The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions

Interviews at The Home Depot

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Missouri City, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Missouri City, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

First of all, I had an interview and the Store Manager(SM) was at lunch. I waited 45 minutes. The assistant store manager(ASM) comes in no one could find my application and doesn't know how to print another one off the computer. I'm being interviewed by someone elses application. The Human Resources(HR) person comes in from lunch about 5 minutes later(the person who gave me the interview time) did not know where my application was(printed one-did a whole new packet). SM comes in 15 minutes later(AN HOUR LATE!) No apology. Did not interview me. There was no where to interview me we went from office to office. After being interviewed by ASM (the SM, ASM and HR talk for about 5 minutes in a office). The ASM comes out and say they would call me at the end of the week. That has been a very long week. Why lie? I really need a job I have bills too! Well at lease they treat the customers better than they do future employees. These are the type of people that are actually running one of america's top companies. Overall the experience was just horrible! The moral to this story is that there are people out here that really really need a job and just because you have one don't give you the right to be so insensitive to that because you could very easily be on that side of the fence. I hope this story helps someone.

Interview Questions

• If you noticed an employee doing a task and it could be done another way to save time. What would you do?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Savannah, GA) in February 2009.

Interview

After applying for the position online( this included personality exams, and some skills testing) there was a 1 on 1 interview, a second invitation that involved panel interview, then acceptance of drug and background testing. After applying online, one must announce your desire for the job to the store management, and take the lead ( ion a non-pushy way) in maintaining contact until a decision is reached.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you have had to handle as a supervisor?   1 Answer
    • what can you offer our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes. Know about the company you are negotiating with, know what your rane of acceptable income is, know enough about the company to present you case in terms of how you will help the company achieve their goals. Spend some time walking the store at wich you wish to be employed. Note what The focus is of the management staf, look for areas you may be able to improve, and have specific "SMART" goals you wish to get done for the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Westminster, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

i was recommended, i applied i was asked to interview took the interview, and my managerasked me some unreal questions that she was pretty much gonna not hire me from the gate cause she already knew my additude, but she had to go through the motions she is very young and in my opinion inexperienced

Interview Questions

• do you want to be a supervisor   1 Answer
    • why do you want to be a supervisor   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Tulsa, OK) in August 2013.

Interview

Very nice, professional, kind, great interview

Interview Questions

• No difficult question, decade years experience in the field, the question was not a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Naperville, IL) in July 2009.

Interview

Two people will interview you only after the first interviewer passes you on. If they tell you that they will be in contact with you, they won't call you back.

Interview Questions

• How you would handle two associates not getting along with each other.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will usually pay you a little more than you were making, but they won't go to far beyond tha.

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Clifton, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

Mary Gennace comes off as sweet, but she really is a bully in sheep's clothing. Took weeks to hear back from her/them and on my first shift they told me not to come to work.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't a question...but I was TOLD that just because I got hired it didn't mean I would get many hours.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating....I was told it paid $ XYZ...Want it?

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Anchorage, AK) in September 2013.

Interview

Very simple. They contacted me with in a few days of my applying and wanted to meet with me. I scheduled an interview. Upon arrival they felt i was more qualified for a managers slot. I was immediately scheduled for a interview with the district human resources department. Two days later I had a job.

Negotiation

Very easy.....

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

2 interviews at initial hire. 2 at each promotion.

Interview Questions

• The worst questions are the scripted "Tell me about a time" questions. They vary with the position in which you are applying. Most revolve around hardship, customer service and accomplishments. Be prepared with specific past experiences before interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Edison, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

received a call from the automated system stating they were seeking to interview me for a department supervisor position. set up interview time and went to first interview. which my all accounts went very, very well. I have over 5 years of previous experience as a department supervisor and over 5 year of experience as a district manager with was my most recent job. not to mention the 15+ years I have in general contracting work in construction. I was making 60k annually not including bonus. Upon my second interview? the general manager was not present even though I was told it would be with him as well as the assistant manager in charge of that specific department. I explained to the assistant manager (whom by the way was pretty professional as well as the first manager) that I was seeking a role with pay that was commensurate to my prior experience and skills that I had in my previous job. and that while I realize wouldn't b making 60k or even low to mid 50's? I understand that you have to start somewhere and I am very willing to take on the role as my research in the pay range was very thorough. the role as department supervisor pays anywhere between 11 and 22 per hour depending on years of experience, education etc... I was very well qualified. and was told by the assistant manager that he cannot extend me a job offer because the GM was not there and that the pay would be more around the 13 dollar per hour range! needless to say I wasn't very pleased to hear that and I did explain to him that this kind of pay was in the very low end of what they compensate for such a role and the I would be needing to make at least 18 per hour in order to make ends meet so I can afford my mortgage etc. again, I was very willing to start out with this company and would still like to very much, they were extremely EAGER to hire me but the job offer even though it was not formal or permitted was insulting to say the least. I thought the home depot was an EOE? I was very saddened to go through what I just went through even though I know they could have been more accommodating with an offer. I still apply to this day to become an assistant manager at home depot and my prior experience fits the role perfectly. it would be nice to speak with someone at your corporate offices about this experience and how I could go about getting fast tracked for an interview at the home depot. again I in no way hold these 2 assistant managers accountable for this process I feel that it could have been handled more gracefully and with more tact financially speaking the role does suit my financial goals to start and I am a father of 3 kids and I am looking to support my wife and children as she does not make enough money with her FT time and we are in need of a better career choice. I was laid off from my previous employer which whom I have a very high level professional reference from.

Interview Questions

• the interview questions on the first round were more structured.(STAR questions) the second interview guy basically did not follow the script and went off the cuff with a couple of questions of which I easily answered. the manager had the packet and drug test ready to hand to me at that time. although he could not because the salary was not in line with what I was expecting and needed to survive.   Answer Question

the salary offer was not even close to what I was expecting for a department supervisor. I had no choice but to walk away. it was very unfortunate as I love the home depot and have great career aspirations to be an assistant manager there one day.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews each about week or so apart. the whole atmospere was very unprofessional. The offices and rooms were dirty and messy. I looked passed all that because I wanted to work there. In hind site I should have followed my gut impression. The way the management behaved was just like their offices - dirty and messy.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic stuff. Designed for inexperienced or less seasoned individuals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

didn't negotiate