The Home Depot Merchandising Execution Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Merchandising Execution Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at The Home Depot

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Paterson, NJ) in May 2012.

Interview

I had set up an interview with the district supervisor. Due to a personal problem, someone else conducted the interview. I had scheduled a second interview w/ the district supervisor, and he told me to meet him at a certain location. When I arrived, he was not there. I called him, he said he was at another location nearby, so I went there to meet with him. I filled out background check paperwork, and was hired pending the results of a drug test.

Interview Questions

• What does Home Depot have to offer you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. I have a friend in the same position in the company, and said friend told me what they would offer me before I even went for an interview, which was acceptable to me.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Employee in Cape Coral, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Cape Coral, FL).

Interview

Standard interview process. They use a pre-determined set of questions and the interview is basically the same for everyone. You must be available for any shift to have the best chance.

Negotiation

Very straight forward they start you at $9-$10, but if you complete the training and meet their expectations you can be at $12 within a year. Also if your area meets it's sales goals the employees receive cash bonuses quarterly that can equal an extra weeks pay.

Merchandising Execution Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Applied for the job along with a lot of others, pretty much forgot about it til 6 months later when I got a call back about it. I agreed to come in for an interview, me and 2 other supervisors in the back room. A lot of the typical questions you get, "tell me about a time...".

Interview Questions

• Gave you info for a product, you had to memorize basically what it said, and then had to describe it to the interviewer as if they were an associate you were describing a new product to.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Basically, this is the wage, not negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlantic City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Atlantic City, NJ) in February 2013.

Interview

NEVER GOT PAST THE PHONE SCREENING. I applied for a position online. Received an email the next day to call the automated line, which I did 2 days later. (The automated line also called my voicemail the day after the email). I called it, it askes for zipcode, SSN info, asked if I can follow safety procedures, and asked if I can stoop, bend, climb..etc.. Then it transfered me to a LIVE person. They give you a brief scripted introduction about Home Depot. She said the job can be full time of 40 hrs or part time of 25 or less. Well.... The job I applied for is only 11 miles away, but would require travel (in my car) to different locations daily up to or over 30 miles. They reimburse you for mileage OVER 35 miles... and then proceeded to tell me the job pays $9.25 hr. and would I be willing to accept this. I declined. I have over 24 years of experience in this field. The offer was a joke. They basically thanked me for my time and that was it.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expected to hear the scripted line of what the job pays, but I guess it DID save me all the interview time and other formalities.   1 Answer

Truthfully? Do the math. $9.25hr and if I even get 40 hrs a week, that's $370 a week gross. $740 every 2 weeks, take out taxes of say 20%...that's $592, plus I'm paying for gas? My rent is $1025 mo. Maybe They will call back for one of the other positions I am experienced in.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Sterling, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

I got an email asking me to call or visit a website because they were interested in speaking with me regarding my application. I called the number and answered a few questions by selection options on the phone. I was then connected to a representative who asked me a few more questions and then set up a 1 on 1 interview time at the store. I met with the supervisor of the MET team a few days later and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you found a better way to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Germantown, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied for this position online through the Home Depot job website and filled out the application. They sent me an automated e-mail saying that I need to call the retail staffing center for a phone interview. I called 2 days later and the phone interview consisted of automated questions that asked if I could perform the basics of the job and then I was transferred to a person who conducted a 5-10 minute interview with me. The questions themselves were fairly straightforward given that you have at least a year in retail experience or something relevant.

Interview Questions

• What project experience do you have that would qualify you for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2009.

Interview

The whole process seemed fairly standard for retail, they score you with some paper they have. It also seemed to take longer than it should. The one on one was about average but I had to keep coming back to fill out some paper about this or that, pretty annoying. It made me think that it could be run a little more organized. Also, interestingly I was hired about two months before the job actually started.

Interview Questions

• You are asked to role play as an experienced garden associate and the interviewer as a new guy and he needs help figuring out the differences between string trimmers (weed whackers).   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were no negotiations, I was asked what did I make now and when I answered my now manager said something to the effect of I can swing that. Which lead me to believe It was more than average or about average. My advice to others would be know the pay scale which is about $9-$11 an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Vernon Hills, IL) in December 2010.

Interview

Sat down with the Merch. Exec. Mgr. and he asked me about 5 questions as it relates to my past experience and how it would apply to this job. Very easy questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to meet a specific deadline although you had a lot on your plate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Before the interview, I did research on what the positions paid and found that on average it paid 3 dollars more an hour than what they were offering me. In the end, I was told that the pay for this particular position has gone down in the last year and was no longer as high. I feel that was nonsense.

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Boise, ID) in September 2010.

Interview

I was a Home Depot vendor and had a good relationship with the Merchandising Execution Manager prior to my employment.. I had a brief phone interview with this manager prior to doing a panel interview consisting of a Supervisor and the HR Manager. The process also involved a fictitious interaction with a "customer" to explain a product to them.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burleson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Burleson, TX).

Interview

Applied online and got an email to schedule an interview a few days later. Scheduled the interview for the next week. The interview went very smoothly, consisting of the typical questions. The hiring manager told me they would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle an unhappy customer at your prior employment?   Answer Question