The Home Depot Merchandiser Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2018

2.1

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Escondido, CA).

Interview

I applied for a job with Home Depot on line. After approx. 2 weeks i receive a call from an "888" number on my phone the call was an auto mated male voice confirming that I recently applied for a position with Home Depot the course of the phone call would continue by me pressing 1 or 2 for yes or no. The next part of the automated call was a test I was going to be given the automated voice let me know that IF I were to answer "no" to any of the following questions i would no longer be eligible for a position with Home Depot. The questions were 5 in quantity asking me if I am available to work days, nights or week-ends and a couple of other questions in which I answered all of them 'yes'. "Great" said the automated voice 'now lets schedule you for an interview, the voice gave me an option of what days and hours were available i chose a day and time and I was given a confirmation number . I then received an email confirming the interview. I found this to be cold, just a disturbing form of getting a chance to be hired on with a company and it took away from me personally what I felt that "home' stood for, When I think of Home Depot I always had the visual of a place that sells things for people to build or improve their "Homes' the automate computerized call left me feeling like this company has taken away a responsibility of managers to find employees by weeding them out over the phone just by hearing the voice of someone will show the enthusiasm that is expected when working in a place that deals with customers.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I would do if two fellow employees were to start arguing while in front of me? I was asked what did i do at a previous job that was above and beyond my duties for a customer or fellow employee - this question is ludicrous because every job has different situations and different policies what I may be able to do for a customer at one place may not be plausible at another company due to rules regulations and polices, in other words the person giving the interview may see what I did for a customer while working at another employer as someone who didn't follow the company's policies where i am applying, so this question should have no value to hiring someone and should be omitted from the hiring process- in my opinion. The other question was why Home Depot - why? Well I applied because I thought I would like working for the company - I don't apply for a job if I am not familiar with what they do or have some interest in it, Why not? Because I heard that home depot was hiring and i happen to be looking for a job - prior to when home depot was hiring I was employed so i didn't need follow through since I was already employed. At no time was I asked what i had experience in as far as retail, I was not asked if i was familiar with SKU's or resets or POG's or setting up for holiday merchandise or running inventory on merchandise to make sure that the stock matched the inventory - many times there will be a mis-sale in which a error in the bar code or shoplifting will ultimately cause a store to believe they have merchandise on hand and when a customer is in need for something and there isn't any on the floor or in back stock but the store records show differently, NOTHING, was in reference to the actual position of merchandising - the person giving the interview told me that he was not use to giving interviews and if he happened to fall asleep during the interview to make sure i wake him because he finds the interview process to be quite boring and not his cup of tea, and this person's lack of interest in interviewing me or anyone else has been put in charge of making a decision regarding the future of the applicant as well as the company. That had to be the rudest thing I have ever had said to me at an interview in my life. He then said we were done and that it would be a couple of days and this was a 10 minute interview, I was told that home depot gives 5 min to 10 min interviews if they don't like what they see or hear in the first five minutes they end it and send you on your way if you make it to 10 mins then you have a chance because they like what they saw and heard. So I made it to 10. Never to hear back on the job but to get called in for another interview in which I was interviewed again by a non - manager but an associate - who normally didn't do interviews given no questions regarding the position and she doodled the entire time on a piece of paper then asked me if i had the confirmation number from the automated voice and I said no she said she would look it up and turn it in to the supervisor and then I was told as we walked out together, you know don't give up keep trying I am sure there is a job out there for you. As she flipped her hair and started to talk to another employee with the company about going on break, I know she never gave my information to her supervisor and yet I get another call for another interview a week later for a different position, You know what Home Depot, you blew it with me, your company sucks I will find a job elsewhere. Oh and to top it off after each interview I received an email from the home depot asking me to rate the interviewer and the process and I gave it all thumbs down and then I was offered a selections of coupons and if I wanted to be added to the marketing company that was providing this interview process for home depot....can you believe that? They were never hiring they were looking for customers and surveys - getting paid by some marketing company the survey asked me if i would ever shop at home depot or if I would recommend friends and family to shop at Home depot before this experience yes after this experience I will never step in foot of a Home Depot again, they missed out i would have been an awesome employee but they were looking for someone to breakup their school yard fights while limiting the customer service experience to customers by standing behind that line of limitations they give them, I will take my business to Lowes or Ace .   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

The manager in my case was 30 to 40 minutes late to my interview. It was standard questions that can be answered in thousands of ways. I would guess your personality and like-ability will play more a roll if you have no experience. They go over hours and pay in the interview and do a drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Scranton, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online, it was very generic. Was asked a lot of questions about public health and nutrition programs and how often I used them. No place to attach resume. Was contacted 2 days later via email that I had been selected to move forward in the staffing process and to complete an online screening, which I did. Asked if I was still interested in the job, the hours, etc. I was so the next step was to pick out a date and time for an in-person interview. I chose a date and time and received another email that confirmed my in-person interview. The day before the interview I received 2 separate emails reminding me of my interview date and time. I showed for my interview 10 minutes beforehand and told a gentleman in customer service/special services that I was there for an interview. He said he would make a call. I waited about 5-10 minutes. A gentleman came over to me and introduced himself. He said that he was sorry, but the person who was to conduct the interview was not in the store and can he have my name and contact information, which I supplied to him. He appeared very flustered and nervous. He said something about corporate and store not having the same interview schedule information or something along those lines. He also said that I would receive a call to reschedule. I asked if it would be that day and he said yes. I got back out to my car and felt a bit like I was punched in the stomach. It is now the day after my scheduled interview and I have yet to receive a call to reschedule. I did however receive another email this morning asking me how my interview went. You are kidding me. The worst part of it is that there are actual choices in the questionnaire that you can pick to state why the interview never went on as planned. I chose that interviewer was not there for the interview - it was an actual choice. This obviously means that this happens on a fairly consistent basis. Shame on you, Home Depot, for 1) not having the courtesy to let me know that the interviewer was not going to be there on the date of my interview, 2) not calling or contacting me to reschedule and 3) not allowing me the option to perhaps reschedule in the follow up questionnaire. (After some research, I have seen other reviews where this has happened - do you think that there were cameras on us and when we said that we were there for the interview, they "pre-screened" us based on how we look? I don't know, it's just another thought that ran through my head) Regardless, Home Depot, you wouldn't expect your employees to be rude and inconsiderate to customers and I wouldn't have expected you to be rude and inconsiderate to your (future) employees. I really expected more from you as a company. I withdrew my application and will no longer shop at Home Depot. Very, very, very disappointing. I just wanted others to be aware of the unprofessionalism that exists there. Home Depot, you should be embarrassed, this is a perfect example of how NOT to run a business. I am saddened that this may be the new paradigm when seeking employment.

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Concord, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

sixty minutes with manager. got interview because of a referral from a friend. Manager had to fill out a form and asked specific questions. Showed me around store. introduced to other employees.

Anonymous Employee in Barstow, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Barstow, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email saying I was chosen for an interview. It took about a month to hear back about an interview. I did not have to do a phone screening but instead just answered questions from a link provided then got to schedule my in person interview. I interviewed with the merchandising supervisor. There was 10 questions which were mostly situational questions. I have prior experience in merchandising so it was rather easy. He told be he had 7 other interviews to do and only 1 spot available and he'll contact me later in the week. Two days later I got a call saying I got the position and if I can go in the next day for a drug and background test.

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot in December 2017.

Interview

I went in about 10-15 minutes before my interview was actually scheduled and my interviewer came right away, which really helped with my nerves. He was very nice and walked me around the store, introduced me to everyone on the Merchandising team, and told me quite a bit about what exactly I would be doing if I got the job. We then went to his office where he asked me quite a few questions from a packet. There was probably about 15, and they were mostly all describe a time situations. It was a more difficult interview than I expected, but he was nice and went slow and made me feel very comfortable. The only awkward time was at the end after I asked a few questions we both just sort of sat there, haha. But he said he has a few more interviews to do and will contact the people he hires sometime next week so I’m really hoping I got it!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time questions... such as when my morals were challenged at school or work , those sort of questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

There was a phone screen for 30 minutes with a pre phone interview call to prepare for the interview. The questions were simple and straightforward - all behavioral. They wanted to know how my past experience would relate to the position and also if my personality would work well in this role.

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2017.

Interview

This was a typical interview using scenario based questions where the interviewer would pose a situation. The candidate is then given time to compose a verbal response. Most of the questions are designed to have the candidate give an example of how they handled a situation.

Interview Questions

• What generated your interest in this position?   1 Answer

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

It was very straight forward. Straight to the point as far as what the company expects. Who did the MET work for. And their main priority was to make the vendors look clean and professional.

Interview Questions

• Have you work in this line of work before   1 Answer

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2017.

Interview

nice and responsive process. was invited to the home depot campus in atl but after that lost contact with no update on my status. the hr department was really awesome and were supportive and communicative leading up to it though.

Interview Questions

• theres was a case study where you have to make recommendations based off of charts and numbers so be prepared for that   Answer Question