired. The Store Manager and District HR rep will determine pay in a range commensurate with your experience and role in the store. The interview process is in-depth, generally requiring answering questions regarding customer service, staffing, conflict resolution and ethics questions and has a role-play element. I highly recommend customer service experience as this is a critical part of the job culture and it will be a daily challenge. You should also be comfortable making decisions for others, delegating duties and holding others accountable (which can mean feeling like the bad-guy sometimes). Understand you will need to be flexible, expect change and be ready for responsibility over people, hundreds of thousands of dollars in merchandise and safety with both vehicles and general floor conditions. This is a demanding role and the position is treated as a business owner rather than a "leader" among floor associates. Numbers, especially sales, margin, costs, hours and inventory will require much attention and will be a focus of managers so take this area seriously.

Interview Questions

• I can't peg a single question as the most difficult, but the areas most often troubling for department supervisors are dealing with difficult or unmotivated associates and knowing how and when to discipline and improve them. Another huge issue is understanding how to deal with an irate customer (regardless of whose fault the issue may be).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told what they would offer and I was given a time-frame to accept. I did make a counter offer slightly higher as I had a lot of background and experience in this area as well as additional education. I was met roughly in the middle and my raises and compensation have been good since.

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Manager had a lot to say about their self and their positions. Read from a script.

Negotiation

No negation-set in stone