The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First phone interview then assistant manager interview then store manager interview then you have to do drug test and they will call you back for training which is really long

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

The process was fairly standard. basic interview questions. As long as you are prepared and professional you will be fine. Know about home depot and the variety of great services that they offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Antonio, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was very easy. Mostly standard questions and "what would you..''. The person was very nice and looked like she genuinely care to find right fit for the position. Personnel was very friendly. I was offered position on the spot. Drug test and background check took few days. Overall process was quite easy and fast . So far I'me very happy.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with angry customer?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with rude customer?   Answer Question
    • What are ways you're trying to get better for your position apart company training (something like this, don't remember word by word).   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, it took a few weeks to get an email back. It informed me that i would receive a phone call. It was an automated call asking if i was still interested and about hours and salary, ending with scheduling an appointment for an in person interview. I then received an email about my in person interview. 3 days later i had my in person interview. Got there 15 min early and went to the returns area and was to where to go from there. The lady who interviewed me came out shortly after and was very kind and eased my anxiety right away. They go over your online application and make sure everything is right. Then they read you questions out of a packet and write down your answers. The lady informed me that they had me set to work in the flooring department and ask if i would be able to life heavy tiles. As i am a 5'4" 104 pound female, i didn't feel that i could. The lady informed me that it was okay that they wanted to put you in a place that would work for you as to not set you up to fail. I asked what other departments were open. She informed me that they had tool rental as well as cashier availability. She then showed me around the tool rental area and introduced me to the cashier's head supervisor. After that we went back to the office and was asked what area i would be interested in and i told her that any of those areas would work. She then asked me if i was in a rush and informed her that i wasn't. I was then back in the waiting area, as going to be talking to the manager. Shortly after the manager introduced himself and we went to his office. We mostly talked about ourselves and a bit about the job. After that i went back to the lady who i originally spoke too. She informed me that i was offered a cashier position. After that we signed forms, one for a background check(takes about 1-2days) then did a drug test (oral swab). My orientation is the following saturday.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if a customer was rude to you out of the blue?   Answer Question
    • what would you do if you saw a customer that looked confused?   Answer Question
    • a customer is upset with a person on another department what do you do?   Answer Question
    • what is a time you received excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Jose, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the position. I received a call two weeks later to set up an interview. The associate who took me to the backroom was the one who interviewed me (I think it was supposed to be the assistant manager but he was busy at the moment). She asked me questions from a packet, and they are fairly easy if you prepare for them. Afterward, I went into another room where the assistant manager was. He told me that I was going to do a drug test and sign paperwork for the background check. He also asked for my availability, but because of this, I didn't receive the position.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experiences make you qualified for this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were put in a difficult situation and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an angry or rude customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would handle a situation if a customer asked for a product that is not available/in stock.   Answer Question
    • How would you close the sale with a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Jacksonville, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

The process was a total of two weeks from the phone call to answer questions to the 2nd interview. I am a 16 year old African American male who has never had a job so don't feel discourage because of your age, race, gender or prior job experience . Like I said I have never held an actual job before but have done some volunteer work that would qualify me for the job. The questions were not hard, but some of them were specific to someone who has had a job before. Look presentable with business casual clothes as I wore that attire to both interviews and do research on The Home Depot and the position you are going for. I drive myself so getting to the interviews were not a problem time wise, but I did not bring my parents as the 2nd interview was 10:30 am and they had work so when offered the job as a minor you have to get a parents signature to do the drug test (mouth swab) within 24 hours of the job offer. Apply to as many Home Depot's as possible as well as the positions they offer to better your chances. I hope this helped especially young people like me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgecrest, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Ridgecrest, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty fast. The assistant manager asks me set of questions and it was really conversational. He told me that there will be another interview. So I have to wait. He told me that there are numbers of open position so they will decide where will you be. So I guess I have to wait for the call.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in home depot?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Orange, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

It was an easy process. Applied online and got a call a week later asking for an interview the next day. The interviewer asked 6 different scenarios, fairly easy.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Standard questions followed by an immediate drug test. They just want to make sure you know how to talk to customers and deal with annoying situations if necessary. They ask if you are certified in lift equipment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Lafayette, LA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was on time for my interview and I had to patiently wait a good 10 minutes. My interview was not bad, but the interview only lased 10 minutes. The online application did not specify that i had needed background knowledge. May not get a callback