The Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 17, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Surprise, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Very brief introductory meeting after the call back from doing the personality assessment. Basic questions at the person to person interview. Description of past experience and how you feel you will fit with in the company and basic questions about how you would interact with customers in various situations. After the interview and swab drug test and sign for a back ground check

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a customer who was upset about quality or price of a product   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Houston, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Very easy straight to the point, asked about work experience and was asked to mention examples of customer service experience situations. And mentioned examples from other jobs to help me gain valuable knowledge.

Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Stanton, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Asked a series of questions regarding various customer service scenarios and how you (as an associate) would handle them. Interviewer also went over all previous experience and how that would translate into your position at The Home Depot

Interview Questions

• In your previous experience, what was the most challenging encounter you had with a customer and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Branch, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Home Depot (West Branch, MI).

Interview

Had and interview with the HR Manager at a recruiting event, and then I called over and over to get an interview in the store. Finally Got one with the department supervisor and later with the store manager, alpine when Inwas made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you recall a time when you had a disagreement with a customer? How did you handle that?
      If a customer is buying a 2x4 what 9other questions would you ask? (E.g. Do you have all the hardware, do you need any paint, etc.)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The two initial interviews were conducted over the phone and at relatively early times in the morning due to being on the west coast (Home Depot headquarters are located on the east coast, so I received calls between 6 and 7am local time).

I was called in for an interview at the first store. The experience was very negative and I felt like the ASDS and DS who I interviewed with were either extremely overwhelmed by their workloads or were not qualified to be in a position of interviewing candidates. Both seemed like they would rather jump off a bridge than conduct another interview. I did not move far enough in the interview process to be offered a job, but if they had offered me one in the initial interview, I would have declined due entirely to their lack of morale.

I then applied at a second store. I went through the same phone interview process and physically went to the store to meet with the ASDS or ASM twice, but was unable to meet with either. Nonetheless, I supplied a physical copy of my resume and cover letter on both occasions. Within two weeks, I was called by the store ASDS and asked when I was available for an interview. I was available immediately and drove to the store for my interview 15 minutes later. The interview process took about 40 minutes and included six questions, though I have forgotten them by now. I was offered a position on the spot for Special Services. The drug test was completed in-store with a saliva swab.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You are offered a flat hourly rate and you can accept it or decline. At my store, that rate is $9/hr for cashiers, $10/hr for sales associates and service desk associates, and $11/hr for freight associates.

Sales Associate - Lumber Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line. The process involved numerous on-line skill tests and personality evaluations. I received a call from an employment screener in Atlanta for a verbal interview. Upon passing that I received a call from the local store manager for an interview at 9:00am. He arrived 10 minutes late. The interview was a series of 5-10 "canned" questions. I was supposed to interview a second time with the department (lumber) supervisor. An hour and a half after arriving home I received another call from the store manager asking if I'd be interested in a Sales Associate - Hardware Dept. position (I never found out what happened to the Lumber Dept. position I originally applied for). The Store Manager asked me to come in later that afternoon for an on-site drug test (new policy for the store) and to complete some more paperwork (background check authorization and proof of US citizenship). Upon passing the drug test and background check I was called in for orientation. The entire process took just over a week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Home Depot?
      How would you handle a situation where a customer is being abusive to you?
      Why should I hire you?
      There were two others which I do not recall.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any; it was take it or leave it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bossier City, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Bossier City, LA) in August 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. Came into the store and let them know I was there to be interviewed. After a brief wait I was escorted back to the training room where I met with the interviewer. After meeting the interviewer we sat down and went through 6 questions where he recorded my answers and then after answering any questions I had, the interviewer went to meet with their boss and after returning to the room I was told I would be contacted in a few days if a second interview was required.

Interview Questions

• What was one achievement or goal you didn't think you could meet and how did you meet it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

went to back room for interview waited for an hr while they tried to find someone to interview me, finally met with the department head, we talked about what kind of work i have done in the past and he said the position i applied for in flooring wasnt available but said they had a spot in lumber so i said meh it doesnt matter

Interview Questions

• have you worked in retail before   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy. Wait for a phone call and the interview was easy. Basic questions. Make sure to keep in contact with that Home Depot location. Sometimes they forget about you, so keep them in check.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Bronx, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

They asked very general behavioral questions, time you worked with a team. What is great customer service? How do you handle unruly customers ? How do handle stressful situations. What are your strengths etc. Arrived early and was placed in the waiting room for a about 30-45mins, then the hiring manager came to show to me to the training room where the interview was conducted. Pretty easy and laid back interview

Interview Questions

• How do you handle unruly customers ? How do handle stressful situations.   1 Answer