The Home Depot Interview Questions in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 20, 2017

2.4

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a quick electronic phone assessment, then was scheduled an interview in person for a few days later. The manager was very friendly. Made me feel comfortable. Asked bunch of standard questions you would get when applying to a customer service job.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

A few days after filling out an online application, which included both personality and job-knowledge tests, I received a call from HD that continued the vetting process. At first I interacted with an automated machine that asked whether I was still interested after learning that the job was only part time, the pay was TBD, etc. Then I got through to a human being who conducted a phone interview. After this interview they immediately set me up for an in-person interview at a store nearby.

The in-person interview was very basic, concerning past experience with retail sales. My interviewer took few notes, and when I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the interview my interviewer gave brief answers. I had the impression this person wanted to shuffle me out the door expeditiously, either because there were a lot of interviews to get through or because the decision had already been made while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• Phone: Describe a time when you encountered an obstacle while working with a team, and how you overcame the obstacle.

In-person: Describe a time when you had to deal with a customer who was upset. What did you do?
      Describe a time when you had to help a customer who was looking for something that your store did not carry. What did you do?
      Describe a time when you were given a project and you encountered a problem that you were unsure you could overcome. What did you do?
      Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2016.

Interview

I was sent to a room to wait for HR to fetch me. The interviewer asked six behavioral questions. Then we had a discussion of availability. They are looking for extreme flexibility.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that required attention to detail and one that relates to being very busy.   Answer Question

Freight Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2016.

Interview

You get brought to the company break room. They have a TV and couches and they welcome you to enjoy them. After a short wait one of the store managers comes to get you. He'll take you to his office and sit you down. He has some papers he kept noting in. He was courteous, respectful and friendly, pretty standard interview.

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2016.

Interview

Easy as long, as you have a computer. The manger in charge of hiring was very off putting, she only spoke to you when she needed info from you and would ignore or calls or say she needs to call you back later and never does if you ever have a question.

Interview Questions

• Give me one example of you providing outstanding customer service?   Answer Question

Lumber Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The two initial interviews were conducted over the phone and at relatively early times in the morning due to being on the west coast (Home Depot headquarters are located on the east coast, so I received calls between 6 and 7am local time).

I was called in for an interview at the first store. The experience was very negative and I felt like the ASDS and DS who I interviewed with were either extremely overwhelmed by their workloads or were not qualified to be in a position of interviewing candidates. Both seemed like they would rather jump off a bridge than conduct another interview. I did not move far enough in the interview process to be offered a job, but if they had offered me one in the initial interview, I would have declined due entirely to their lack of morale.

I then applied at a second store. I went through the same phone interview process and physically went to the store to meet with the ASDS or ASM twice, but was unable to meet with either. Nonetheless, I supplied a physical copy of my resume and cover letter on both occasions. Within two weeks, I was called by the store ASDS and asked when I was available for an interview. I was available immediately and drove to the store for my interview 15 minutes later. The interview process took about 40 minutes and included six questions, though I have forgotten them by now. I was offered a position on the spot for Special Services. The drug test was completed in-store with a saliva swab.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You are offered a flat hourly rate and you can accept it or decline. At my store, that rate is $9/hr for cashiers, $10/hr for sales associates and service desk associates, and $11/hr for freight associates.

Department Manager Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2015.

Interview

Very disorganized, was sent on store interviews 3 times only to discover upon arrival for interview that the position had either been filled (once), or oppty wasn't ever available (twice)

Interview Questions

• How would you manage an associate who was struggling with his/her position?   Answer Question

Merchandising Execution Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

applied online. Answered qualifying questions. Answered their assesment questons. Was briefly interviewed by HR. Was then interviewed by the manager. then scheduled for drug screening at a local Lab. After passing the drug screening there was a scond interview and a job offer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

online application, simple phone interview, in person interview followed by drug test at off site facility. Whole process took about a week. very easy process if you are a social and friendly person.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you provided great customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no real opportunity to negotiate other than oerhaps availability.

Bilingual Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview took about 30 min. I got hired on the spot and was requested to do a drug test that same day. They asked basic questions that are usually asked at retail interviews. You won't get hired until you pass the drug test.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an angry customer?   1 Answer