The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Department Supervisor Interview Questions

Interviews at The Home Depot

2.4

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

2 interviews at initial hire. 2 at each promotion.

Interview Questions

• The worst questions are the scripted "Tell me about a time" questions. They vary with the position in which you are applying. Most revolve around hardship, customer service and accomplishments. Be prepared with specific past experiences before interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Edison, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

received a call from the automated system stating they were seeking to interview me for a department supervisor position. set up interview time and went to first interview. which my all accounts went very, very well. I have over 5 years of previous experience as a department supervisor and over 5 year of experience as a district manager with was my most recent job. not to mention the 15+ years I have in general contracting work in construction. I was making 60k annually not including bonus. Upon my second interview? the general manager was not present even though I was told it would be with him as well as the assistant manager in charge of that specific department. I explained to the assistant manager (whom by the way was pretty professional as well as the first manager) that I was seeking a role with pay that was commensurate to my prior experience and skills that I had in my previous job. and that while I realize wouldn't b making 60k or even low to mid 50's? I understand that you have to start somewhere and I am very willing to take on the role as my research in the pay range was very thorough. the role as department supervisor pays anywhere between 11 and 22 per hour depending on years of experience, education etc... I was very well qualified. and was told by the assistant manager that he cannot extend me a job offer because the GM was not there and that the pay would be more around the 13 dollar per hour range! needless to say I wasn't very pleased to hear that and I did explain to him that this kind of pay was in the very low end of what they compensate for such a role and the I would be needing to make at least 18 per hour in order to make ends meet so I can afford my mortgage etc. again, I was very willing to start out with this company and would still like to very much, they were extremely EAGER to hire me but the job offer even though it was not formal or permitted was insulting to say the least. I thought the home depot was an EOE? I was very saddened to go through what I just went through even though I know they could have been more accommodating with an offer. I still apply to this day to become an assistant manager at home depot and my prior experience fits the role perfectly. it would be nice to speak with someone at your corporate offices about this experience and how I could go about getting fast tracked for an interview at the home depot. again I in no way hold these 2 assistant managers accountable for this process I feel that it could have been handled more gracefully and with more tact financially speaking the role does suit my financial goals to start and I am a father of 3 kids and I am looking to support my wife and children as she does not make enough money with her FT time and we are in need of a better career choice. I was laid off from my previous employer which whom I have a very high level professional reference from.

Interview Questions

• the interview questions on the first round were more structured.(STAR questions) the second interview guy basically did not follow the script and went off the cuff with a couple of questions of which I easily answered. the manager had the packet and drug test ready to hand to me at that time. although he could not because the salary was not in line with what I was expecting and needed to survive.   Answer Question

the salary offer was not even close to what I was expecting for a department supervisor. I had no choice but to walk away. it was very unfortunate as I love the home depot and have great career aspirations to be an assistant manager there one day.

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2010.

Interview

Be prepared to tell very specific success stories. Use examples, toot your horn. Appreciate HD culture and opportunities.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome your biggest weakness (previously asked) in order to successfully serve a customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was one of about 2000 people applying for 100 jobs in a new store, so I was happy to be offered a job.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Seattle, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Structured interview with approximately 5-7 questions. Be confident in your answers.

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

Online then interview and drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing

Department Supervisor Interview

Interview

Hiring is done through a centralized HR in Atlanta, Ga. If you pass the online assessment they will call for a screening interview, once you pass for the screening interview your name will be sent to the store, who then in turn will schedule in person interview. The interview are probing questions, "Describe a time you had good customer service" "Describe a time you and a fellow employee didn't get along" etc. Once Hired you have a 2-3 week training in house on a computer, then you are 'thrown to the wolves'

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a bad customer experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered a $ I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Thornton, CO) in January 2010.

Interview

It's pretty much a if you're "in" with the management at your store. They know who they will promote before they conduct interviews. I interviewed as a favor to my favorite asst. manager for Front End Supervisor because he had to conduct a certain number of interviews. I didn't even want that position; but I excelled in Customer Service and when I interviewed for Hardware Dept. Supervisor I breezed through it.

Interview Questions

• If you have worked for the depot long enough and know that you are "empowered' to help customers there are no surprising or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You pretty much should take a 1.60/hr. raise. They can find someone else, every associate is expendable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Baltimore, MD) in May 2014.

Interview

The Home Depot's online application process is for the most part easy to navigate. There is a specific sections for veterans which was nice. After submitting my application I was contacted about 2 months later for a phone interview. The lady conducting the interview seemed bored with her job and asked me questions in this monotone voice that was putting me to sleep! I must have done well because I was selected for an interview in the store tomorrow morning. I'll update the rest of the process after that interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific instance that you had to overcome a challenge. How did you handle it? Did you delegate?   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

You apply for any job at THD online. If they want to see you you are then called down for an interview with an assistant manager or store manager. There is another application to fill out. At that time they may decide to offer you a job. Be sure to negotiate the best salary they will accept at the time since your raises are small at THD (usually a quarter a year (or fifty cents if you are a SUPER employee!))

Interview Questions

• Have you ever lied to a customer or done anything dishonest in the course of business?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a certain dollar figure and explained I deserved it. They countered with their best offer. (it was higher than that position usually started at, Note: They do not have a standard scale. Pay is negotiated with certain guidelines.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Jose, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Application submitted online. One interview to obtain first position. Promoted to Supervisor following interviews for two Supervisor positions. Their interview process is quite structured. Not overly challenging. I felt more comfortable than the interviewers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much.