The Home Depot Merchandiser Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 5, 2018

2.2

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

The manager in my case was 30 to 40 minutes late to my interview. It was standard questions that can be answered in thousands of ways. I would guess your personality and like-ability will play more a roll if you have no experience. They go over hours and pay in the interview and do a drug test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Scranton, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online, it was very generic. Was asked a lot of questions about public health and nutrition programs and how often I used them. No place to attach resume. Was contacted 2 days later via email that I had been selected to move forward in the staffing process and to complete an online screening, which I did. Asked if I was still interested in the job, the hours, etc. I was so the next step was to pick out a date and time for an in-person interview. I chose a date and time and received another email that confirmed my in-person interview. The day before the interview I received 2 separate emails reminding me of my interview date and time. I showed for my interview 10 minutes beforehand and told a gentleman in customer service/special services that I was there for an interview. He said he would make a call. I waited about 5-10 minutes. A gentleman came over to me and introduced himself. He said that he was sorry, but the person who was to conduct the interview was not in the store and can he have my name and contact information, which I supplied to him. He appeared very flustered and nervous. He said something about corporate and store not having the same interview schedule information or something along those lines. He also said that I would receive a call to reschedule. I asked if it would be that day and he said yes. I got back out to my car and felt a bit like I was punched in the stomach. It is now the day after my scheduled interview and I have yet to receive a call to reschedule. I did however receive another email this morning asking me how my interview went. You are kidding me. The worst part of it is that there are actual choices in the questionnaire that you can pick to state why the interview never went on as planned. I chose that interviewer was not there for the interview - it was an actual choice. This obviously means that this happens on a fairly consistent basis. Shame on you, Home Depot, for 1) not having the courtesy to let me know that the interviewer was not going to be there on the date of my interview, 2) not calling or contacting me to reschedule and 3) not allowing me the option to perhaps reschedule in the follow up questionnaire. (After some research, I have seen other reviews where this has happened - do you think that there were cameras on us and when we said that we were there for the interview, they "pre-screened" us based on how we look? I don't know, it's just another thought that ran through my head) Regardless, Home Depot, you wouldn't expect your employees to be rude and inconsiderate to customers and I wouldn't have expected you to be rude and inconsiderate to your (future) employees. I really expected more from you as a company. I withdrew my application and will no longer shop at Home Depot. Very, very, very disappointing. I just wanted others to be aware of the unprofessionalism that exists there. Home Depot, you should be embarrassed, this is a perfect example of how NOT to run a business. I am saddened that this may be the new paradigm when seeking employment.

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Concord, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

sixty minutes with manager. got interview because of a referral from a friend. Manager had to fill out a form and asked specific questions. Showed me around store. introduced to other employees.

Anonymous Employee in Barstow, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Barstow, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email saying I was chosen for an interview. It took about a month to hear back about an interview. I did not have to do a phone screening but instead just answered questions from a link provided then got to schedule my in person interview. I interviewed with the merchandising supervisor. There was 10 questions which were mostly situational questions. I have prior experience in merchandising so it was rather easy. He told be he had 7 other interviews to do and only 1 spot available and he'll contact me later in the week. Two days later I got a call saying I got the position and if I can go in the next day for a drug and background test.

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot in December 2017.

Interview

I went in about 10-15 minutes before my interview was actually scheduled and my interviewer came right away, which really helped with my nerves. He was very nice and walked me around the store, introduced me to everyone on the Merchandising team, and told me quite a bit about what exactly I would be doing if I got the job. We then went to his office where he asked me quite a few questions from a packet. There was probably about 15, and they were mostly all describe a time situations. It was a more difficult interview than I expected, but he was nice and went slow and made me feel very comfortable. The only awkward time was at the end after I asked a few questions we both just sort of sat there, haha. But he said he has a few more interviews to do and will contact the people he hires sometime next week so I’m really hoping I got it!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time questions... such as when my morals were challenged at school or work , those sort of questions.   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2017.

Interview

This was a typical interview using scenario based questions where the interviewer would pose a situation. The candidate is then given time to compose a verbal response. Most of the questions are designed to have the candidate give an example of how they handled a situation.

Interview Questions

• What generated your interest in this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

There was a phone screen for 30 minutes with a pre phone interview call to prepare for the interview. The questions were simple and straightforward - all behavioral. They wanted to know how my past experience would relate to the position and also if my personality would work well in this role.

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

It was very straight forward. Straight to the point as far as what the company expects. Who did the MET work for. And their main priority was to make the vendors look clean and professional.

Interview Questions

• Have you work in this line of work before   1 Answer

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2017.

Interview

nice and responsive process. was invited to the home depot campus in atl but after that lost contact with no update on my status. the hr department was really awesome and were supportive and communicative leading up to it though.

Interview Questions

• theres was a case study where you have to make recommendations based off of charts and numbers so be prepared for that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palisades, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Palisades, NY).

Interview

Asked me questions on experience, as long as you think prior to the interview about all of your experiences and does that relate to the Home Depot you will be fine.