The Home Depot Flooring Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

1.9

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Flooring Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I submitted my application online and was contacted within a week. Did a phone interview with boilerplate interview questions (tell me about yourself, tell me about a time when you multitasked, what experience in sales do you have, etc.). Then from there was contacted within a few days from the store's HR manager to set up an interview. Interviewed with a department manager (though he wasn't from flooring, and I do know that others interview with the assistant store managers). He asked some more general questions in addition to specific sales questions but they weren't expecting me to be a genius about flooring, they just want solid employees who seem to be able to sell for them. For example he asked me to role play selling a carpet to see what I'd bring up (budget, style, location, etc.). After interview they hired me on the spot contingent upon a drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (McHenry, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Well it took a few weeks after submitting the online application, but was eventually contacted by the automated pre-qualification system. After that the interview process was easy, quick, and standard.

They are very organized and know exactly what they are doing! They do extensive background checks, drug screening, and knowledge testing.

All in all if you have good skill in home improvement, not convicted of a felony is some time, you have a good opportunity to be hired

Interview Questions

• What would you do in the situation of a very unsatisfied customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating, I tried. They start all departments at about the same. Earn pay increases with improving skill, knowledge, and responsibilities.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was emailed that I would receive a call for a phone interview, the person on the phone asks you generic interview questions. They are the ones who make the decision whether you move on to the in person interview. When I arrived for my in person interview I was only asked about 5 questions and then offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in Elmont, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Elmont, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

My hiring manager barely looked at my resume. It tasted about 20 minutes at most. You will be contacted by phone if you are willing to accept this job before you interview in person.

Interview Questions

• If a product is in he next aisle over how would you help the customer?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about (whatever department)   1 Answer

Flooring Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Interview was ok they asked a few questions about previous experience etc i was hired on the spot as i had alot of experience just subject to backround check and drugs test

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Columbus, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Straightforward retail questions. Fairly easy.
    -how would you handle difficult customers
    -how would you handle a coworker stealing
    -what do you do when you can't answer a customer's question

Small roleplaying session about a standard interaction with a customer. Product knowledge isn't expected at this point. They're looking more for ability to listen, ask appropriate questions, think on your feet.

Didn't ask any questions about previous jobs, employers, or school. The whole process only took about 20 minutes, the roleplay took up most of the time.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Rocky River, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Rocky River, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with some random call center person, 1st face to face is with the in store HR/ schedule person, 2nd interview is with one of the assistant managers. If you're offered a second interview you'll typically get the job alone with an offer.

Interview Questions

• General knowledge of products and sales/customer service experience   Answer Question

Flooring Specialist Interview

Interview

Interview simply asked about my previous customer service experience, and I was asked what I ate for breakfast. I was asked to dress formally and I brought my resume. I really can say that this is a great company.

Interview Questions

• I always have trouble with the question, "when did you not give excellent customer service.'   Answer Question

Flooring Specialist Interview

Interview

Great questions were asked in interview. As I had extensive knowledge in many areas and knew the lay out of the store, I was hired immediately. Being in the construction field helped alot. I had been in the store many many times and knew were everything they sold was located. For that reason alone I believe I was hired

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were able to give me more money an hour for my Knowledge

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Frederick, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

After applying for the job opening I received a phone call for a telephone interview. I was asked a series of questions relating to customer service. The person conducting the interview sounded like he was about 20 some years old and couldn't have cared less about what I was saying. There were long pauses followed by requests to repeat answers. I have no idea what was being written down but apparently you have to pass this interview before the store gets your application. Great system. NOT!! You're totally at the mercy of some person, who knows where, passing you on in the process. I then received a call from the store to come in for an interview. I went in and interviewed with the assistant store manager, good guy, but basically the same exact questions as the phone interview. Next, a call from HR lady with job offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of exemplary customer service you've provided.   1 Answer