The Home Depot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,571 Interview Reviews

2.3

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Portland, OR).

Interview

Pleasant, Manager seemed to care about my input. The manager took the time to show me around the store and point out different aspects to the departments and store that I was not aware of. It was nice that he called other employees by name and they also seemed comfortable with him.

Interview Questions

• They ask for examples of how I had dealt with angry customers in previous roles. They also ask my opinion on current processes and how I thought they could be changed or improved. I liked the fact that they seemed to value my experience from other avenues and welcomed new viewpoints. It appeared that they were willing and open to improvement and not just stuck in "this is they way we do it".   Answer Question

Order Fulfillment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I got there 20 minutes early and I had to wait over an hour before my interview started. It was a long wait for no offer. Would only try again if I get no other offers.

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Huntsville, AL).

Interview

The interview process was basic. I would encourage anyone interviewing to look like you want a job, ie. Suit and tie. Management was polite and interviews started ontime. I applied for a loss prevention job which is still being advertised online. This job does not exist so I took a part time job until I get hired sind what I love. They did not tell me in the interview that the position I applied for didn't exist. They just dais it wasn't available at this location, leading me to believe that if I took a part time job it may be a matter of time before that position penned up. I can't say enough about how nice everyone is, from top management on down to fellow associates. However, the pay is the least I've made in 26 years at any job I've had. Other than that is a great place to work while looking for a career. A mouth swab drug test was administered during the interview, towards the end.

Interview Questions

• If a customer came up to you and asled where an item was and you knew,what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as it was aspirin abs lots of applicants were streaming in. During any other time I believe I could have negotiated up 2 dollars an hour.

Systems Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Very professional, they made the interview very easy, asking simple question, to understand how you would mesh with their team. The Home Depot has a unique it interesting way of their core values. Once you understand them it is easy to get onboard with what they have going on.

Interview Questions

• What does inventory mean to you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Very professional and mild mannered staff. Possibly an awesome place to work. Staff and supervisors were nice and welcoming. The process if liked took nearly 45 min, introduction to other supervisors and provided personal experiences and opportunity for growth.

Worst Interview - Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

This was by far the worst interview experience I've ever had.

I was contacted by a recruiter for an Analyst position in the Digital Marketing dept. She sent my resume to Home Depot, who contacted the recruiting agency back a week later to offer me an interview.

So I was extremely nervous going into this interview—and that was pretty much my downfall (They told the recruiter they didn’t want to hire me because “we could tell she was nervous.”) I also really, really wanted this job, and I haven’t been to an interview in years—so I pretty much worked myself up and then bombed. But that wasn’t the worst of it.

The questions were surprisingly easy and simple--pretty much the most ordinary, expected questions you could ask in an interview.

What made the experience awful: They started mocking and laughing at me for being visibly anxious. This completely threw me off and made things worse. Anytime I started to speak, they would look over at each other and smirk or laugh under their breath. The guy especially was extremely belittling--and he only asked me one question the entire time. Instead, whenever I started to answer one of the very simple questions the girl asked, he would sigh loudly, snort, or roll his eyes while the girl smirked at me. He acted annoyed and sulky the whole time, like I was taking up his time. The girl who actually asked me questions would side-eye him and sort of snicker under her breath, like I was a joke—this would all happen pretty much anytime I started to speak during the interview.

I was admittedly already very nervous. I expected them to be tough, but I did not expect this. I did not expect to be mocked for having anxiety. I have no idea how I was coming across—or what I was doing that was so awkward or weird or deserving of this. It was extremely unusual. I’ve bombed interviews before (This was the first time in years—since I first started interviewing), but I’ve never been treated like this because of it. This was really, really humiliating. If I fail an interview, I don’t expect a job offer, but I at least expect some dignity. Most hiring managers will still treat you like a human being. I’ve never been so disrespected in a hiring process.

If this was some sort of tactic, I don’t believe there is any valid practical or rational reason for it. If this was to see how I would do under pressure, I can't imagine any professional scenario in which someone is being openly mocked and made fun of for a serious mental health issue, and the workplace isn't a completely toxic, ineffective work environment. I have worked under pressure before--real pressure, not something akin to middle-school bullying--and I do really well with that.

This is supposed to be a respectable corporation, but the whole interview felt extremely unprofessional and flat out rude. If you truly believe that a person’s anxiety during an interview is a reflection of how well they’ll do a job (as an analyst), you are free to not hire them. But to openly make fun of someone for being anxious during the interview is wildly inappropriate. There's also the concern that this an actual mental health issue for so many people.. and for a hiring manager to belittle or mock someone for it in a professional setting seriously borders on unethical.

Receiving Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Duluth, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

There was none. I was made to wait beyond agreed time, person was not the one I spoke to on phone or the one who was supposed to interview me. We walked to the back and he said I have no supervisor positions open, only associate openings. I was lied to and my time was wasted. I'm not sue if it was because I am too old (53 but very healthy) or too educated (5 degrees on my resume) or cronyism allows hiring of just people's friends but what a joke! I won't even shop here now...Menards gets all my business now!

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked anything. Either his mind was made up or they completely wasted my time.   Answer Question

Customer Service Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Brick, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

Why the bait and switch?

Got an email to call staffing center which I did. Staffing center advised that the position was for the customer service desk special orders. I scheduled my interview and met with management.

I was asked to fill out an availability work sheet and was told the position was a seasonal garden associate at $10 a hour. I had to decline, this was a waste of both the managers time and my time. I think it's great that prospective employees are offered positions other than what they applied for but be honest about it when contacted.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was very easy with basic customer related questions . I applied online and got a call within 3 days to attend interview at the store . I went to store and did it followed by drug test. A week later I got a call that you are hired . Thats it.😊

MET Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Dothan, AL) in April 2017.

Interview

I was called from an Atlanta area code number that asked a few questions to determine if I was fit for the job. After answering yes to them, I was asked to come in for an interview.

The interview process was easy and straightforward. The supervisor asked about 6 questions and took no longer than 30 minutes. About 5 days later, they called and offered me the job. Overall, very pleasant.